New tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get new tires and was wondering what you guys are running since you deal with the same weather I do. The ones I was liking are the general grabber at2 and cooper discoverer at3. I don't do off roading but in the winter they don't seem to plow the roads when I head to work for third shift; so I am looking for a more aggressive thread than normal highway tires. Forgot to mention I am running 235/70/16 with stock suspension

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get new tires and was wondering what you guys are running since you deal with the same weather I do. The ones I was liking are the general grabber at2 and cooper discoverer at3. I don't do off roading but in the winter they don't seem to plow the roads when I head to work for third shift; so I am looking for a more aggressive thread than normal highway tires. Forgot to mention I am running 235/70/16 with stock suspension

Hankook Dynapro AT/Ms are good price. The only down side to them are that they are loud. Doesn't bug me since I blast music.

If I were to get a new tire, I would try the Coopers. Although the noise doesn't bug me it does bug my passengers sometimes, so I would try something with very similar, but seemingly less aggressive tread pattern.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I work third shift and drive through 20 miles of unplowed farmland to get to work. I've seen snow drifts up over the hood. my silent armors never let me down. unfortunately they stopped making them.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I really liked my Silent Armor's too. Duratracs are great as well, but different category all together in my book.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Love the Duratracs, never use 4 wheel drive really after I installed them.
By the way installed them with 129,000 on mine, now at 204,000 and still going

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like my grabber AT2. Just can't recommend deep snow or mud in them.

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Discoverer A/T 3s. Haven't really driven in much snow since I got my kj in March. I drive 12.5 miles one way. I did get to try out ice covered roads once. I didn't have any sliding issues in 2wd until I was a block away from my house on my way home.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain and love them. Great dry road manners, and excellent grip in rain and snow.
I think this thread is going to be mostly a "what tire do you like" poll, much like do you prefer smooth or crunchy peanut butter (smooth btw).

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain and love them. Great dry road manners, and excellent grip in rain and snow.
I think this thread is going to be mostly a "what tire do you like" poll, much like do you prefer smooth or crunchy peanut butter (smooth btw).

Valid. Hence I tried to give my input based on his tire selections. I hate tire ******* contests. :happy175:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't that how it is though, the tires we chose and have on are "the best"!!! ;)

To be honest, I don't think mine are the best. They're loud *****'s. But they sure do grip and they sure were a damn good price and the tread wear sure is non-existent which is amazing.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have learned to take personal reviews with a grain of salt (with a Margarita). Just got new skins for the wife's car last week, Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (too much of a street tire for our Jeeps IMO). But, online opinions were all over the place from the best tire I've ever had to the worst. One complaint, which may be valid, is that they were noisier than others. They might be, but honestly I can't tell the difference between these and her old tires which made noise as well. Plus this is with the windows down. With the windows all the way up, you can't hear the tire noise at all.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have learned to take personal reviews with a grain of salt (with a Margarita). Just got new skins for the wife's car last week, Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (too much of a street tire for our Jeeps IMO). But, online opinions were all over the place from the best tire I've ever had to the worst. One complaint, which may be valid, is that they were noisier than others. They might be, but honestly I can't tell the difference between these and her old tires which made noise as well. Plus this is with the windows down. With the windows all the way up, you can't hear the tire noise at all.

Often times it depends on the vehicle.

I like taking opinions here fairly seriously because we have a lot of members that REALLY know what they're talking about. Anyway back to our topic.

Get the tires that TJKJ posted: Genius Tires

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No have to disagree with what some are saying in a way
I have had the stock tires = crap tire of course,
Firestone Destinations OK but sucked canal water in any situation but dry road, they were quiet though SOLD them before they were a third worn out
Kumho KL78s, for a cheap tire they didn't do too bad surprisingly, was good overall tire, got through some mud, did pretty good in snow / etc SOLD them before they were 50% gone
Goodyear MTRs ( original style) heavy / loud / wore like crap, sold as soon as I could
BFG ATs were an OK back in the late 70s-early 80s in present time much better tires out there junked them/sold for cheap price
Goodyear Duratracs over all much better on the road than any of the above, great in snow and are wearing great

I used to manage Tire Shops for Goodyear, also other Tire Stores that sold Dunlop, Michelin, General, BFG, Denman, etc. So over the years whoever came out with a new tire design I had to have it and try out. I can honestly say the Duratracs have been on my Jeep longer than any other tire I have ran in the last 44 years, like them the best.

So while some like to make people think its whatever you have on your Jeep is going to be what you say is best, I disagree. If the Duratracs wouldn't of been so good they would of been gone 50-60,000 miles ago, if they don't work on mine, I sell em cheap and move on.

Now that they are getting worn down I am looking at new tires, will I get Duratracs again since I like them so much? More than likely not since again I like to try new ones out, if what I choose doesn't work in 8-10,000 miles they will be sold cheap and again move on, and maybe back to Duratracs

Last edited:

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Tom, my Duratracs are the best tire I have ever had. In the snow up here in the mountains of Central Oregon, they can't be beat by any other stud-less tire I have seen. And Tom is correct again, they last forever. I am not buying a different tire ever (unless they make the Duratrac II)...

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duratracs are some amazing tires, my buddy has them on his wrangler and my neighbor has them on his LR3. They also look badass.

Now I'm running some Definity Dakota A/t2s which are made by Cooper for Pepboys. They are great tires for the price I paid for em, and rarely do I ever need 4WD anymore and they aren't really too loud. that or I just don't notice the noise anymore :happy175:. My next set of tires will probably be the M/T version of these tires.

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have decided on the discoverer at3 and will be getting them in the next week. I liked the tires I had on mastercraft courser at2 but they really seemed to wear out quickly. I only put just under 30k on them and not much tread left. That's with rotating them every 6k. Also I was annoyed when a month after I got them at Town Fair Tire; I went to get a new spare tire and found that they no longer had them due to the tire being discontinued.