New to the Liberty and the forum. A few Questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to recently pick up a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport with only 11,000 miles on it. According to CarFax the vehicle was only driven approximately 700 miles per year. I have since replaced all the rear brake lines, intermediary line, wheel cylinders, calipers, exhaust(y-pipe back) and installed new tires, refurbished steel rims and a new double DIN Kenwood Android Auto stereo. Just had the undercarriage oil coated as well.

Here's what's next and my question:

1) I'd like to do a 1.5" lift. Thinking about going with a Rocky Road strut cap spacer for the front and some OME medium springs for the rear. Now my question. Will I need to replace the rear shock with a 1.5" lift? Just put brand new Gabriel Ultra's on the rear and I'm pretty happy with the ride. I appreciate your assistance. I'll probably replace the front shocks with Ultra's as well when doing the lift. If I have to go with new rear shocks I'll try to find the appropriate +1-2" Ultra's for the rear as well.

Also planning to add cruise control, rear audio buttons and an Homelink overhead console. Been reading prior posts on these upgrades and found all the parts I need right down the road for the cruise, so hopefully I'll be good to go on those projects. If not, I'll be reaching out again for your advice and suggestions.

Just looking to increase the height a little. I did a lot of serious 4wheeling in my younger days, but not so much now. I do drive some pretty rough roads here in NH and do some moderate 4wheeling at the rifle range and a few other places.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to recently pick up a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport with only 11,000 miles on it. According to CarFax the vehicle was only driven approximately 700 miles per year. I have since replaced all the rear brake lines, intermediary line, wheel cylinders, calipers, exhaust(y-pipe back) and installed new tires, refurbished steel rims and a new double DIN Kenwood Android Auto stereo. Just had the undercarriage oil coated as well.

Here's what's next and my question:

1) I'd like to do a 1.5" lift. Thinking about going with a Rocky Road strut cap spacer for the front and some OME medium springs for the rear. Now my question. Will I need to replace the rear shock with a 1.5" lift? Just put brand new Gabriel Ultra's on the rear and I'm pretty happy with the ride. I appreciate your assistance. I'll probably replace the front shocks with Ultra's as well when doing the lift. If I have to go with new rear shocks I'll try to find the appropriate +1-2" Ultra's for the rear as well.

Also planning to add cruise control, rear audio buttons and an Homelink overhead console. Been reading prior posts on these upgrades and found all the parts I need right down the road for the cruise, so hopefully I'll be good to go on those projects. If not, I'll be reaching out again for your advice and suggestions.

Just looking to increase the height a little. I did a lot of serious 4wheeling in my younger days, but not so much now. I do drive some pretty rough roads here in NH and do some moderate 4wheeling at the rifle range and a few other places.

First thing WELCOME TO JEEPKJ, this site and LOSTJEEPs are the two best sites out there for the KJ owner .
Now on to your questions.
RRO , just a huge NO!! That is one of the very worst ways to lift a KJ . I'm sure you plan on keeping it for a while so do it right the first time and you won't be doing it all over again later next spring.
IF you only want a small lift I would suggest going with the full OME lift, either 925 or 926 front springs and 947 rears . These are a higher spring rate than the stock 310 lb, ride WAY WAY better than brand new stock and give you some lift. Check out JeepinByAl for the full OME lift.
Most everyone on the main Liberty sites uses JBA since their customer service is top notch and much better to deal with than RRO.
Ask most anyone on here and you'll hear the same. many of us have been on the forums for 8-10-12 years so have some experience in this
Seems like you have found the rest of the info you need.
Great find, I'm sure you'll find some other items that will need replaced as well like vacuum lines etc that have dried out

OH and why not any serious 4 wheeling now? I'm 62 and still enjoy it LOL

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I go med/med on the springs? No plans for a heavy front bumper or winch. I just tow a light 14' fishing boat now and then. I'd like to retain the slight rear high stance.

Thanks again for the assistance/guidance.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the med spring for the rear is actually the HD spring. so the matching spring rates are

front med rear standard or you can go
front HD and rear med.

the first option gives you a 1.5" lift and the second option gives you a 2.5" lift

