New whels and tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

overdalimit

Reaction score
Just installed new 235 70 16 goodyear wrangler silent armor on new Craiger 16x8's made the wheelbase about 4 inches wider. Wow what a difference in the way she rides and handles!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
235-70 on an 8 inch wheel :icon_frown::hmm:
wow would of hated to try and install those
way too wide of a wheel for that size tire

karljp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll surely like those tires. I had them before and had no problems. They are quite, ride is smooth and no balance issues.

overdalimit

Reaction score
Don't think tommudd likes me...and no it was not a problem installing the tires.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I like everyone, or most everyone !
But installing tires meant for a 7 inch wide wheel on an 8 inch doesn't make sense to me.
Was in the tire business back in the early 70s up through early 80s have some experience in trying to mount tires on wheels that shouldn't be done
thats all
I'm running 265-75s and 8 inch wheel is even too wide for them, which MOABs were only 7 inches wide

Last edited:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like everyone, or most everyone !
But installing tires meant for a 7 inch wide wheel on an 8 inch doesn't make sense to me.
Was in the tire business back in the early 70s up through early 80s have some experience in trying to mount tires on wheels that shouldn't be done
thats all

Yea me too. S10 hss these factory mag rims that required wider tires....well everyone wanted the cheaper tires which were about 3 inches too skinny. That combo looked crazy. It took a cheetea to seat the beads.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
235-70 on an 8 inch wheel :icon_frown::hmm:
wow would of hated to try and install those
way too wide of a wheel for that size tire

So then why does it say 235/70 R16 on the door jamb sticker :shrug:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So then why does it say 235/70 R16 on the door jamb sticker :shrug:
You installed wider wheels than stock, 235-70 was an optional size tire.
Nothing too complicated
Install the same size tire on a 7 inch wheel , then on an 8 inch,
may not seem like much until you see them side by side looking at the sidewalls etc

overdalimit

Reaction score
If you want to play bigshot know it all, fine. I bow down to you mr moderator...BUT they went on easy as pie and that aint no lie!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to play bigshot know it all, fine. I bow down to you mr moderator...BUT they went on easy as pie and that aint no lie!
Attitude
oh well no bigshot just stating facts is all
some tire shops will mount anything for a buck
reputable ones will tell you that that is too wide for the size tires

But carry on and see how they wear

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not arguing with you tommudd - you know more about this than I do. I'm really asking though, if it's such a bad idea, why does the factory recommend a 235/70 on a 16x7 rim?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not arguing with you tommudd - you know more about this than I do. I'm really asking though, if it's such a bad idea, why does the factory recommend a 235/70 on a 16x7 rim?

Factory recommends a 7 inch wide wheel that is correct,
not an 8 inch wide wheel
you stated you mounted them on a 8 inch wide wheel

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shit, just realized the OP was using an 8 incher. no wonder i was confused.

move along, nothing more to see here

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't worry about Tom. He knows A LOT, but for some reason he and everyone else thinks that his word is bible. Such as the 235 on 8" wide tire. CLEARLY it's been done, but for some reason, he thinks it can't be done. Like, jesus-- the trend in honda and vw's these day (i hate it) is stretching the shit out of tires on 8" + wide wheels.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry about Tom. He knows A LOT, but for some reason he and everyone else thinks that his word is bible. Such as the 235 on 8" wide tire. CLEARLY it's been done, but for some reason, he thinks it can't be done. Like, jesus-- the trend in honda and vw's these day (i hate it) is stretching the shit out of tires on 8" + wide wheels.

:005::005::005::005::gay::icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

and just because its done doesn't mean its safe or long lasting
I mean jump off of bridges almost everyday, does that mean you will as well ?

What many don't think about is if turning sharply you can roll the tire off the wheel when you mount a tire such as we are discussing on a wider wheel. With a heavier vehicle such as the KJ could happen even easier that on a lightweight honda or vw or any of those across the pond crap boxes

Last edited:

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why everyone is hating on Tom. He didn't say it HAD to be his way. He just stated a fact. Stop trying to play tough guy behind your keyboard.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What many don't think about is if turning sharply you can roll the tire off the wheel when you mount a tire such as we are discussing on a wider wheel. With a heavier vehicle such as the KJ could happen even easier that on a lightweight honda or vw or any of those across the pond crap boxes

...I'm just gonna say that this has happened to my Libby with a 235/70/16...

Stupid damn Wrangler SRAs...cost me a rim.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd be beating the customer with those 8" rims if they tried to get me to install 235/70's on a 8" rim.

About 2 months ago some idiot dropped off some tires and rims to be mounted.A set of 265/75R16 Trxus MT's,which state right on the sidewall to mount only on a 7" wide rim,he wanted them mounted on a 10" rim.Wouldn't do it and wouldn't let anyone else do it either,rolled them back out of the shop.To say they least he was pissed but when the tire manufacturer states 7" rim only and puts it on the tire you only mount on a 7" wide rim.

Latest posts

Members online