Odd Squeak (Only happens in Drive, not Reverse) Video included

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeaDooDave

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I own a 2006 Jeep Liberty and recently noticed an odd squeak when driving.
I originally thought the noise might have been the rear brakes even though the symptoms didn't exactly seem so, they really needed to be done. After doing the brakes, nothing changed.

I've included a video, figure it would be the best way to show the exact symptoms in attempt to help identify whats going on.

Jeep Noise - YouTube

Here's what I've discovered so far:

1. Only makes the noise in drive
2. Happens when accelerating from a stop or slow speed
3. Happens during idle speed regardless, and only when hitting the gas at a speed above idling speed. You can hear it when accelerating around 10-15mph, then let off the gas and it will immediately go away, then come right back even if you lightly accelerate
4. Comes back very briefly at the moment right before the Jeep comes to a stop when applying the brakes.
5. Noise seems to go away above 15mph or so, squeak occurs at a faster rate when moving faster then disappears
6. Sounds like it's coming more from the drivers side towards the back.

Haven't experienced any other issues with it, I drive it to and from work without issues but I'm really curious what this is and what I can do to fix it. It seemed to happen not long after I gave it a good undercarriage wash, but this just may be coincidence.

SeaDooDave

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I found this video of someone with a u-joint problem on their jeep and the sound seems way different, you can hear serious clicking in his video, could it still be the u-joints if it's just squeaking like that?

I'm not a car expert but I do my own oil changes, spark plugs, and just recently did the rear brakes on my own. How easy is it to replace a u-joint?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I found this video of someone with a u-joint problem on their jeep and the sound seems way different, you can hear serious clicking in his video, could it still be the u-joints if it's just squeaking like that?

I'm not a car expert but I do my own oil changes, spark plugs, and just recently did the rear brakes on my own. How easy is it to replace a u-joint?

U joints are easy with basic hand tools. ThunderbirdJunkie has never needed more than an 8mm socket/or wrench, a couple sockets (just for knocking the caps in/out) and a hammer.

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's mind because the Matrix is real, Neo.

SeaDooDave

Reaction score
Will this be something I should change on a certain mile interval or do these normally not go bad like this? I've owned cars in the past and never had to replace a u joint. Thanks again for the responses. I was actually planning to do a trip about 300 miles but I won't until I replace the u joint.

SeaDooDave

Reaction score
From the reading I've done so far I'm kinda surprised I haven't had any worse issues, sounds like the squeaking may turn into something worse if I don't take care of it asap. I towed my jet ski over 100 miles and have been driving to and from work, it's been like this for about ten days or so.

Is it a possibility it just needs to be lubed/greased up, not a replacement?

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Once you get them out .. they are no longer usable.

Not a difficult job... a good next step after learning to do brakes ... just read read read :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
From the reading I've done so far I'm kinda surprised I haven't had any worse issues, sounds like the squeaking may turn into something worse if I don't take care of it asap. I towed my jet ski over 100 miles and have been driving to and from work, it's been like this for about ten days or so.

Is it a possibility it just needs to be lubed/greased up, not a replacement?

Replace them, can not grease the OEM ones, they are done for
Now some of the aftermarket have grease fittings so yes you can grease them
U-Joints like a lot of other items on a vehicle are normal wear items, they can last from 25,000-150,000 or more just depends. My first ones were done at 55,000 miles the aftermarket ones I installed then have over 130,000 on them, but then I grease them every 3-3500 miles

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar squeak - seems to come from the front though. Could this be the ujoint? and are there any particular manufacturers that are recommended?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will this be something I should change on a certain mile interval or do these normally not go bad like this?

Mileage varries on how long they last / lifted etc. Mine went at 80000 km. They let you know their done by giving you that vibe sound, Mine never clicked or went sloppy.

BTW you can buy ujoints on rock auto for like 10 bucks a piece, not something you reuse. I'm sure napa in the US is competitive.

you can use a hammer / socket but i prefer the ball joint press or a larger vice to press mine out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.