New to me 05 KJ and a few questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roydamnmercer

Reaction score
Obligatory picture:
You must be registered for see images attach

wavey.gif

So a few months ago I bought the Misses a 2005 Liberty Sport 4x4 with the 3.7l engine. It's a great little car that's been well maintained and is in excellent overall shape. I cleaned her up, put air in the spare, replaced the old, weak hood struts and rear glass struts. Otherwise, a really well taken care of car.

Issues/questions:

Original suspension...rides fine but sits at 18-1/4" center of wheel to flare with 235/70/16's. When rotating the tires I noticed the bushings are shot on the UCA and LCA's. Everything else is tight, straight, rust free, and dry. No complaints on the ride quality and shock rebound is normal...but at 120k on the odometer, I imagine it's time. Everything considered, do I need to worry about the suspension or the bushings yet? We don't off-road as it's basically a commuter/grocery-getter. Speed bumps are the most it sees and it handles them well. A mechanic friend quoted <$1000 for Moog springs(x4) Gabriel shocks, front struts and new UCA and LCA's installed OTD but he didn't see an urgency if I'm okay with the ride. I read the OME kit reviews, I just don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

The previous owner maintained the car meticulously except for his St. Bernard who drooled all over the interior leaving spots on the upholstery. I tried using upholstery cleaner to no avail so I need recommendations for good/inexpensive seat covers that fit well, won't break the bank and both my wife and I can live with (no camo or pink leopard spots).

I have the Part-Time (4wd) indicator light on...I guess that's common. Any reason this "needs" to be fixed? I'm not OCD enough to fix it if it doesn't cause harm or won't create a problem later.

Lastly, it smells in the garage. When the AC is being used, there is a musty odor in the garage. When the AC isn't used, on colder days, it's fine. I used Febreze inside the car and in the hood/windshield drains as recommended but the odor in the garage is weird. I did research and discovered there isn't a cabin filter to change or worry about...but dang! Any clues on what else it is or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance (if you've read this far!)

roy d

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! & welcome!

The experts should be here shortly

*****Check the vin online to see if all your recalls were taken care of

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks to be in pretty good shape
except the suspension, 120,000 miles its done/ toast
Heck my 04 I thought the suspension was so bad at 20,000 miles I upgraded .
If you're thinking of all 4 new springs and all 4 " shocks " then for just a little more you could have a way better ride and handling .
Gabriel shocks ,.....:emotions34:
The thing is the stock suspension was bad from the get go, bumping up to a little heavier spring and better shocks does a world of difference for these .
I have a full Monroe setup all new coils and shocks a guy gave me when I installed his lift. Was on for less than 500 miles, and then made the mistake in riding in mine . :help:
But at least think of upgrading, my 05 ( that my 90 year old stepfather is driving ) still has stock suspension , and I can't stand it ! Hits the bumpstops all the time, bounces / wobbles/ weaves or least sure feels like it :happy175:.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The humidity /water drains out the drain tube, so make sure you have one & it is not plugged.
See post 5 pic of drain tube link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f225/air-conditioner-drain-tube-58574/
There are lots of seat covers/ iggee makes some nice ones. But use google under Jeep liberty and images..
You could also try a pro detailer and see if they could test a spot/possibly they could clean dogs drewl spots etc..
Jeep will drive much better with new suspension & alignment.
Part time indicator switch link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-transfer-case-position-switch-44188/

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they cloth seats? If so you can remove the upholstery and on the GENTLEST cycle your washing machine has with a little detergent, wash them. Then either very low heat in the dryer or hang them up to air dry. Did this with a Liberty and the seats in my Ram. Cloth only though, this won't work for leather.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We found out the cloth upholstery stains even if you spill water.

I had a frank discussion with a chrysler tech a couple years ago about the matter. He said the trick is to get the whole seat wet/damp at once, and let it dry. I haven't tried... due to not having the patience to go without the driving Jeep for several days till the seats dry out. Oh well. One day maybe....