newbie needs help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chef0069

Reaction score
Hi, just got an 2007 last week. Drove fine for 4 days. It has 35,000 on it. Today, it started to huck and buck when accelerating, check engine light started flashing, then would even out after I hit sixty. It would go 0-to 40 fine, then huck and buck from 40 to 60. My dreams are shattered. I was loving this awesome 4x4. Always wanted one, even though I've read bad things about them. Any advice? No real warranty to speak of, only the NYS 60 day law. Thanks.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you pulled the codes yet to see what they say? If not do that and see whats troubling the poor girl

chef0069

Reaction score
Sorry, just downloaded a manual, it was the malfunction indicator light that flashed, then it went away, but it was still hucking.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase fear not it is probably something simple. The MIL is the same as Check engine light and the codes are stored. Even though it only has 35k miles, a tune up would be in order if no known service records are available. Stuff like load testing the battery first and then spark plugs and air-filter & throttle body cleaning and changing all of the lube and oils is what most get done or do themselves to return Jeep to a fresh as new again. I normally do the spark plugs every 30k miles or less.
Regarding the codes you can purchase some pretty in-expensive code readers and I would say it is a good investment to own one. Otherwise you got to go to your local shop to have the code read for minimal charges,some may do it for free.

chef0069

Reaction score
I also have been putting in 93 octane gas, thought I was doing good. Now I read that it only needs 87. Could that be the problem? I know nothing about cars. (Could you tell?)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Awwww shit didn't notice that.

This is further proof that the only people that have problems out of their Jeeps are the ones that call them CARS.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
When a coil was on it's way on mine the light would flash,then go out,engine would seem fine till it acted up again. As Mudd says pull the codes.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Chef -Do a few tests and you will know where the KJ stands.
Battery: electronics can act stupid when battery is not strong or low on voltage. Get the battery load tested & GET YOUR CODES READ! for starters!
If the Kj sat for a while on the lot with gas a few + months old, it can sour.
A bottle of fuel (ethanol staybilizer) is used to extend fuel life to make fuel good for up to 12 months and may help if things are a bit sour.
I run midgrade fuel in my KJ and high octane when pulling.
I also for highway runs put in a bottle of fuel system cleaner -Chevron Techron (techroline) to keep the injectors and motor real clean.
I also like the security of a Chrysler locking gas cap. :)

subflea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always wanted one, even though I've read bad things about them.

What bad things did you read? When my wife was looking for a new vehicle, this was at the top of our list because of the relatively few problems that KJs have. Outside of the window regulators, there are few common problems.

chef0069

Reaction score
You are correct, it was mostly the window problems, also low gas mileage. Today, i am just feeling down, I got rid of a Volvo that always was in the shop, and four days into my new jeep, tomorrow it's back to the shop. I feel cursed. I really cannot afford another 1000 dollar car repair bill.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You won't have a CAR repair bill.

Your Jeep is telling you it demands respect. It is not a car.

It is a high performance machine, like a Ferrari or Lamborghini. The only difference is the pricetag and the type of performance.

chef0069

Reaction score
Believe me, this morning, i felt great about my "performance machine", now I'm just feeling down. I'm at the mercy of repair shops.

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe me, this morning, i felt great about my "performance machine", now I'm just feeling down. I'm at the mercy of repair shops.

Go to autozone or advanced .. They will do a free diagnostic check and plus check the battery and make sure you get the code`s to post !! This forum and these guy`s are very helpful and will help as best as they can !

chef0069

Reaction score
Thanks, for all the advice. I'm gonna take it to the local shop tomorrow, let him check it out. Might as well find out if anything else is lurking. No more whining, just gonna get it done. I'll keep you all informed. and I'll def have more questions for ya!!!

Latest posts

Members online