Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aaronjp44047

Reaction score
new member, first time jeep owner!! and probably wont ever buy a jeep again lol
idk i am just having the worst time trying to work on this 2006 jeep liberty sport i have.
i am not a expert at auto mechanics but this jeep makes me feel stupid.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The good news is that the factory service manuals are available online to help you.
Regular maintenance items like oil & changing spark plugs is an easy task.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also suggest going to a wrecker and pick up the clutch fan (on the water pump) and the electric fan and shroud (if yours doesn't have heavy duty cooling). Greatly reduces the chances of ever over heating and needing a head gasket/heads machined. The clutch fan ensures that if your electric goes down you still have great cooling.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
"Regular maintenance items like oil & changing spark plugs is an easy task." except on a KJ (3.7)!

The only thing I've had to resort to the manual to locate the oil filter - &, even then, if it hadn't been white, I'm still not sure I'd have found it. Access is so bad, it's easier with the front diff removed.

I've yet to find the spark plugs.

Tempted to mothball mine for when I'm no longer able to do my own repairs, so I can just drive it.

All that aside, note I was the 1st to urge perseverance. I hate working on mine, but it has to be done - & it is an education.

aaronjp44047

Reaction score
It's a Jeep thing. Don't worry about it too much. In awhile you'll feel so stupid you'll get another one.

What are you having troubles with?

If you have the CRD they're just that wa

The good news is that the factory service manuals are available online to help you.
Regular maintenance items like oil & changing spark plugs is an easy task.
thats funny you should mention this!! i just downloaded it last night! i think it is like over 6000page PDF lol
way better than that damn book i bought at autozone

aaronjp44047

Reaction score
so i have been fighting the rear end install for a month it feels like and i believe i messed up that axle alittle.
ive been so focused on that damn rear end of "ole black betty" that i wasnt even paying attention to the motor. water pump is leaking and i have a feeling my oil pumped is clogged

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are having water pump problems I would have a good look at your coolant. Make sure you stick with HOAT. Not OAT, not anything else, even if it claims to be universal. Anything but HOAT will sludge up on you and create all sorts of grief.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are having water pump problems I would have a good look at your coolant. Make sure you stick with HOAT. Not OAT, not anything else, even if it claims to be universal. Anything but HOAT will sludge up on you and create all sorts of grief.
So fun fact... you can put any coolant compatible with that engine in. What you cant do is mix coolants with HOAT and 5 year. Mixing will cause gelling and it will clog everything. The key is to completely flush all old coolant out. Prestone got sued a while back for claiming their stuff is compatible, which it was.... but failed to mention only after flushing entire system.

I do suggest just sticking with whatever the service manual calls for, such as 5 year or 10 year Mopar coolant(it will say on prodemand or all data). Just keeps life simple and if anyone else works on your car they know what to put in.