No Running Light Power at 7pin Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been getting the Jeep ready for a cross-country road trip. Running through the checklist, I ended last night on the mounting the wiring harness to the Mopar 7pin connector. After hooking it up, I began testing connections. Left/Right turn, brakes, and positive all worked. However, running lights, and reverse lights did not.

I'm a rookie at wiring, so I don't know where to start looking to figure this out. Depending on what y'all think, I may just take to an RV dealer and have them track it down. At this point, we're on a tight schedule, so this needs to be sorted out quickly. Our departure date is 3/15(Thurs).

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a search on the Internet for the wiring for the 7 pin connector and use a voltmeter to see if you are getting +12 volts out of the connector on the Jeep connector with lights, reverse, brake etc. all operational with reference to the ground coming out of the connector.

Then check that the wiring on your trailer side is correct ie. measure continuity from the 7 pin plug through to the relevant lamps.....including ground.

Is this the Mopar trailer package or some off the shelf setup?

"running lights" probably means the normal rear lights which come on when the Headlights are turned ON....not to be confused with "daylight running lights" as used in Canada I believe.

I recently went through this fault-finding procedure on my Brothers MPV but here in SA we use a 9 pin trailer plug.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a search on the Internet for the wiring for the 7 pin connector and use a voltmeter to see if you are getting +12 volts out of the connector on the Jeep connector with lights, reverse, brake etc. all operational with reference to the ground coming out of the connector.

Then check that the wiring on your trailer side is correct ie. measure continuity from the 7 pin plug through to the relevant lamps.....including ground.

Is this the Mopar trailer package or some off the shelf setup?

"running lights" probably means the normal rear lights which come on when the Headlights are turned ON....not to be confused with "daylight running lights" as used in Canada I believe.

I recently went through this fault-finding procedure on my Brothers MPV but here in SA we use a 9 pin trailer plug.

Thanks for replying Bill. I've tested the 7-pin with a volt meter and it all checks out, sans the running lights. I've checked the fuses, and they are all good. Everything on the trailer has been tested and is functioning normally. Factory tow package.

Just rechecked using ground in 7-pin, nothing still.

We leave tomorrow, so I'm going to make a jumper from the tail light and splice into wiring harness for now.