No tow hooks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birdsnest

Reaction score
New Liberty owner here: 2007 Liberty 4x4 Auto, towing package...

...hello to all, cool forum.

I figured the tow package would include tow hooks. Oops, that was a mistake. :mad: sad2.gif

Went to load some kayaks on the roof and found I didn't have any obvious attachment points up front for the bow lines. Grrr. I ordered the front tow hooks, but until they arrive... anyone have suggestions on a good place to tether a bow line? Shouldn't have a ton of stress unless there is a rack failure (unlikely), but I don't wanna tie down a 70# kayak to the front grill just in case their were to be a problem. :confused:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to jeepkj!

No, dont tie that to the grill, it will pull it right off.

I recommend putting a towel over the front bumper and hood if you do tie to something on the front of the Jeep(So it doesnt wear the paint off).

Since you dont have tow hooks I take it you dont have skid plates which would also be a good place to tie too. I thought about the sway bar but after looking at some pics I do not believe you can tie to it. Im not sure what would be a good place. :(

Birdsnest

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Looking at the install instruction for the Tow hooks:

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82206124.pdf

(see page 3, step 3)

I figure I can run a nylon webbing loop through the attachment screw holes for the tow hook. Should be sturdy enough for sure. I'll attach my line for the roof cargo to the nylon webbing strap. It should due the trick until the UPS man shows up with my tow hooks next week :cool:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, that would be a good place. The thought crossed my mind but I forgot to type it.

Just be sure you use a big enough rope so that the edge of the holes wouldnt cut the rope. Its only 1/8in steel so its thin.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a pair of real heavy socks and cut the closed end and slide them over the rope where it hits the hood and bumper and it will keep the ropes or straps from marking up the paint.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online