New tire selection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I'd like to buy Goodyear Duratracs, but I've done a search and they are not available here, and if the vendor provides them, the price is $340 each:(

Other than Cooper and BFG, we have Pirelli, Toyo, Kumho, Marshal, Nankang etc. here.

To be honest, I don't like the appearance of both, but I think I'll have to make a choice between Cooper S/T C and BFG T/A. Which one would you prefer?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie was presented with the same query when he bought his tires. Same price for him after employee discount.
He got the S/T's. Better wet traction, better off road traction in general, and better road manners and similar treadwear.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I'd like to buy Goodyear Duratracs, but I've done a search and they are not available here, and if the vendor provides them, the price is $340 each:(

Other than Cooper and BFG, we have Pirelli, Toyo, Kumho, Marshal, Nankang etc. here.

To be honest, I don't like the appearance of both, but I think I'll have to make a choice between Cooper S/T C and BFG T/A. Which one would you prefer?
You must be registered for see images

my answer neither
save your money and get the STT's

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my answer neither
save your money and get the STT's

But STT's are mud tires. I like them but I have only 20% of my time off road. How would they perform on dry/wet pavement? Stopping distance, noise, etc?(dunno)

TBJ, I do about 14.000 KM per year. You say you agree with STT's?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBJ, I do about 14.000 KM per year. You say you agree with STT's?

Thats only like 8500 miles a year, that is not a ton of driving. Get you some fancy Mud Tires, at that rate you really wont have to worry to much about road wear.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats only like 8500 miles a year, that is not a ton of driving. Get you some fancy Mud Tires, at that rate you really wont have to worry to much about road wear.

Well, I'd love to, really, I know seeing them on my lifted Renny will make me happy:)

All I'm worried about is -as I've said- poor performance on pavement. Wet pavement traction, stopping distance, loud noise, etc. This makes me confused.:confused:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The solution is this.

Drive across the border and get Duratracs for about $180 each depending on size and get them mounted and balanced. (not $340 or whatever you said it was in Canada). Then scuff them up a little with your sneaker and throw some mudd on them (so they don't look new) and then go back across the border........:p:D

Dave

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd love to, really, I know seeing them on my lifted Renny will make me happy:)

All I'm worried about is -as I've said- poor performance on pavement. Wet pavement traction, stopping distance, loud noise, etc. This makes me confused.:confused:

Dude you drive a Jeep not a Cady
we had NO driving issues at all when we had MTR's on the KJ
the only down side was noise
oh and FWIW we drove the KJ about 95% on road

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I really like the Goodyear M/T R Kevlar tire that we have on our KJ.
The traction overall is excellent.
They just work awesome with anything I throw at them.
They do not hydroplane under any circumcises at any speeds...
And believe me, I have pushed them at well over 100 MPH with standing water that measures over 18 inches deep!

They don't wear like a daily driver high mileage tire, but then again, I never expected them too.

Oh, and by the way...

M/T doesn't mean "Mud Traction"

It means Maximum Traction.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. Well.. Couldn't find anybody selling Goodyear MTR's around here but according to the price list, they are way too expensive, around $350 each.

Actually I feel encouraged by your explanations about M/T's! If I'm going to be safe with them even on the dry/wet pavement/highway and the collateral will only be some noise and MPG loss, that's ok:) So in a few days, I'm going to go and get the 245/75/16 Cooper STT's($230). And maybe some painkillers for the headache:D

Last edited:

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure TBJ, with pleasure:) And those pics will not only show the man tires, but also my hardly earned BDS lift;)

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think M/T noise is that bad, unless you are listening to books on tape, just turn up the radio rockon.gif