Newbie question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked a million times, I've looked back thru this thread but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I just bought a 2002 Liberty sport and it going to need new tires before winter. It has stock wheels with 235/70/16 tires on it now, I'd like to go as wide as possible and stay as close to OE diameter as possible without adding a lift. So how wide can I go with a stock wheel and no lift without rubbing. Thanks for any and all help.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to be best off with that width of tire for year round performance... Especially once snow falls, you're better with narrower tires in snow so you 'cut' through instead of 'plow' your way through. Granted everybody will have a different experience, but I'll throw you my two cents anyway. And really, you're likely not to find a wider tire that's the same overall diameter as a 235/70/16. I run 245/75s but I'm lifted.

HOWEVER, you could go with a 255/65/16, but I'd recommend checking fitment first. It's close to the same OD as OE, but being about 3/4" wider is not going to be a whole lot better in snow. Also, the 255/65 is quite an oddball of a tire size, not really a whole lot of them around.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately anything but stock sizes will rub with an old suspension. If you upgrade the suspension we can talk ;)

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ouro and Czar, this ol boy's from Minnesota! He may not know schit about Jeeps, but I bet neither of you can tell him much about theory or practice of driving on snow!:happy175:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ouro and Czar, this ol boy's from Minnesota! He may not know schit about Jeeps, but I bet neither of you can tell him much about theory or practice of driving on snow!:happy175:

Bob

Assuming a lot
I've known folks who have lived in the snow belt their whole lives that still can't drive down a road with more than 1/4 inch on it:happy175::happy175:and not slide off the roadway

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys, and yes I don't know a lot about jeeps but I can tell you already that my 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 will run circles around this toy like Liberty. And YES I can handle driving in the snow just fine!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys, and yes I don't know a lot about jeeps but I can tell you already that my 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 will run circles around this toy like Liberty. And YES I can handle driving in the snow just fine!

Toy like? :icon_lol:
Comparing apples and grapefruit aren't we?
The GM product being the grapefruit in this case

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than a few specific scenarios, that GM truck will outperform, outride, outlast our Jeep toys in any real world service.

Bob

EDIT; and ironically, usually get better gas mileage while doing so.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Other than a few specific scenarios, that GM truck will outperform, outride, outlast our Jeep toys in any real world service.

Bob

EDIT; and ironically, usually get better gas mileage while doing so.

Yeap had some of those GM pick me ups
reason why I don't any longer :icon_lol:
couldn't hold up to my right foot at all

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob

Exactly, I'm a Michigander so.... Jeeps, snow... Kind of a thing around here.:gr_grin:

Latest posts

Members online