NHSTA Investigates Jeep Liberty rear control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is dated 4/25.....today. Hadn't heard of it. I am due for an oil change so I will be underneith the Jeep soon and will check.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So who is going to pay for the possible recall? That Chrysler no longer exists and Fiat is not responisble for the former Chrysler.

Funny thing is that any '02-'05 KJ is getting at the end of the service life for sealed balljoints,it's called normal wear and tear.Yeah maybe if they had a issue back in '05 or '06 but come on it's almost the middle of '11.Just the same crap as Jeep GC's gas tanks exploding in a rear end collision.

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear Lower Control Arm Ball Joints???? What the heck are they talking about???

I didn't think that lower control arms had ball joints. The lower control arms have bushings at each end, don't they?

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So who is going to pay for the possible recall? That Chrysler no longer exists and Fiat is not responisble for the former Chrysler.

Funny thing is that any '02-'05 KJ is getting at the end of the service life for sealed balljoints,it's called normal wear and tear.Yeah maybe if they had a issue back in '05 or '06 but come on it's almost the middle of '11.Just the same crap as Jeep GC's gas tanks exploding in a rear end collision.

I would think that the current Chrysler (read: Fiat) would have to pay for the recall. I know my Daihatsu was recalled last year even though Daihatsu pulled out of the US market in 1992 and was since bought by Toyota.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Good God why are people still spewing that Fiat crap?

Partnership: Chrysler and Fiat
Full Ownership and Control: DaimlerChrysler. (Daimler owned 100% of Chrysler from 1998-2007)

Anywho, this is just an investigation, it likely won't lead to anything. If it does lead to the recall, who is going to pay for it you ask? The answer is simple, CHRYSLER. The BK's only goal was to wipe out debt, not liability. If that was the case, then Chrysler wouldn't have to pay for warranty repairs for any vehicles produced prior to the BK, duh.

People are taking this wayyyyyyyy out of proportion as usual. :rolleyes:

JoBo

Reaction score
What changed for 06?

My 06 CR only has 41k miles and I live in central Ohio. Not a extreme rust belt area. Underneath my KJ there's more rust then would be expected on a garage kept, low mileage jeep.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good God why are people still spewing that Fiat crap?

Partnership: Chrysler and Fiat
Full Ownership and Control: DaimlerChrysler. (Daimler owned 100% of Chrysler from 1998-2007)

Anywho, this is just an investigation, it likely won't lead to anything. If it does lead to the recall, who is going to pay for it you ask? The answer is simple, CHRYSLER. The BK's only goal was to wipe out debt, not liability. If that was the case, then Chrysler wouldn't have to pay for warranty repairs for any vehicles produced prior to the BK, duh.

People are taking this wayyyyyyyy out of proportion as usual. :rolleyes:
Mercedes(Daimler) has nothing to do with Chrysler,Cerbrus owned Chrysler after '07.

GBKJ2003

Reaction score
Mine Sheared off before Christmas(2010) Made a mess of the Handbrake cables and fuel tank and rear axle wiring.All this on a public road. When It was removed it was showing signs of long term corrosion on the broken shaft pieces where the Ball joint is fixed to the axle. Our dealer network has almost disappeared over here took a long time to sort out.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Fact most of our KJ's have already quite a bit of play in the tr-link upper Ball joint.
According to the FSM C-4212F PRESS (special part#) can be used to replace it.
Dont know how hard that is to do, I would get the 2 bushings as well, if this job had to get done and use the factory upper control arm again.
I wonder If Moog makes the ball joint & Spicer?
I know my rear lower control arm bushings were replaced at 32K miles- jeep was a drifting under load!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fact most of our KJ's have already quite a bit of play in the tr-link upper Ball joint.
According to the FSM C-4212F PRESS (special part#) can be used to replace it.
Dont know how hard that is to do, I would get the 2 bushings as well, if this job had to get done and use the factory upper control arm again.
I wonder If Moog makes the ball joint & Spicer?
I know my rear lower control arm bushings were replaced at 32K miles- jeep was a drifting under load!
Mine never had any play and was beat hard for 7 years.Gotta remember that it uses a sealed balljoint which does have a service life of 5-7 years like any sealed part like a tie rod end or balljoint and since the last KJ is almost now 5 years old your going to see alot failing as there at/or beyond there service life.

Look at GM full size pickups and SUV's made from '89-'06 and there known play in the idler arm/pitman arms.Even when greased often most have to replace every 1-2 years due to massive amounts of play.No recall or investigation on those because GM placed such a huge # on the amount of play allowed which should be very little to none on those parts.

randrson

Reaction score
I can see where it can be an issue. the '05 3.7/6spd I bought with 76k on it had a shot upper joint and bushings. I bought a new arm, and the upper ball joint is already thumping like the old one did, and it's only got about 15k on the new part.

I think it's more of a design flaw than anything else. nobody ever considered how poorly it would perform in use, especially with a manual that transmits all of the twisting force of acceleration to a single point

If I had the cash laying about, I'd have bought the JBA upper larm conversion kit by now.