Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jj05liberty

Reaction score
Please anyone help,... just purchased my first jeep liberty 2005 v6 3.7 with 181000 miles yesterday. Check engine light on with p0430 code( no performance issues no power loss no symptoms at all) took to exhaust repair shop ran diagnostic computer scan and test, checked for exhaust leaks and informed me my cat on bank 2 was recently replaced.. repair shop said downstream o2 sensor on bank 2 was faulty... so they replaced it.. on the drive home (21 miles) check engine light reappears with new code p2098, now I'm really confused and dont know where to go from here... any suggestions at all would greatly be appreciated...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A P0298 code can be low fuel pressure , failing fuel pump, bad fuel pressure regulator, or clogged injectors.
Is it running rough ?

Jj05liberty

Reaction score
A P0298 code can be low fuel pressure , failing fuel pump, bad fuel pressure regulator, or clogged injectors.
Is it running rough ?
The code actually is 2098, but no it has no performance issues no high idle did a stestiscope check no exhaust leaks,no vacuum leaks, but cats recently replace..smh sont really know where else to turn

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
2 bottles of Techron in a nearly empty gas tank, fuel it up with 87 and see what happens!

Jj05liberty

Reaction score
Thanks kinda hesitant, dontknow if itsthe same or not but.. used seafoam on our last vehicle, messed up whole fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel regulator will never do that again

Jj05liberty

Reaction score
Mechanic keeps saying catalyticconverter, exhaust shop saying no cats and exhaust system are great sont have money ro keep pouring into this but it's our only vehicle so dont know what to do,one code says below threshold other code says too lean... both on bank 2 but like I saisaid replaced downstream o2 maybe upstream o2??? Smh

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Thanks kinda hesitant, dontknow if itsthe same or not but.. used seafoam on our last vehicle, messed up whole fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel regulator will never do that again
Sea foam is just ethanol, methanol and sodium dodecyl sulfate.

Techron is seriously more advanced. Quite a few threads here on its application with Libby’s

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The code actually is 2098, but no it has no performance issues no high idle did a stestiscope check no exhaust leaks,no vacuum leaks, but cats recently replace..smh sont really know where else to turn
whoops, thats what I get for posting half lit LOL

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand O2 sensor did the repair shop put in? You should only be using NTK brand O2s on the Liberty. Others are known to not always work correctly.

You could try swapping bank 1 and 2 downstream O2s with one another and see if the code moves to the other side. Make sure to erase the code(s) 1st before driving.

The bigger question is why the shop replaced the downstream O2 in the first place. Aside from exhaust leaks, most p0430 codes point to a failed converter.

Jj05liberty

Reaction score
What brand O2 sensor did the repair shop put in? You should only be using NTK brand O2s on the Liberty. Others are known to not always work correctly.

You could try swapping bank 1 and 2 downstream O2s with one another and see if the code moves to the other side. Make sure to erase the code(s) 1st before driving.

The bigger question is why the shop replaced the downstream O2 in the first place. Aside from exhaust leaks, most p0430 codes point to a failed converter.
Because they stated that after a diagnostic computer test and a stethoscope test that the cats "were fine"and thier was "no exhaust leaks" smh we also tries techron and cataclean and although it took longer for the light to come back on it still came back on now the only code showing is the p0430. Running out of ideas and inspection ran out today... thanks doe ur help

Jj05liberty

Reaction score
Also trying to get an emissions waiver from my usual repair and inspection shop but he keeps saying not yet, not yet, dontunderstand why I cant just spend the 150 required in pa and get one put on...

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. You can try using an anti-fouler on the bank 2 downstream O2 to get around the code. You might need to buy an angled one, as there isn't enough clearance to use a traditional one- at least on my Lib. If you're handy electrically, you can also use the (good) O2 signal wire from bank 1 downstream O2 and share it with the bank 2 one.

Latest posts

Members online