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend going with the HD springs to get 2.5" of lift
I obviously had sagged suspension and upgraded to OME but still feel like it sits low and I added extra stuff to get up to 3 1/4" lift
I couldn't imagine spending that hefty amount and only get 1.5" lift it wouldn't even feel lifted after a while.. I know mine doesn't
***** it costs so much to get these to sit tall
If I could do a couple inch body lift, the 3 1/4" lift I have now, some 4:10s and big ol' tires I'd be a happy camper but I'll just wait until my KJ blows and I get my new truck :waytogo:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I did med/heavy on the rear for awhile rode nice, then got the winch and did heavy front and rear. I think you'll be happy with either choice.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend going with the HD springs to get 2.5" of lift
I obviously had sagged suspension and upgraded to OME but still feel like it sits low and I added extra stuff to get up to 3 1/4" lift
I couldn't imagine spending that hefty amount and only get 1.5" lift it wouldn't even feel lifted after a while.. I know mine doesn't
***** it costs so much to get these to sit tall
If I could do a couple inch body lift, the 3 1/4" lift I have now, some 4:10s and big ol' tires I'd be a happy camper but I'll just wait until my KJ blows and I get my new truck
:waytogo:

07-16 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 inch OME lift $877.80
07-16 OME 4 inch lift $1446.85

Yes its a real shame it costs so much to lift a KJ

02-07 Jeep Liberty 2.5 inch OME Lift $835.70
02-07 Jeep Liberty 3.5-3.75 inch lift ( which includes JBA UCAs) $1466.61

HUGE price differences isn't there

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Should I go med/med on the springs? No plans for a heavy front bumper or winch. I just tow a light 14' fishing boat now and then. I'd like to retain the slight rear high stance.

Thanks again for the assistance/guidance.

Having lifted a few of these
for you since you don't want much lift
may I suggest the 926 front and if you want a slight rake and will be towing the boat some 948 rear springs
Good combo for you I think
Most all well all we install here is the 927 / 948 combo but there are times when I'll suggest other springs for someone like you

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07-16 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 inch OME lift $877.80
07-16 OME 4 inch lift $1446.85

Yes its a real shame it costs so much to lift a KJ

02-07 Jeep Liberty 2.5 inch OME Lift $835.70
02-07 Jeep Liberty 3.5-3.75 inch lift ( which includes JBA UCAs) $1466.61

HUGE price differences isn't there

If you read what I said, I would do a small suspension AND body lift
I could get a 2.5" OME lift and 4" body lift- be at 6.5" of lift and barely be over $1k :happy175:
So yes it is a big difference.. try doing a 6.5" lift on a KJ for $1k I'd love to see
Oh wait it costs $1.5k to get 3.5"

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you read what I said, I would do a small suspension AND body lift
I could get a 2.5" OME lift and 4" body lift- be at 6.5" of lift and barely be over $1k :happy175:
So yes it is a big difference.. try doing a 6.5" lift on a KJ for $1k I'd love to see
Oh wait it costs $1.5k to get 3.5"

ANY vehicle now days takes money to lift properly, with all of the electronic crap, IFS, etc can't do cheap lifts like you used to do. Well to do them right and last anyways . Body lift or no body lift.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the 927 / 948 combo is the way to go along with the 90009 / 60069.

I don't want to get into dropping the transfer case, extended brake lines, JBA upper control arm or custom cut front CV's. If that's going to be the case I'd rather stick with the 926 / 947 and the 1.5" lift. Sounds like the 926 / 947 have a slightly heavier spring rate then OEM.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times over and I appreciate your patience with a newbie.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the 927 / 948 combo is the way to go along with the 90009 / 60069.

I don't want to get into dropping the transfer case, extended brake lines, JBA upper control arm or custom cut front CV's. If that's going to be the case I'd rather stick with the 926 / 947 and the 1.5" lift. Sounds like the 926 / 947 have a slightly heavier spring rate then OEM.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times over and I appreciate your patience with a newbie.

We are not a SFA so don't have to get into dropping transfer cases and things like that.
No extended brake lines either, I ran 4.5 inches of lift on the 04 with stock lines, stock CVs .
Up to 3-3.25 inches of lift you can run stock UCA's although a nice upgrade not needed until over that height.
927/948 combo does great its about all we install here , BUT go with the Bilstein rear shocks for a lifted KJ. The rear OME extended are no longer available and bilsteins do great.
Since we are talking different OME springs here is a handy little chart I came up with years ago to show folks . These are the spring rates for various companies and stock
OEM are 310
925s are 350
926s are 375
927s are 400
790s are 500
OEM-CRD are 410
Rustys are 310
Skyjacker are 310
BDS are 435

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found 2 132L's on Ebay for $90 per, so I ordered them. Whether or not I do the lift or what springs I go with won't hurt to have them on hand. Now I'll try to find a deal on the 927, 948 and the 90009.

Thanks again for all your help!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Found 2 132L's on Ebay for $90 per, so I ordered them. Whether or not I do the lift or what springs I go with won't hurt to have them on hand. Now I'll try to find a deal on the 927, 948 and the 90009.

Thanks again for all your help!

ARB / OME pretty much set the prices for their product so everywhere you look will be pretty close in price to others.