Nitro vs KK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMischief

Reaction score
I enjoy the KK (ok the sky slider has me hooked), however the 4.0 out of the Nitro R/T seems to be a much better motor. I live in Colorado, and used to own a TJ with a mild lift that saw frequent trail use. The Nitro or KK would be my wife's vehicle, but it would see some light trail use as well. My vehicles now are a kawasaki and Dodge Ram 4x4 (20 inch wheels and no skid plates so it stays off any real trails). Why should I choose the KK over the Nitro? I think the answer is going to come down to tires. Can I put some smaller rims and a/t tires on the Nitro R/T and have what amounts to a Liberty with the 4.0L? How about suspension tuning, or the 4wd systems, or traction control systems? Are these all the same between the two?

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They've spec'd out the Nitro to limit its off-road performance. Aside from no 4-LO, also no hill descent control, no skid plates, and probably other bits I'm not aware of. They clearly want off-roaders to buy the Liberty, not the Nitro.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, only the two R/T models have the 4.0 engine, and there are four models above that. This engine was introduced in 2007, replaced the 3.8? The 4.0 is based off the 3.5 liter engine, and I read the 3.8 is based off the 3.3, and we are to keep in mind that all these engines are all in the same basic family.

Also, If the liberty KK version has Skid Plate options, and the Nitro is the same vehicle, could they not be adapted to fit the Nitro? Maybe the mounting holes aren't there on the Nitro, and are with the Liberty... Wonder if anyone can get under and look at both...

The 4.0 is only 260 HP (3.7 = 210). The 4.0 uses a longer stroke for better low rpm torque, quick engine response. This 4.0 can support true duels, with two cats and two mufflers, like on the Pacifica in 2007. Even their 3.5 had 250HP (like the in the intrepid), but the 4.0 has a wider torque curve, which is about 35 lb. ft. more torque throughout the curve.

Oh, wow; the 3.7 is essentially a 4.7 V-8 with two fewer cylinders? It has only two valves per cylinder, yuck, but better for low-end torque, but not as good at higher rpms, as they said the 3.7 will be in relatively heavy vehicles... I am new to this Jeep scene, and are reading a bunch a stuff on AllPar...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Eh... you're right on all counts Powerslave except that the 4.0L didn't at all replace the 3.8L. That's still being produced as well. But it doesn't matter since ALL of those V6s you mentioned are gonna go bye-bye really quickly. :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3.8 is still being made,what you think the JK's get:D,the 3.8 minivan engine.

tjkj......I know everyone wants more hp & torque, but I have some driving time in a JK and they are a nice Jeep.......minivan motor or not.

Dave