No power in reverse :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I know that Libertys have that little shudder in reverse, but I've just noticed a new problem. About a week ago I was at someone's house for dinner and parked behind another car on a steep incline. There was plenty of room behind me to turn around so I didn't bother turning around before pulling down the driveway.

When I went to leave it was pouring rain so I put it in 4 part time before I reversed up the hill. Mr. Darcy gave a little hesitation so rather than squealing up the driveway I put him in 4Low and powered right out of there. Fast forward a week to yesterday and I'm at the same house, parked in the same exact spot, only now it's sunny and beautiful and the road is dry, so I just put it in reverse and start gassing. Nothing. It's like the engine is in neutral and I'm just there revving. I put him in 4 high and the same thing happens. This time I was alone so I wasn't as worried about being embarrassed or waking anyone up so I really rev it up and still nothing. The tires aren't even moving. When I gave up and went into 4Low we powered right out, no problem at all.

When I got to the top of the hill I took it out of 4 and played around with my reverse a little and everything was perfectly normal. So, how can it be that I don't have enough power to reverse up a hill?! This seems a little ridiculous to me, should I check the fluids or transmission filter or anything like that? I don't know what any of those do, I just know they exist.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Kj's reverse is not the brightest designed gears on the block.
Reverse = flat surface planning, not uphill.
Park so you are positing downwards if possible or you may have to take a run at it.
Tis the way it is.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, reverse ***** on the Libby. Like Tim said, not the most ingenious transmission design ever...

To answer your question - you should check the transmission fluid level just to make sure that it isn't a simple fix like fluids. And you've mentioned that Mr. Darcy was a fleet vehicle in it's prior life; may want to consider a transmission fluid flush and new filter as preventative medicine. Lots of hills there plus the sand beaches - can put some extra stress on transmissions.

But USVI sure help to reduce MY stress when visiting! :smokin:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine had no issues reversing up my driveway even with the trailer attached, which is the steepest in the neighborhood.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All about gearing
The reverse gear is simply not low enough
This is why it can go up hill in 4lo
The only fix is to regear to 4.10's in the axles

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
4LO + Reverse, you can climb the steepest hill without a hiccup. Mine goes up on sidewalk without me hitting the gas as long as I have good grip.
But on 2x4, you are out of luck.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ's with the 42RLE trans have a weak reverse gear,2.21:1 ratio which *****.They have a TSB to help with the issue(TCM flash) but not sure how well it actually helps.

KJ's with the 45RFE trans have a great reverse gear which is 3:1 :smokin:

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ's with the 42RLE trans have a weak reverse gear,2.21:1 ratio which *****.They have a TSB to help with the issue(TCM flash) but not sure how well it actually helps.

KJ's with the 45RFE trans have a great reverse gear which is 3:1 :smokin:

Amen to that!(45RFE) If I remember correctly first and reverse have the same ratio. Great for backing up trailers, hill or no hill and in 4 high even.
Makes no sense in my old mind to not keep a good thing. Must be an old person thing.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm guessing I have 42RLE? I don't really know what that means but I have a basic understanding of gear ratios. I've reversed up plenty of hills, but this particular driveway is a tricky one because I like to park in the middle of the hill and the car of the guy who lives there parks right at the bottom of the driveway so there is no time on flat ground to get going. But you guys are right about the 4Low. Once I drop that in Mr. Darcy is a beast! I'm not worried about getting stuck anywhere, it just ***** to drop it down just to get out of a driveway. From now on I'll just park somewhere else or reverse in so I can pull out going forward.

So, how hard is it to regear your reverse? I don't see it in my near future as I'm still looking for my control arms and someone told me to replace the tie rod ends (this is relative to another thread, but is making me not have any money).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you have the 42RLE trans,and sorry there is no way to re-gear that trans so your stuck with a crappy reverse gear.You can re-gear the diffs which will help alot,has negitive effects also if your not lifted and running bigger tires.

The trans code breakdown.............

4--# of forward gears
2--torque capicity on a scale of 1-10(1 being lowest)
R--rear wheel drive(or 4wd)
LE--limited electronically controlled