Off-roading Set Ups?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If you wanted to share any of those sketches of your bumper ideas I am sure they would be interesting. :)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sometimes have a hard time making out someones hand drawn work.
A cad drawing with detailed dimensions would be much better! ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I sometimes have a hard time making out someones hand drawn work.
A cad drawing with detailed dimensions would be much better! ;)

My buddy was wanting a bumper for on the front of his Cherokee. Guy drew one up for him. Looked pretty good on the drawing, but somewhere between the drawing , cutting pieces out, welding them together......it all went terribly wrong. That was last year, its still sitting back behind the garage. Ugly chunk of metal

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I know y'all suggested I wait for bumpers until later but I did go ahead and do some pricing and talking around (because I like to plan things way ahead of time).

I just got a guy quote me $450 for a custom bumper. I'm stoked!
Best place in the Springs to get something like a custom bumper made is Armorolgy(talk to Jed).Not going to be cheap and may take months to get in(he is very,very busy) but he is very talented and a perfectionist.

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best place in the Springs to get something like a custom bumper made is Armorolgy(talk to Jed).Not going to be cheap and may take months to get in(he is very,very busy) but he is very talented and a perfectionist.

Someone referred me to him not too long ago, I planned on trying to getting an appointment to talk to him. I saw their website, his stuff is really awesome!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy was wanting a bumper for on the front of his Cherokee. Guy drew one up for him. Looked pretty good on the drawing, but somewhere between the drawing , cutting pieces out, welding them together......it all went terribly wrong. That was last year, its still sitting back behind the garage. Ugly chunk of metal

Sometimes, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.
And the more the beer while doing, the better it looks! :gr_grin:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5 -3 inch is easy
for 3 inch front
OME 927 front springs with 1/4 inch top plate
Teraflex bumpstops
rear OME 948 springs
one extra upper isolator per side
2 hockey pucks drilled and bolted to the spring perch per side
Plus of course the OME shocks if you want matched setup
There are cheaper variations
OR of course you can go the ultimate lift jeepinbyals adjustable coilovers, more money but ride and handling is great, much more flex , adjustable rebound and compression etc
tires 245-75-16s
jeepinbyal also has some great skids as well, heavy duty better than stock ones which you need out there

lol can someone post links to where to buy this stuff for a noobie?
Would it be cheaper to shop around and get OME springs/struts from different places or to buy a kit from jba? And for this lift would uca's be necessary?

I highlighted the parts I am not sure about. :shrug:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JBA sells the top plates and the isolators. The hockey pucks can be found at a sporting goods store, the internet etc.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
lol can someone post links to where to buy this stuff for a noobie?
Would it be cheaper to shop around and get OME springs/struts from different places or to buy a kit from jba? And for this lift would uca's be necessary?

I highlighted the parts I am not sure about. :shrug:
You can shop around but pretty much OME sets the price on lifts, the markup is small for the vendors so most are in that same price range.
Plus if buying everything from one place you get cheaper shipping and if an issues no problem with getting results.
JBA is one of the best in customer satisfaction before and after the sale .
If you stay under 3 inches , ( i.e. just springs at 2.5 inches and a 1/4 inch top plate for 3 inches of lift) you would not need the UCAs right away. Of course when yours wear out its a great way to upgrade since the ball joints are replaceable and easier alignments

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm searching for info on mounting like a 10"-25" wide LED light bar on the front bumper and saw some discussion here on the topic of where to mount... Has anyone mounted on on the bumper? I've been using the search feature here and keep ending up finding nothing solid. I'm not concerned about drilling and having to possibly fab some support under the bumper but I want to make sure there's at least something under there to tie into if needed to support it. It's a xmas gift idea for my Dad and I'm sure I'll be the one doing the install. Fab wise, I'm not concerned but if it's going to involve a 2 day project to rebuild half the front clip to give it some support where it doesn't just flex around then I'll abandon the gift idea. Any pictures or word or info on mounting a LED light bar on the front bumpers of these KJ's? I'd look myself but I haven't been able to get a peep under the front of his jeep when he hasn't been present and I know he'll put 2 and 2 together if he sees me poking around it...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm searching for info on mounting like a 10"-25" wide LED light bar on the front bumper and saw some discussion here on the topic of where to mount... Has anyone mounted on on the bumper? I've been using the search feature here and keep ending up finding nothing solid. I'm not concerned about drilling and having to possibly fab some support under the bumper but I want to make sure there's at least something under there to tie into if needed to support it. It's a xmas gift idea for my Dad and I'm sure I'll be the one doing the install. Fab wise, I'm not concerned but if it's going to involve a 2 day project to rebuild half the front clip to give it some support where it doesn't just flex around then I'll abandon the gift idea. Any pictures or word or info on mounting a LED light bar on the front bumpers of these KJ's? I'd look myself but I haven't been able to get a peep under the front of his jeep when he hasn't been present and I know he'll put 2 and 2 together if he sees me poking around it...
Best way is to remove bumper cover and make a solid mount under it. Attaching to the frame horns on either side

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way is to remove bumper cover and make a solid mount under it. Attaching to the frame horns on either side

Sounds easy enough... That's somewhat what I expected but not knowing at all what's hiding under the stock bumpers I wasn't sure if it would be as simple as that. I'm definitely not afraid to cut out some plate and weld in something to support it, just wanted to make sure something was under there worth tieing into for the most part.

Thanks! 99.9999% sure I'll go this route for a xmas idea in this case. I'll take some pictures of what I come up with and post once done. I can't be the only person out there that has an interest in mounting these light bars to the bumper now with the costs of them being reasonable finally. (Chinese knock offs at least...)

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Check some of the "bumper" threads and you should find some pics with the fascia removed. My understanding is that it's pretty easy to get it off.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds easy enough... That's somewhat what I expected but not knowing at all what's hiding under the stock bumpers I wasn't sure if it would be as simple as that. I'm definitely not afraid to cut out some plate and weld in something to support it, just wanted to make sure something was under there worth tieing into for the most part.

Thanks! 99.9999% sure I'll go this route for a xmas idea in this case. I'll take some pictures of what I come up with and post once done. I can't be the only person out there that has an interest in mounting these light bars to the bumper now with the costs of them being reasonable finally. (Chinese knock offs at least...)

I can take a pic for you tomorrow, nothing on the front of my 04 right now but, well air. 03 is coming back apart in a few days , bumper off so can get you one of one or the other