OBD II Code Reader.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting one.........but I don't have a fortune to spend on a professional one.

I want one that works well for occasional non professional use and was wondering if any of you guys on here have one that works ok. I am not sure how much I want to spend yet as it would depend on how good the scanner works. I don't want to buy a junk one.....but kind of a middle of the road one that will work on all OBD II compliant vehicles.

What brand and model do you have and how do you like it.

Dave

PS.....yea, I know I can do the magic key trick with the KJ and get codes.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a cheap one on sale from Autel CAN OBDII scan Tool - GENISCAN GS300. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like it would work. It was $40 CAN.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get a generic code reader tool for fairly cheap. I don't have input on those.

If you have a palm pilot (or are willing to buy one off fleabay), then AutoTap is a great diagnostic tool. I have a GM enhanced version, it'll scan each and every sensor and allow you to log in realtime. It's a great tool if you're a DIY-er and plan on owning the vehicle for a long time.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy one that you will work into over time. Too many times I hear people starting cheap, and then down the road wishing they had one that had more options. Nice options are real time data, making sure it can read and clear, not just read.

innova makes some nice unites, check amazon and other online retailers, they go up for sale

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy one that you will work into over time. Too many times I hear people starting cheap, and then down the road wishing they had one that had more options. Nice options are real time data, making sure it can read and clear, not just read.

innova makes some nice unites, check amazon and other online retailers, they go up for sale

Agreed, which is why I mentioned Autotap. Runs of a palm pilot or laptop and basically does it all! I got mine for $300 about 7 years ago.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I use a scan-gauge II. Thought you had one too Dave?

Yes I do, and I know it will read and clear codes, but I decided it might be good to have a seperate code reader so I don't have to crawl under the dash and un-snake the wire and then reinstall it back in the KJ.

I looked at a bunch but still thinking about it.

Dave

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave,
Shortly after buying our 2006 Liberty I bought an Actron CP9180. I paid $130at Advance Auto.

It's a pretty decent little scanner. It lets you read cods(both pending and active), clear codes and shows live data. Here's a brief list of some of the things you can view:
Engine temp
Engine RPM
Engine load
Outside temp
Intake air temp
Fuel trim
Cat Temps
O2 sensor data
Etc.

The only downside is, it doesn't work with Windows Vista if you want to update the scanner, only Window 98 and XP. Vista has been out long enough that you think they would have updated the software.

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16318

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^Shaffer, yea, I saw that one at Advance at least I think that was the model#/brand. They had several there. I will have to look at that one again next time I go over that way. Around $130 max is the most I want to spend anyway. I havn't checked NAPA yet to see what they have and I kinda know one of the guys there. He helped me out a couple of times with parts.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understand where you coming from. Ive pulled mine out once and it sucked.

You can buy extra cables fairly cheap though. Kinda wish I would have now.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understand where you coming from. Ive pulled mine out once and it sucked.

You can buy extra cables fairly cheap though. Kinda wish I would have now.

Yea I know. They are in Mesa AZ and I could just call their 800# and order one over the phone. Actually, they are very nice and helpfull over the phone. Still leaning toward getting a code reader though. Still thinking about it.

Dave

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a ScanGaugeII as well. Works good in my KJ. In fact, I used it this morning to clear a TPS code that popped up for some reason. All's well now!!:D

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^Shaffer, yea, I saw that one at Advance at least I think that was the model#/brand. They had several there. I will have to look at that one again next time I go over that way. Around $130 max is the most I want to spend anyway. I havn't checked NAPA yet to see what they have and I kinda know one of the guys there. He helped me out a couple of times with parts.

Thanks,
Dave

It was a little more than I had wanted to pay, but at the time I really needed one. It's turned out to be a pretty decent little scanner.

I really wanted one I could use my laptop with. Just because I like 'techy' stuff. :)

No matter which way you go I think you'll be happier if you get an OBDII scanner instead of a OBDII code reader. All a code reader does is pull the code/s and lets you clear them. Where as a scanner lets you view live data. That's much handier when troubleshooting things sometimes.

Latest posts

Members online