OFFROAD handling...???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...also forgot to add, I noticed no negative side effects when removing my kj's nuts and rear sway bar

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a HOW TO with pics on this rear sway bar remove

I don't have photos but here you go:

1) Remove the rear wheels, & jack up the rear so the axle hangs down as much as possible.

2) remove the bolts, 2 on each side, that secure the sway bar to the control arms. you'll probably need a breaker bar to get going.

3) Carefully pull the bar out. you'll have to twist & turn the thing to get it out, but you can do it.

I had mine out for about a year. I did feel a difference on-road, much more squat down when changing lanes or swerving to miss stuff in the road. My wife was uncomfortable with the new loss of control, so I put it back on. But it is easy to remove, so when I go off-road, I leave the rear bar behind.

I also have quick disconnects for the front bar & that makes a huge difference. My avatar photo is with no rear bar & the front bar disconnected. The second photo is the other side of the KJ at the same time.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I trimed my bumper today and got down and looked at the rear sway bar....4 bolts looks pretty simple, what would happen if a try to remove it with out jacking it up??

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I trimed my bumper today and got down and looked at the rear sway bar....4 bolts looks pretty simple, what would happen if a try to remove it with out jacking it up??

Unless you're lifted, I don't think it will work for 2 reasons... 1) those bolts are long & tough to turn, you are going to want room to swing your wrench (unless you have an air ratchet, then ignore this one)...2) You are going to need room between the drive train & suspension to work the bended bar out.

If you are lifted, you might be able to do it. IIRC when I put mine back in, with the 4" lift installed, it didn't need to be jacked up.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you're lifted, I don't think it will work for 2 reasons... 1) those bolts are long & tough to turn, you are going to want room to swing your wrench (unless you have an air ratchet, then ignore this one)...2) You are going to need room between the drive train & suspension to work the bended bar out.

If you are lifted, you might be able to do it. IIRC when I put mine back in, with the 4" lift installed, it didn't need to be jacked up.

I got the OME/rancho lift....might try it tomorro afternoon, but I'm not sure I have w wrench that big :D

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just removed the rear sway bar this morning, (4) 18mm bolts and just messed with it until I was able to pull it out, I don't feel much difference on the highway thou but I haven't flexed it yet to see if I see a diference

thankx to tjkj and kjpilot for their help

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll pull apart the rear brake line before you snap and LBJ on a KJ flexing.

hey tjkj when I install my lift one of the front moog #! Came defective so they put bacn the oem, three weeks later I climb a rock that was maybe 2 1/2 ft tall with my front right tire (with the oem LBJ)and on the way home that LBJ got complitly separated and the KJ felt down and I had to get a wrecker and it was a mess , so my questions is, if I were to climb something too tall, could that happened again??
I always blamed the ball joint been one of the ones from the recall, but never made sure

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey tjkj when I install my lift one of the front moog #! Came defective so they put bacn the oem, three weeks later I climb a rock that was maybe 2 1/2 ft tall with my front right tire (with the oem LBJ)and on the way home that LBJ got complitly separated and the KJ felt down and I had to get a wrecker and it was a mess , so my questions is, if I were to climb something too tall, could that happened again??
I always blamed the ball joint been one of the ones from the recall, but never made sure
You had worn ball joints,good ball joints will not separate unless forced past there max angles with great force.

Latest posts

Members online