New owner of a KK (2012) - thumping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phrogger

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a new owner of a 2012 Liberty Sport. Please be gentle. :)

I bought it from a private seller about a month ago. 60k miles on it. I have searched through the forums for my issue and have found a few things here and there, but wanted to see if any new posts have come up lately.

There is this infuriating thumping that comes from what feels like the center-ish/passenger side of my Liberty. It seems to be very random, only happens in 2WD and stops when I switch to 4WD. It does not seem to be suspension related: i.e., it does not always happen, it does not happen over bumps, it happens on flat surfaces, etc. It can start anytime and go away any time. I hear/feel it when I pull out of the driveway some days and not other days. I hear it when I slow down sometimes and not other times. I hear it when I am going a higher speeds and not other times. Hence the "infuriating" adjective.

I see posts/threads about CV joints and replacing driveshafts, but I am trying to put this all together to see if I can figure out what is really going on.

Where do I start? What do I look at? I found the thread about "how to change front driveshaft", but that seems to be for the KJ's. Is that applicable to the KK's?

I have always had Mopars of some sort or another and this is my third Jeep, but this is a noise I have never heard or dealt with before. I am sort of at a loss and would love some kind of help, input, direction, etc. If there is another thread referencing all of this, please point me to it! :)

Thanks in advance for any advice, assistance or other suggestions.

phrogger

Reaction score
Where did you find the part to replace? I see lots and lots of threads for older Liberty's and what part to get and where, but I am not seeing much for Liberty's newer than 2007. Or do the newer ones use the same part number as the older Liberty's...?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Where did you find the part to replace? I see lots and lots of threads for older Liberty's and what part to get and where, but I am not seeing much for Liberty's newer than 2007. Or do the newer ones use the same part number as the older Liberty's...?

I went to a junkyard and got a low mileage part for a few bucks. Just couldn't beat the price that they were asking. They cheated themselves. ;)