Off-roading Set Ups?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so lemme just start off by saying I am not a mechanic, and I am no where near mechanically inclined. Sometimes I get confused when there are two different names for the same part. I'm just now learning how to work on vehicles and get into going on trails and whatnot. I really would like to get my KJ to a point where I can go where ever my husband's TJ goes. I don't need to do anything too crazy, just enough to get me through some moderate trails (I don't want to rock crawl or anything). That being said...

How many of yall regularly use your KJ's for off-roading, and what kinds of sets ups do you think are the most successful?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How deep are your pockets OR what is your budget ?
We can help you with a cheaper 2.5 inch lift etc or on up
Skid plates do you have them?
Tow points etc
Let us know what you have so far, what you'd like to spend and go from there
Lockers front and rear help of course as do lower gears when lifted and larger tires are installed. ARB and DTTs work great
Lots of us have taken ours off road and they do great. No they are not as " flexible " as a TJ with a SFA for example but several folks out your way have wheeled them all over

Heres what they looked like lifted a little bit
John317s silver one at 3.5 inches of lift and 245-75-16s and mine 4 plus inches/ 32s etc
You must be registered for see images attach

Jaymes ( one of the members on here )

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2. I'd take mine where ever a comparably outfitted Wrangler would go. KJs do great off road. While they might not have the flex of a heavily modded SFA (Solid front axle) Jeep, they still have great flex overall. Don't let it deter you!

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How deep are your pockets OR what is your budget ?
We can help you with a cheaper 2.5 inch lift etc or on up
Skid plates do you have them?
Tow points etc
Let us know what you have so far, what you'd like to spend and go from there
Lockers front and rear help of course as do lower gears when lifted and larger tires are installed. ARB and DTTs work great
Lots of us have taken ours off road and they do great. No they are not as " flexible " as a TJ with a SFA for example but several folks out your way have wheeled them all over

Heres what they looked like lifted a little bit
John317s silver one at 3.5 inches of lift and 245-75-16s and mine 4 plus inches/ 32s etc

Jaymes ( one of the members on here )

Both of those rigs are beautiful! As far as the budget goes cheaper is a little better but I'm not incapable of being patient to save up for certain things and I'm in a good position for money right now. Currently my KJ is ALL stock. I've been looking at a few skid plates but I haven't ultimately decided on anything. I was reading that anything beyond a 3" lift requires some extra considerations but I don't quiet understand what I would need if I did want to go that high. But I'm also a short girl so I think it's best I stay in the 2.5-3 range so I can get in and out without too much trouble :happy175:

I had been looking at a few different things from ARB and I really like the bumper they have with the winch plate, and those are things I definitely know I am going to get at some point. We just got a winch onto my husbands TJ and it really does help out when we need it.

I know I'd like to have a roof rack at some point too. This KJ isn't being used for any daily driving, I'll be using it for going out when we want to hit the trails or for when I want to get to a decent fishing or hunting spot, or even for camping out and such. Even then though, I won't be doing anything -too- crazy. (Not intentionally anyway lol).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
2.5 -3 inch is easy
for 3 inch front
OME 927 front springs with 1/4 inch top plate
Teraflex bumpstops
rear OME 948 springs
one extra upper isolator per side
2 hockey pucks drilled and bolted to the spring perch per side
Plus of course the OME shocks if you want matched setup
There are cheaper variations
OR of course you can go the ultimate lift jeepinbyals adjustable coilovers, more money but ride and handling is great, much more flex , adjustable rebound and compression etc
tires 245-75-16s
jeepinbyal also has some great skids as well, heavy duty better than stock ones which you need out there

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I KNOW RIGHT?? I'm already saying "My First Jeep" like I'm going to be buying more and more....like a crazy cat lady except for Jeeps....

have to start somewhere:icon_lol:
My first one was back in the " very early " 1970s and still playing with them

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5 -3 inch is easy
for 3 inch front
OME 927 front springs with 1/4 inch top plate
Teraflex bumpstops
rear OME 948 springs
one extra upper isolator per side
2 hockey pucks drilled and bolted to the spring perch per side
Plus of course the OME shocks if you want matched setup
There are cheaper variations
OR of course you can go the ultimate lift jeepinbyals adjustable coilovers, more money but ride and handling is great, much more flex , adjustable rebound and compression etc
tires 245-75-16s
jeepinbyal also has some great skids as well, heavy duty better than stock ones which you need out there

That sounds more than perfect! Thanks so much, I'll look into both and see if I need the cheaper option or if I can afford to splurge.

