No one here wants to see this..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that was a 2002, wasn't that why Jeep, produced the rest at a lower height for 2002-2007 models

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Don't mind ThunderbirdJunkie, just continuing to drive vehicles that have been rolled in testing by automotive journalists, lifting them, and not caring :)
See: Jeep CJ-5, CJ-7, and Isuzu Trooper

Basically, if you don't drive like an idiot, you won't roll your Jeep over if there are no outside forces acting on you.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was found to be a combination of a horrible track that Chrysler wouldn't even test on, too tight of a slalom to test an SUV on, and driver error. They still lowered the KJ because of it.

The driver also walked away from the crash.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Saying "especially if you are lifted " is BS unless you are an idiot
Mine handles better at 4 inches of lift than it did with 10,000 miles and stock suspension.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing this and reading about it. It was on a track with time trials so they were technically racing a jeep though sharp turns. With a driver error who applied too much brake into the corner cut it and floored it.... What do you expect to happen. Also I think it was a two wheel drive KJ raising the center of gravity in it and that helped a little.

Last edited:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries here, I'll never race my KJ through a stupid slalom. I've seen some pretty off camber stuff but always at a crawl. What the H*** were they thinking was gonna happen when you carve corners in a high C of G 4000+ lb SUV? *********.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned four 4-wheel drive vehicles in my lifetime, every one from my 1985 Toyota pickup to the Liberty Renegade I have now all came with the perquisite warning labels plastered on the sun visor or dash indicating a high center of gravity vehicle has more potential to loose control or roll over if not driven with extra care......(common friggin sense)

The problem with bullsh!t tests like these are, the corporate lawyers get a hold of them and dictate design changes that are not always appealing, intelligent, or necessary......

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you lift...fit wider rims/tires or spacers. Problem solved.

I was thinking about doing that, but for some reason I thought there were concerns about using them. Are there any recommendations for brand/width?

Moab

Reaction score
:D
Saying "especially if you are lifted " is BS unless you are an idiot
Mine handles better at 4 inches of lift than it did with 10,000 miles and stock suspension.

Good for you. I've got over 30 years of 4wd vehicle driving and I have tried to use good sense and have been very lucky with the amount of miles under my belt on and offroad. But this issue is not BS.

Lifted vehicles are more prone to these incidents on the road in trying to avoid an accident (which is sometimes unavoidable) or driving the vehicle like it's a sports car.

I think that this is what many or these tests are focusing on unavoidable quick maneuvers that happen on the road to avoid obstacles like an accident.

Nothing wrong with a little common sense, keep your eyes open around you and on the path, and respect for the vehicle you drive.

Having said that I've lifted every 4WD I've ever owned :D

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Good for you. I've got over 30 years of 4wd vehicle driving and I have tried to use good sense and have been very lucky with the amount of miles under my belt on and offroad. But this issue is not BS.

Lifted vehicles are more prone to these incidents on the road in trying to avoid an accident (which is sometimes unavoidable) or driving the vehicle like it's a sports car.

I think that this is what many or these tests are focusing on unavoidable quick maneuvers that happen on the road to avoid obstacles like an accident.

Nothing wrong with a little common sense and respect for the vehicle you drive.

ThunderbirdJunkie was not going to post again in this thread, BUT...

his 1989 Isuzu Trooper's owners' manual put it best.
"This is an off road vehicle. If you would not take a sports car off road, you should not drive this vehicle like a sports car."

That being said, ThunderbirdJunkie has made many transient maneuvers for the purpose of accident avoidance in the KJ.

ALL of them involved extremely hard cornering, and most of them involved stabbing the gas pedal at more or less the same time.

None of them have resulted in a rollover.

this is lifted, with no rear swaybar, and pretty sure in one of those cases the inside front tire came off the ground like a desert truck.

There is absolutely no reason for this "OH LAWDY THE SKY IS FALLING" rhetoric involving vehicle rollovers. If you don't drive like an idiot, and outside forces (another car, animal, etc) do not make your vehicle roll over, GUESS WHAT!
IT WON'T ROLL OVER!

More Corvettes get rolled every year than all Jeeps combined, ThunderbirdJunkie would bet.

You should call the NHTSA and ask them if that's so.

Moab

Reaction score
Obviously I've hit a sore spot here.
Should have never posted the link.
Just thought I'd link because it involved a Liberty.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with these slalom tests is the trampoline effect.

These are repetitive transient maneuvers. There is practically ZERO chance of this happening in real life.

When you climb on a trampoline, and jump once, you don't jump that high do you?

Second time, you jump higher, because there is more stored energy helping you jump.

You don't jump as high as you possibly can until you've jumped 5 or 6 times.

This is why it rolled over at the END and not at the first cone.

zoomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“On the second-to-last cone, the Liberty lifted its driver-side wheels off the pavement, then settled back down, and Pete made the move for the last cone,” Vaughn reported. The Liberty rolled, driver-side first, the A-pillar and roof first contacting the pavement just past the last cone."

If i'm on dry pavement, at speed, and my wheels are comming off the ground in any vehicle, I don't think I will be "going for the last cone"

Pure Stupidity.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
:D

Nothing wrong with a little common sense, keep your eyes open around you and on the path, and respect for the vehicle you drive.

Having said that I've lifted every 4WD I've ever owned :D

I was commenting on what you stated in the beginning, it is BS, if you are not smart enough to respect a 4 wheel drive vehicle then its BS. I have lifted a few myself over the last 35 years. Well at last count 23 different ones, Including a 77 Dodge D100 Van and a 79 F150 which both ended up on 40s, but they were sit up to handle well even on twisty's as long as you respected them for what they were!