Noob Questions The Sequel Part 5: I deserve a bit of razzing….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I fully deserve what is coming next…

What the heck should I use to safely secure stuff in a roof cargo basket?

Dear Cthulhu…all this work and I just realized I have never actually used/had/seen in use a basket style roof rack.

so not a KJ question per say…but…gotta ask…the internet has failed me and literally everyone I know with a roof rack has never actually used it to carry stuff on their Mall Rated vehicles.
:p

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Rope. I use 3/8" nylon sheathed rope for tree work and lumber tying down. It's 100' long for running through block&tackle which makes it awkwardly long as a tie-down. It's big enough that knots come undone easily and it packs into a gallon size ziplock bag.

I would worry about ratchet straps bending the roof rack.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Nylon Rope, or ratchet straps, depends on what you are putting in the basket.
Heavy gear & coolers in back, nylon for the tents & chairs etc up top.
You must be registered for see images attach

Lifted I also have a step stool to make it easy to load & unload stuff.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I’m tall enough I can just open a back door and reach.

there’s so many different products online for this purpose I got frustrated.

only things going in the basket are the ARB Skydome, two 20L rotopax style fuel tanks, a pair of traction boards, and the Slumberjack screen tarp.

my gut says “secure for sea” with half and timber hitches and a dual zigzag of 500lb test hybrid rope.

ratchet straps seem overkill but I have seen all these loops and straps and ratchets and nets and such.
The ARB has straps built into the stuff sack, and the fuel and boards are strap friendly, but figured I should ask before stuff starts falling off at speed on I80 somewhere around the **** of the southern plains..

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I’m tall enough I can just open a back door and reach.

there’s so many different products online for this purpose I got frustrated.

only things going in the basket are the ARB Skydome, two 20L rotopax style fuel tanks, a pair of traction boards, and the Slumberjack screen tarp.

my gut says “secure for sea” with half and timber hitches and a dual zigzag of 500lb test hybrid rope.

ratchet straps seem overkill but I have seen all these loops and straps and ratchets and nets and such.
The ARB has straps built into the stuff sack, and the fuel and boards are strap friendly, but figured I should ask before stuff starts falling off at speed on I80 somewhere around the **** of the southern plains..
Also, I’m giggling that the word a.n.u.s. Is censored….erm I mean sphincter…

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ratchet straps is all I have ever used
Never had anything fall of or go flying off
and so something is censored and then you have to spell it out ??????????????????????? Ok

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online