New TPMS sensors won't relearn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acenturi

Reaction score
New Sensors not Displayed on EVIC - 2004 Liberty Limited

I just had 4 tires replaced and the seller (Discount Tire) installed 4 new Schrader 33500 Tire Pressure Sensors. Although the EVIC doesn't indicate the sensors are missing, it does not display the actual tire pressures for any of the 4 - the display is just blank (where the pressure numbers usually are shown). All other aspects of the Evic display are working. Also, Training (with the Magnet) does not work (the horn doesn't beep when the magnet is placed over the Front Left valve stem and the process is Aborted on the Evic Display). Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong before I go back to the installer and complain - again. I'm really frustrated with this and about to go :Insane::Insane:

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like either Discount didn't program them, or they're just the wrong sensor. I personally wouldn't touch one of those universal types. If I have to have sensors, (and I'd rather not...I really don't like that system) it'll be Schrader OE for me every time. No programming required.

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bring the jeep back to the tire place and tell them run the jeeps relearn procedure and at the same time instead of you using the magnet to trigger the sensor have the tire place just trigger the sensor with the TPMS scan tool. For Example: If the jeep states right front have the tire place trigger the right tire with the tpms scan tool.

Gopher

Reaction score
TPMs Relearn Problem

In case this helps others, I had all 5 TPMS replace on my 04 Jeep liberty with Dill 7004 433 mhz Redi-learn sensors at Discount Tire. Could not get them to retrain with the magnet and evic instructions, the electronic scan tool or by following discount tire's recommendation of driving it for 15 minutes at highways speed. Nothing worked and it kept displaying dash lines at each wheel on the evic instead of the air pressure reading per tire.

Working with the manager and discount tire and the technical support at Dill, we found a solution for this particular problem. We had to put the evic in to retrain mode and instead of the magnet we had to use the scan tool to read each wheel. Each wheel chirped just as if we were using the magnet. The problem was that it would abort before we could get a reading on the spare. It seems that the scan tool doesn't account for the spare. We had to read each wheel just as before with evic in retrain mode and then when the evic called for reading the spare, we had to arrow back to another tire on the scan tool and read the spare at that time. It all has to be done within the 30 second allowed time. The horn chirped even though it didn't read the pressure on the tire. After the horn beep at the spare, the evic read that the training was complete and exited the program. The dash light went out and after a brief drive all four tire were giving the correct pressure readings.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, necrophilia here, resurrecting an old thread.

Finally Gopher solved his issue by getting Discount tire to do what he paid them to do and what they are supposed to know how to do.

If you see my other thread, I am having this issue but want to find the solution before I buy the wrong sensors or the wrong tools, etc.

Let me describe the process on my motorcycle, which I had all in mind before I began. Fist my sensors were working, but being 2008 and this in 2020 I thought they might soon fail. And I had new tires for the motorcycle so I decided it was time. After shopping around I decided on the oem dealer sensors which were $250 each, but then this is a motorcycle so there are only 2 of them.

Second, I knew that they had to be "woken up" or taken out of dormant state, but that could be done with a General Motors type wake up tool available, (made in China) for $10. I then took off the tires, and the old sensors and put the new ones on, then the new tires. I then put the tires on the bike and passed the wake up tool near each one and pushed the wake up button. I then hooked up a special (to my bike) connector to a computer program made for my bike and accessed the program to allow the bike to use two new sensors. All that worked. And then the sensors worked on the bike all last year, and will probably work for more years.

Now, on my 2008 Jeep Liberty Limited, I get a reading from the right rear tire of 21 lbs, even tho' it's at 30 pounds. This has been a continuing problem. I dropped the spare, it doesn't seem to have registered on the tpms at all. But it holds no air, so I need a new spare. It looks like it was whacked hard and thus needs replacing.

Once I settle that I can get back to the right rear issue.

In my research on the motorcycle, there were those who said inflate the tires over and then drop the pressure, that will set the new sensors. But none of them ever said they did that.

And I have yet to find anyone who did that and had it work.

I can only imagine that the GM sensors are different. So Jeep may well be very different. Who knows.

It doesn't seem that anyone here in this thread knows.

Any ideas?

Thanks
dc