new to the forums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cj3waker

Reaction score
Hey guys Ive lurked here a bit, but just registered as I want to do some work to my jeep this summer. Im a total jeep and car noob and would love some advice from the pros.

'06 jeep liberty sport 4wd 3/7l totally stock

It is my daily driver, Im not interested in rock crawling or anything crazy but would like to beef my 4wd abilities a bit. I also live in truckee, ca which has an incredible amount of snowfall, I sometimes find myself snowplowing a bit and would love a bit more clearance.

So Im aiming to add a bit of performance/ fuel efficiency while beefing it up a bit. I was planning on the following mods and would love any input or recommendations. And Im definitely budget oriented

1/5-2/5" lift, preferably with stock suspension
wider/bigger tires, pref on stock wheels
cold air intake
new exhaust
new muffler
throttle body spacer
reprogramming the chip for mileage

I bought it in cash back in '07 and plan on driving it into the ground. I plan on swapping the auto for a 6-speed when it goes

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys Ive lurked here a bit, but just registered as I want to do some work to my jeep this summer. Im a total jeep and car noob and would love some advice from the pros.

'06 jeep liberty sport 4wd 3/7l totally stock

It is my daily driver, Im not interested in rock crawling or anything crazy but would like to beef my 4wd abilities a bit. I also live in truckee, ca which has an incredible amount of snowfall, I sometimes find myself snowplowing a bit and would love a bit more clearance.

So Im aiming to add a bit of performance/ fuel efficiency while beefing it up a bit. I was planning on the following mods and would love any input or recommendations. And Im definitely budget oriented

1/5-2/5" lift, preferably with stock suspension, won't happen
wider/bigger tires, pref on stock wheels won't happen stock height
cold air intake huge waste of money
new exhaust
new muffler
throttle body spacer again not that much if anything
reprogramming the chip for mileage ah oh heck to really get anything at all you'll need to send the computer reflashed

I bought it in cash back in '07 and plan on driving it into the ground. My long term plans include replacing the auto ****** and 3.7l with a 6 speed and 2.4l instead of rebuilding each respective part

6 speed and 2.4 ?????????????
can you share some of your stash ??
Why would you want to do that
Oh and sorry for the short answers but just the way I am :happy175:

stock suspension is already sagged I would say 3/4 of an inch at least , seen them the same year as yours sagged over an inch
so replacing springs / shocks are in order

Last edited:

cj3waker

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

For lift/suspension stuff, first read thru this. Tom doesn't like ansering the same questions over and over:smokin:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/lift-faq-read-before-asking-questions-47137/

Come on in, put your feet up and grab a drink. We like it when new folks stop by.:party52:

thanks, I read through the FAQ and looked at the recommended spacer lift by daystar. $150 for a drop in 2.5" lift seems very reasonable, would I need bumpstops for a spacer lift?

6 speed and 2.4 ?????????????
can you share some of your stash ??
Why would you want to do that
Oh and sorry for the short answers but just the way I am :happy175:

stock suspension is already sagged I would say 3/4 of an inch at least , seen them the same year as yours sagged over an inch
so replacing springs / shocks are in order

as for the 6 speed, I would prefer a manual to automatic ******, and from what Ive read the ****** is the first thing to go in these vehicles, so instead of replacing/rebuilding the automatic, I would rather replace with a manual

about the suspension sagging, if I buy a 2.5" lift and it only comes to 1.75" im okay with that, Im trying not to make the car a complete money pit. Wouldnt a spacer lift relieve the suspension sag though?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your never going to get better mpg's with the 2.4 if you lift and add wider tires.You'd have to regear to 4.10's just to get any decent mpg's on the highway/city with the 2.4,that's with a bone stock 4wd also.

Anyways the cost to that swap would far exceed the cost of a brand new WKII.You would need a complete donor vehicle(4 ****** KJ) since you will need the cradle,electronics,and complete wiring harness.

cj3waker

Reaction score
alrighty, it seems as though the 2.4 was an uninformed pipedream. Lets forget about that one. Ive also browsed a few more of the lift stickies and nobody seems very keen on any spacer lift, including the daystar

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive also browsed a few more of the lift stickies and nobody seems very keen on any spacer lift, including the daystar
Because they are junk.Any KJ is now at least 5+ years old and the coils are sagging and spacer lifts just accelerate that sagging.Why spend the $$$ twice and do the work twice? Just get a full coil lift like OME and be done with it.

cj3waker

Reaction score
quickly making progress.
scratch the 4cyl and spacer lift

OME seems to be the way to go, but it only provides a 1.75" lift. Id like to put on some bigger tires, what size tires are you guys running on these OME lifts? Id love to see some pics

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME 927 fronts and OME 948 rears will give you over 2.5" of lift.Most run 245/75R16's on either stock rims or after market 16x7 rims with 4"-4.5" of back spacing for lesat amount of issues.At 265/75's you will need to regear to 4.10's unless you like 10mpg's and no power at all.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you like 10mpg's and no power at all.

LOL i already get 13.6... I really hope its just my EVIC and that isn't actually what I get, though.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I haven't done anything to it mechanical wise to need a regearing. :shrug:

You added MOAB wheels.
What size tires are you running?
If they're 24-75-16's or 265-75-16's than you have done something to alter the mechanical ability of your Jeep.
You have raised the gear ratio in the differentials by going to a larger diameter
tire.

cj3waker

Reaction score
with stock wheels, 245/75/16rs and a 1" wheel spacer I would be fine with stock gearing wouldnt I? any idea on what kind of hit to mpg I would take with a move like that?

cj3waker

Reaction score
You'll loose about another 1-3mpg's with that combo.

I think I could live with that. Im trying not to drink the kool-aid but would aftermarket performance parts make up any mpgs? I scratched the full cold air and just bought a K&N air filter. Im still planning on either after-cat exhaust or just a high flow muffler, a throttle body spacer, and anyone know of any type of reprogramming or chip that can sacrifice power for mpg?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I could live with that. Im trying not to drink the kool-aid but would aftermarket performance parts make up any mpgs? I scratched the full cold air and just bought a K&N air filter. Im still planning on either after-cat exhaust or just a high flow muffler, a throttle body spacer, and anyone know of any type of reprogramming or chip that can sacrifice power for mpg?
Trash the K&N,a paper filter is much better and the stock air filter housing flows more then what the 3.7 can use and already is a true CAI.A aftermarket muffler will sound good(or catback syatem) but that is it.TB spacer does nothing on a multi port FI engine.The only tuning that is effective is to send your PCM to B&G to have tuned,about $400+ for that and no KJ till you get the PCM back.

cj3waker

Reaction score
Trash the K&N,a paper filter is much better and the stock air filter housing flows more then what the 3.7 can use and already is a true CAI.A aftermarket muffler will sound good(or catback syatem) but that is it.TB spacer does nothing on a multi port FI engine.The only tuning that is effective is to send your PCM to B&G to have tuned,about $400+ for that and no KJ till you get the PCM back.

so short of driving habits, the only way to improve a stock KJ's mileage is the PCM tuning?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so short of driving habits, the only way to improve a stock KJ's mileage is the PCM tuning?
The PCM tuning will give more power and if you keep your foot out of the fun pedal you can actually increase mpg's since the engine does not have to work harder.

The only proven way to keep or increase mpg's is to keep up with the maintenance(plugs and such) and to regear.

Latest posts

Members online