No traction control, cruise, and abs light on..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdanger

Reaction score
Came out to my Liberty two days ago after using my auto start like always and get in to find my traction off, abs light on and the esp light on. Also my cruise control will not work either. Any things I can look for before I take it somewhere? Otherwise the thing runs fine. Thanks in advance! -Joe

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
ABS wheel speed sensor. There's one on each wheel and likely... broken. There have also been reports of screwed up harnesses.

jdanger

Reaction score
Where on the wheel does this reside and what would it look like? Sorry, I'm a brakes and oil change kind of guy.

ABS wheel speed sensor. There's one on each wheel and likely... broken. There have also been reports of screwed up harnesses.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Something could've been messing up the sensor, ice or something...

hairylizard

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have had both sensors replaced because the error codes were erratic. I'm told this could be a wire problem as well and they were replaced so now I still have an intermittent problem with the same symptoms. I saw that it could be the diff oil and I'm going to try that tomorrow. Turns out some dealer told the previous owner that they never change the oil in the diff cause it's sealed I'm going to check that out. If there are any other suggestions please post them. I love my Jeep.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have had both sensors replaced because the error codes were erratic. I'm told this could be a wire problem as well and they were replaced so now I still have an intermittent problem with the same symptoms. I saw that it could be the diff oil and I'm going to try that tomorrow. Turns out some dealer told the previous owner that they never change the oil in the diff cause it's sealed I'm going to check that out. If there are any other suggestions please post them. I love my Jeep.

What year is your KJ?

The early KJs use three wheel sensors...two up front and one rear...rear side depending on LHD or RHD. Also uses the sensor on the rear diff for speed and Odometer. These sensors need to be clean and plugged in properly and need to look for chaffed wires near the sensors.

The 2005 KJ if I am not mistaken had a TSB issued that the incorrect rear diff lubricant was used which chewed up the speed sensor. Dealer is supposed to fix this up for free by replacing oil and sensor....I cannot at the moment find the link to this TSB but I am sure it was for the 2005 KJ.:freak3:

And you are supposed to change the oil on the diffs....the rear diff you have to remove the cover and re-seal with a good RTV sealant....addding Mopar friction modifier if you have a LSD Traclock rear diff.

If Jeep wanted to seal off the rear diff on the KJ they would not have supplied the rubber cap to pour the oil in afterwards......the whole procedure is covered in the KJ Service Manual.

Last edited: