noise under the car when backing up, any idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pdxKJ

Reaction score
In the last few days I have noticed a thumping noise coming from under the car when backinp up from my garage in the morning or later if I haven't use the car earlier. It is not the motor, which I warm uo every time before driving. The noise then seems to go away a few minutes later and does not do it later in the day, any ideas? Has this happen to anyone or it is it normal for the KJ?

pdxKJ

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply, no the noise happens only when moving in reverse and just (or at least only notice it when cold), it is not when selecting a gear (P or R), it does not seem from the transmission but from the drive shaft as if it were loose (but I am not sure)

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driveway is on an incline and when I leave, put it in R, there is a clunk...to get by that I put the ebrake on and that catches it before I put it P...then when I got to leave, no clunk.

pdxKJ

Reaction score
My driveway has a very incline (not a decline), and sort of make sense what you say, I will try with the e-brake. I thought it was funny because later when the metals of the card are warmer, you cannot replicate the sound. It may be nothing, but it is anoying at least. I will keep checking and also this Saturday I am going to the dealer for a LOF and will ask them.

Ol' Fart

Reaction score
pdxKJ...my '05 Limited has been doing this recently since it has gotten colder and damp in the mornings. Mine sounds like someone has put gravel into the differential. I've determined it only makes the noise when applying the brakes slightly so I believe it related to the notorious brake moan issue. I've examined my rear brakes and they appear to be in very good condition (15,000 miles) so I'm not going to worry about it, although I think there is a TSB for the problem, although the fix hasn't been effective for very long.

If you can do it safely, try backing up without touching the brakes and I think you'll find the noise is not there. Good luck.

ACHALAT

Reaction score
pdxKJ said:
In the last few days I have noticed a thumping noise coming from under the car when backinp up from my garage in the morning or later if I haven't use the car earlier. It is not the motor, which I warm uo every time before driving. The noise then seems to go away a few minutes later and does not do it later in the day, any ideas? Has this happen to anyone or it is it normal for the KJ?

Hi from Greece had the same issue and visited dealer they said that this noise was due to debris from the rear brake discs and from a wrong
adjustment in the handbrake since my handbrake was loose and i had it
fixed in the dealer prior having this noise.
Fixed a month ago no problems so far.