New New York State License Plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last word was it is not going through.

The issue is not so much with the new plate ( but it is obnoxious) but with the forced cost of it and the bs reason for the change.

Dave

That's what I don't agree with. It's forced buying if you ask me.

This comes right on the heels of shutting down the Champlain Bridge that bridges New York to Vermont.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I don't agree with. It's forced buying if you ask me.

This comes right on the heels of shutting down the Champlain Bridge that bridges New York to Vermont.

Yeah, I was over that bridge recently. It is old and needs repair.....but not closed......bunch of idiots....it's the ONLY bridge up there. Now everybody is marooned. There's other ways to deal with it.

Dave

Jeep dawg

Reaction score
did you guys hear patterson the other day about these new plates?

(if you can find me another way to pay off NY's debt, then show me. but untill then NY drivers will be getting new plates and they will have to pay 25 bucks for them.)

I have a few words for you Patterson.....OH yea not after I had to pay twice as much to re-reg my KJ this year and thoes f-bomb stickers still WONT STICK!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The latest word on the new plates is that they are going to phase the old ones out and the new ones in so that if you are registering a new vehicle and not transfering/renewing an existing registration you will get the new ones and there will be no extra fee for the ugly sucker.

So I'm keeping the old ones.....:D

Dave

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Far as I knew this plan was eliminated so long as the government could find an alternative to get the money.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on this if anybody is interested...

They are no longer requiring you to upgrade to the new plates but they still will be phasing them in with new and renewed registrations.

So we'll all end up with them eventually, they just aren't forcing anyone to upgrade until they have to renew their registration anyway.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ugh. thats a bother. i dont live in NY anymore, VA has custom plates on the cheap and you have the choice between like 7 plates when you reg. i like the common NY plates...the orange is classic tho.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Prospect62 said, I just saw a van on my way to work, and both of its front and rear plates were these new ugly ones. They are even uglier in person! What were they thinking? I understand that it is not mandatory anymore, but that means if you buy a new car, or if you have to renew your plate, etc.. you will be issued this disgusting plate.

While the mandatory reissuance of license plates has been cancelled, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will begin issuing new Empire Gold (blue and gold) vehicle plates in place of the current Empire (blue and white) plates beginning April 1, 2010. The Empire Gold plates will be phased in gradually as the stock of Empire plates is depleted. Even though your Empire (blue and white) plates will still be valid on your vehicle, those plates will no longer be issued by the DMV when current stocks are gone.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/empgold/faq.htm

There is one way to avoid these plates, you can get custom plates.
You must be registered for see images

If I find any good looking ones, I will share.

Last edited:

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new NY plates remind me of the old PA plates before PA changed them to what they have now... think PA changed from the blue and yellow back in the early 90's if i remember correctly

LI_KJ

Reaction score
I went for them and don't think they look terrible.
You must be registered for see images attach

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff, where was that pic taken?
That's a sweet ride for a city beater.

LI_KJ

Reaction score
That was taken out east on LI at Smith Point park. About 6 miles of beach and dune driving out to the Moriches Inlet. Great fishing, and some light wheeling. Thanks for the citybeater compliment.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went for them and don't think they look terrible.
You must be registered for see images attach

Well, hello Jeff. Nice pic.

Black jeeps look good with that new plate. The black makes the ugly plate color look good....hahaha

Dave