New member with a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty2122

Reaction score
Hello all it’s great to have sites like this available to the public. First off a little information about myself I’m a 65 year young retired heavy equipment mechanic, that being said I’ve always done my own repair work on all my vehicle including engine transmission rebuilds. So I’m not new to turning wrenches. My problem is with a 07 Jeep Liberty 4x4. I’m hoping someone can send some ideals my way. Ok here’s the problem this thing runs great not short on power and fairly descent mileage. Bought it used with a 126789 miles on it but according to the paper work I received with it this is its second engine the first on being replaced at 65 thousand miles. Starts and sounds great after coming up to operating temperature and under light throttle makes a thumping noise toward the back of engine Sound high up in engine. You cannot hear it unless you are applying light throttle in drive or reverse Changed oil and filter. Cut oil filter open to inspect and it was very clean. No check engine light I’ve put over 5 thousand miles on this thing both on and off road with no problem at all besides that unusual noise , Thanks for taking the time to read this any ideals would be appreciated.this is the notorious 3.7 engine that seem to have a history of odd noises

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
3.7s have notorious engine noises ???
Strange, been working/ owning these 3.7s for over 15 years never heard that
none of mine make any history of odd noises or any of the well bunches I have done lifts etc on ?

On to you, not a loose bolt on flywheel , trans mount vibrating back up through ?
manual or automatic ?

Rusty2122

Reaction score
3.7s have notorious engine noises ???
Strange, been working/ owning these 3.7s for over 15 years never heard that
none of mine make any history of odd noises or any of the well bunches I have done lifts etc on ?

On to you, not a loose bolt on flywheel , trans mount vibrating back up through ?
manual or automatic ?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It is a automatic. Unable to find anything loose underneath flywheel bolts are tight , you never hear the noise when it’s cold just after it warms up and only under light throttle no noise going down the road With a stethoscope noise sounds up high on back of engine. Around the egr area. I will keep looking until I find it. Thanks for getting back to me.odd engine noise probably would been a better choice of words.

Last edited: