Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texmex

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, just got original owner garage kept 03 KJ Sport, really could use some help as I've been searching a lot through the Forum and tons of info.

- want to install a mild lift (2.5") and see OME is the system, curious as whether it'll affect MPG ? I see some differences as to whether I need to change gear ratio?

_ best wheel size and tire size, looking more for looks as it's my daily driver and on occasion will tow my son's 17ft. center console.

_ i wanted to change out flares and bumpers to painted, i like the look of the Renegade set up, are theses parts compatible ?

thank you in advance for your help, also became a paid member so I don't troll, I see TOMMUDS is a serious knowledgeable member!

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

-A lift will affect MPG a bit due to higher wind resistance,
-gear ratio will be based on tire size, many people get away with 245/75 but higher than that requires gear change especially for wheeling
-for your application I would think 245/70 would be fine, maybe even stock if you plan to tow alot and dont mind the look
-renegade flares can be painted but they're plastic so that you can scrub and scrape them without worry, keep in mind lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, just got original owner garage kept 03 KJ Sport, really could use some help as I've been searching a lot through the Forum and tons of info.

- want to install a mild lift (2.5") and see OME is the system, curious as whether it'll affect MPG ? I see some differences as to whether I need to change gear ratio?

_ best wheel size and tire size, looking more for looks as it's my daily driver and on occasion will tow my son's 17ft. center console.

_ i wanted to change out flares and bumpers to painted, i like the look of the Renegade set up, are theses parts compatible ?

thank you in advance for your help, also became a paid member so I don't troll, I see TOMMUDS is a serious knowledgeable member!

Not really serious LOL
yes on the OME springs/ 927s/948s and either OME or Bilstein shocks with proper bumpstops
I run 4.10s with a 30.6 inch tall tire and its perfect. over 100,000 miles on my other KJ with32s and 4.10s so am very aware how different size tires handle gearing

Texmex

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks so much folks,

I saw a set of jeep wrangler rubicon 17" wheels i liked a lot, will they work on our trucks? also, do i still use the 245/75 tire size?

there's a guy in my town with a Limited KJ with a 4" lift and diesel motor, we talked a little at a gas station, he said I would need to hammer bend the weld in the fender well to fit any larder tire?

I wish there was a company that produced the bumpers you have Tommudds,

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks so much folks,

I saw a set of jeep wrangler rubicon 17" wheels i liked a lot, will they work on our trucks? also, do i still use the 245/75 tire size?

there's a guy in my town with a Limited KJ with a 4" lift and diesel motor, we talked a little at a gas station, he said I would need to hammer bend the weld in the fender well to fit any larder tire?

I wish there was a company that produced the bumpers you have Tommudds,

Not without using spacers, different bolt patterns between the two
Pinch weld is what you bend over, should be pictures on how to do it correctly somewhere or I can email ya some

I keep being asked to build more
But after 4 different places mocked up what they thought I wanted, all junk.
I have a certain way I want them built, now 100 small pieces welded together:Insane:

Texmex

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figures! Thanks so much for the info, I wanna find some wheels but in my searches there isn’t a lot of choices, I’ll search forum for “proper” way to bend, I have a friend whose Poll Barn is a serious shop, he’s a GMC diesel fan, we barder, I detail his vehicles and he does work on my stuff, good deal! See, if lived near you , I could make your rides look new for work on my ride! also. Why does it seem when I see KJ’s the front wheels seem cambered out on bottom?