I've also been interested in rear bumpers and fender flares but I my searches have been really inconclusive. Any ideas on where I can go for stuff like that?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds more than perfect! Thanks so much, I'll look into both and see if I need the cheaper option or if I can afford to splurge.

I've also been interested in rear bumpers and fender flares but I my searches have been really inconclusive. Any ideas on where I can go for stuff like that?

Fender flares, none available
Rear Bumpers there are some out there
like this maybe ? On mine I have a Rock Lizard with swing out tire carrier and gas can holder ( he's currently not making them and not sure if any more will be made . Then on the maroon one is one of mine, sold a few and trying to get a few more made

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my 02....see my signature for build specs. I can do all the way up to "level 5" trails (the hardest i have been on so for with it)
You must be registered for see images

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fender flares, none available
Rear Bumpers there are some out there
like this maybe ? On mine I have a Rock Lizard with swing out tire carrier and gas can holder ( he's currently not making them and not sure if any more will be made . Then on the maroon one is one of mine, sold a few and trying to get a few more made

Those are both really nice. I would be totally interested in getting one of yours, but there are some things I got to take care of first.

I have a dumb question about the list you gave me for the lift. Are you talking about actual hockey pucks? Or is that a term for a part?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
They are real hockey pucks 2 per side -take a look for the pucks in my photo.
You can see how they work as a rear bump stop..
51973[/ATTACH]"]

The orange thing (stock stop) makes contact with the hockey pucks, to prevent the coil from compressing too far.
The upper isolators (pads) are the black round items on the top, where OME (old man emu) 948 spring makes contact.
One thing Tom did not add to the list is JBA's 4.5 red front upper control arms.
Once lifted with top plate & clevis, these will give you a better alignment and stability with a greaseable zerk for Ball joint.
The red front Upper Control arms really stand out in this pic ..
51975[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• OMESpringsNeedsRePainting.jpg
    OMESpringsNeedsRePainting.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Jeep%20KJ%20Bridge%20Fishing.jpg
    Jeep%20KJ%20Bridge%20Fishing.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 0

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suggestion unless you can afford it ALL now is forget about the front and rear bumpers for now and spend more on the lift and skids.Wheel it like you mean it and since it's not a daily driver it will not matter if you damage or rip your bumper off, which you probably will not(according to your statements about the purpose of this vehicle and trails you will be using)Next I would get a winch.And then if you want to upgrade the bumpers have at it!
Good Luck and happy Wheelin!

Bert

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was looking around doing some pricing when I came across FrankenliftAll J Products - Jeep Liberty KJ FRANKENLIFT. How do you guys feel about them? I was looking at their Frankenlift II package and it looks pretty comprehensive. Would there be anything else I would be wise to add to it? (Like the JBA 4.5 Control Arms? Do I need bumpstops for the front end? Etcetera).

I figured they might be a good middle ground for me to start on and after I finish up my degree and get a better job I can do an upgrade to a JBA system.

Yay or Nay?

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suggestion unless you can afford it ALL now is forget about the front and rear bumpers for now and spend more on the lift and skids.Wheel it like you mean it and since it's not a daily driver it will not matter if you damage or rip your bumper off, which you probably will not(according to your statements about the purpose of this vehicle and trails you will be using)Next I would get a winch.And then if you want to upgrade the bumpers have at it!
Good Luck and happy Wheelin!

Bert

Yeah, I planned on this rig being an ongoing project and I have a list of priorities. I didn't know skids were so important so I moved them up on my priority list, but the bumpers were last on my list. I do think a winch would be a wise investment but for now we at least have one winch going with us all the time so that helps.

Latest posts

Members online