New Owner Essential Checks and Servicing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sneeuberg

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 2006 Cherokee/Liberty 2.80 CRD and want to do all of the essentials before I start using the vehicle. Would appreciate a list of what I should check and service so that I can start with a relatively clean slate knowing that the basics are covered. I do all the servicing etc myself. A service schedule and checklist if anyone has one would be great. Thanks for the help.

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased a 2006 Cherokee/Liberty 2.80 CRD and want to do all of the essentials before I start using the vehicle. Would appreciate a list of what I should check and service so that I can start with a relatively clean slate knowing that the basics are covered. I do all the servicing etc myself. A service schedule and checklist if anyone has one would be great. Thanks for the help.
Of course there is the oils list for the axles, trans, engine, gearbox. The brake fluid should be checked as well. It should be clear like water. Every liberty so far that I have worked with has had gummy fluid on the verge of rotting the lines or already rotted the lines. The front brake hoses are particularly succeptible to rotting at the metal/rubber joints and should be replaced as soon as convenient because they are only $18 and a lot cheaper than hitting something. (I had one explode).
Also, in body work, pull up your door sill plastic panels and spray copious amounts of Fluid Film preservative into your outer rocker panels. The plastic panels that cover them are held on by 12 holes in that panel, which of course leads to that part rusting through if it hasnt already. Pretty much if there is a hole to spray it into anywhere on the body, doors, panels, bumper etc, do so.

Sneeuberg

Reaction score
Of course there is the oils list for the axles, trans, engine, gearbox. The brake fluid should be checked as well. It should be clear like water. Every liberty so far that I have worked with has had gummy fluid on the verge of rotting the lines or already rotted the lines. The front brake hoses are particularly succeptible to rotting at the metal/rubber joints and should be replaced as soon as convenient because they are only $18 and a lot cheaper than hitting something. (I had one explode).
Also, in body work, pull up your door sill plastic panels and spray copious amounts of Fluid Film preservative into your outer rocker panels. The plastic panels that cover them are held on by 12 holes in that panel, which of course leads to that part rusting through if it hasnt already. Pretty much if there is a hole to spray it into anywhere on the body, doors, panels, bumper etc, do so.
Thanks for that. Will be doing all the oils but thought there may be a few other essentials to do up front.Own a Discovery 2 and was advised to flush cooling system as well.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
When was the current timing belt installed? I think they're only good for a hundred thousand miles or six years, installed.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Look up any open recalls. Upgrade the suspension, or plan on it soonest.
Check how bad the cancer in the rear doors aft wells are due to the horrible design that puts the fender liner under the unibody folds so they can collect mud and water.

(haven’t dealt with a diesel - so I’m useless on engine stuff)

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say everything. I say don't over look anything. Don't think anything is good. Anything that can be serviced, new oil, etc. Anything.

Depending on your meteorological location get winter capable windshield washer fluid.
dc

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only use Full Synthetic oil in the engine and Dino in the diffs.
Correct HOAT antifreeze in the cooling system.

Download the 2006 Jeep KJ Service Manual here...has everything you need to know!

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

The LHD 2006 CRD has a potential problem in that the Fuel Filter Mounting Bracket has the main Wiring Harness passing behind it. So this mounting bracket presses down on the wire harness which can cause wires to short to the Firewall or for wires to short through to other random wire in the same harness.

So it is worthwhile to remove this Fuel Filter Mounting Bracket and inspect the wiring harness in that area to look for any damage and to pad and insulate any suspect wiring.

This is a known problem area and can cause breakdowns and can damage some electrical components! o_O

Always give the Turbo time to spool down and cool down after a longish trip....my 2002 Export CRD has a different turbo to the later models but allowing it to cool down for a minute after only a half-hour drive means that my Turbo is still in perfect working order!

Last edited: