Newb - Liberty Shopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mgm1979

Reaction score
Shopping around, really like the Liberty Renegade...but I have to remember this will primarily be my fiance's vehicle (I run around in a modded 04 Saturn Ion Red Line)...

So, I'm wondering - what are some of the key points I should know when looking around for one? What are the major differences between trims (Sport, Renegade, Limited, Columbia, Rocky Mtn, etc)?

Whichever we end up with, it HAS to have 4WD (she's never driven in snow before, and Denver tends to get enough of it).

Thanks in advance - lookin' forward to learning a lot!

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can remember the Sport has the least standard features. The Renegade is more geared to trail from the factory, commonly comes with enhanced underbody protection, the Limited has more creature comforts standard such as leather seating, etc. These what comes with these trims vary from year to year. I don't know much about the other trims as they mostly have minor differences such as different seats.

mgm1979

Reaction score
Thanks - that helps...I'm not sure if we'll take it offroad, but it sure would be nice to have the option ;) - Am I better off shopping around for a Renegade, or should I pick up a cheaper sport and piece the thing into offroad shape via the aftermarket...?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decide what you want or need. Tow package, skids, lifted, rims, etc. Try to find one with as much of that stuff as possible within your budget, and slowly add the stuff you need and or want.

mgm1979

Reaction score
are there certain model years I should pay attention to, or stay away from?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend Selec-Trac. It has the Full Time system that can be engaged on pavement which is awesome in inclement weather.

mgm1979

Reaction score
I highly recommend Selec-Trac. It has the Full Time system that can be engaged on pavement which is awesome in inclement weather.

Forgive me - is that standard on Renegades, or do I need to pay attention to that tidbit when/if looking at other trims?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive me - is that standard on Renegades, or do I need to pay attention to that tidbit when/if looking at other trims?
It was a option for all trim levels(no manual ****** though with the select trac).To tell the difference between the select-trac and command trac is look at the t-case shifter-----2wd,4hi,N,and 4lo=command trac,2wd,4part-time,4 full-time,N,and 4lo=select trac.The command trac is about 20%-25% stronger the the select trac.

You can get almost any creature comforts in about any trim level also.I have a limited that has less stuff in it then most sports do(when my was stock).

All of the '02 Kj's with the auto ****** came with the 45RFE ******,much stronger then the 42RLE they started putting in the KJ in '03.Any KJ built before April 12th 2002 is 3/4" higher then all the one's built after the 12th.Stay away from any KJ with the D35 rear end,most(about 98%) have the 8.25 rear end.Trac-loc(LSD) was also a option on all KJ's,indicated on a green tag on the rear axle tube,if equipted you need friction modifier at gear oil changes.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the '02 Kj's with the auto ****** came with the 45RFE ******,much stronger then the 42RLE they started putting in the KJ in '03......

Stay away from any KJ with the D35 rear end,most(about 98%) have the 8.25 rear end............

I have the 45RFE ****** but are you saying the 8.25 rear end is good or bad?

And what is the Lock-up Torque converter and is it good or bad?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Dana 35 (D35) is a lot weaker than the Chrysler 8.25 Rear Diff. If by lock up torque converter you meant Trac-Loc then it depends on preference. It is simply a Limited Slip Differential. Somewhat better than a open diff, not as good as a locker. If you actually meant a lock up torque converter than as far as i know all torque converter will lock.

mgm1979

Reaction score
thanks for the info, TJ - if I understand everything right, sounds like I should look for an early '02 model...possibly a Renegade, if I can find one? If command-trac is stronger, wouldn't I want that over the selec trac?

Re: mileage...I'm guessing the concerns aren't quite the same as with a commuter car, since these are built a bit stronger...so, at what mileage SHOULD I start being concerned?

mgm1979

Reaction score
So, the '03 we looked at...56k miles - needs tires, possibly pads (rotors were recently turned, I think), minor dent/paint on front bumper and scratch on driver's rear panel, and passenger rear fender flare. Original battery, so I'm guessing that's going to need to be replaced as well.

Engine compartment was dirty, but nothing looked "out of place" or abnormally worn. All skid plates present/secure. No visible damage/rusting on under-carriage...

Guy's asking $12,500...KBB puts it at $11,700 (assuming I picked ALL of the extras correctly - in "good" condition) and Nada has it at $11,750 "clean trade-in".

I'm double-checking everything with insurance tomorrow, but I know either way I can't give him the $12,5 he's asking. Tires alone will be $400, easy.

I'm thinking closer to $11,5 - maybe $11,250 - fair?

mgm1979

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm doing some thinking...which isn't usually a good thing, but whatever...

If I were to pick up a higher mileage '02-03 Liberty Sport/Limited for under $10k, how much would I put into it to bring it up to Renegade status?

I'm running numbers, and not sure I like my car payments above $200/mo for a vehicle that will be primarily weekend/play/spare/bad weather only. I've shopped around a little, but it looks like $1k plus to get tow pkg, light bar, skid plates, etc...

I guess I'm going back to Midnight's original recommendation - and also wrestling with the fact that my Red Line is already a toy, in some respects, and I know I'm going to get sucked into modding this Jeep too...

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm doing some thinking...which isn't usually a good thing, but whatever...

If I were to pick up a higher mileage '02-03 Liberty Sport/Limited for under $10k, how much would I put into it to bring it up to Renegade status?

I'm running numbers, and not sure I like my car payments above $200/mo for a vehicle that will be primarily weekend/play/spare/bad weather only. I've shopped around a little, but it looks like $1k plus to get tow pkg, light bar, skid plates, etc...

I guess I'm going back to Midnight's original recommendation - and also wrestling with the fact that my Red Line is already a toy, in some respects, and I know I'm going to get sucked into modding this Jeep too...

The Renegade package was not that much different in 2002 and 2003. It was only really different fender flares and a light bar. It was not until the 06ish styling that there was a noticeable difference in appearance. If you can get a good deal on a Sport or Limited, go for it, it's not too much of a tradeoff. As far as Selec-Trac vs Command-Trac, it all depends on what you are hoping to accomplish. I've never heard complaints of the transfer case being the weak point on the KJ. Most times, if something is going to fail, it seems to be a front differential. That's just from my own experiences though.

mgm1979

Reaction score
The renegade's interior is also different then the Sport. If I was you I'd shop around for a while longer, getting all the parts to make a Sport a Renegade...light bar alone is $400. Then skids, fender flares, ofroad package, roofbasket etc..I don't think $1K will get you there.

What IS the offroad package, really? I've yet to see any specifics, it's always just mentioned as the "package".

We probably will end up shopping some more - since we're not desperate for a 2nd vehicle, we have that luxury...unless this guy wants to drop the price about $1500 (I don't see that happening), we'd rather have a payment below $200/month for a vehicle that will do a lot more sitting than driving during the week.

I just know I'm going to get sucked into this "wheelin" though...