2012 KK lift gate won’t open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jraddy75

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post here am I’m hoping someone can help.

The lift gate on Liberty won't open and I suspect it is the lock actuator. I removed the plug in the trim piece to get to the manual release but when I tried turning the white plug it just cracked and won’t move. Anyone else have this happen? Is there another way to manually open the lift gate?

Any help will be greatly appreciate.

Thank you in advance

J

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooooh that doesn’t sound good. The least expensive way might be to break the plastic interior trim on the tailgate. It is held on by metal clips like the rest of the interior trim but there are two screws in the bottom of the trim that you won’t be able to get to with the door closed. I hope someone else has a different method, but this way you could access and unbolt the locking mechanism from inside without damaging the metal parts of the liftgate. You could find a replacement plastic trim piece at a junkyard that matches your interior color after replacing the lock actuator/mechanism.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the KJ the lift glass will pop open if you manually swing the tailgate open. Not sure on a KK.