New jeep owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ovedz

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm getting a jeep this week. I need some pointers on what I should look for when buying it. It's an 02 renegade 92k miles

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

02 is a good year. Have it checked out good like you would with any used vehicle.

Dave

Ovedz

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

02 is a good year. Have it checked out good like you would with any used vehicle.

Dave

Ah ok thanks dude. Any place in the forum u could show me to for help with performance upgrades.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Performance upgrades ???
Its a Jeep not a Mustang
Keeping maintenance up and gearing are about it
just say no to CAIs etc

Ovedz

Reaction score
Performance upgrades ???
Its a Jeep not a Mustang
Keeping maintenance up and gearing are about it
just say no to CAIs etc

Just because your comfy with a v6 doesn't mean there's people out there that want a little more juice. It looks nice, now I want to make it sound nice, not by just adding a new exhaust system. When you live near the Catskills it helps to have more kick when ur scaling mountainsides.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
There are a good deal of snake oil upgrades that you can sink your money into if you choose... but really nothing that performs and lasts.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because your comfy with a v6 doesn't mean there's people out there that want a little more juice. It looks nice, now I want to make it sound nice, not by just adding a new exhaust system. When you live near the Catskills it helps to have more kick when ur scaling mountainsides.

piston rings are to high on the pistons to handle any boost so forced induction is out of the question, IIRC i've heard that the ECU will learn around something like a jet chip and you'll be back to stock tune in no time, no company makes performance parts for the 3.7 (not even ignition coils), i think the name of a company that can actually tune the ecu is "B and G", (someone correct me if i'm wrong) and as tom said most "cold air intakes" aren't that they are a Short ram intake=hot air intake, so a good set of headers from JBA and a cat back are your only "power adding" options and if you just want the sound go for it, but IMHO the payoff in added power isnt worth the money for an exhaust on a kj, but if you're dead set on more power do a 4.7 swap.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
piston rings are to high on the pistons to handle any boost so forced induction is out of the question, IIRC i've heard that the ECU will learn around something like a jet chip and you'll be back to stock tune in no time, no company makes performance parts for the 3.7 (not even ignition coils), i think the name of a company that can actually tune the ecu is "B and G", (someone correct me if i'm wrong) and as tom said most "cold air intakes" aren't that they are a Short ram intake=hot air intake, so a good set of headers from JBA and a cat back are your only "power adding" options and if you just want the sound go for it, but IMHO the payoff in added power isnt worth the money for an exhaust on a kj, but if you're dead set on more power do a 4.7 swap.

This.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Sorry just telling it like it is
Sure you can add a different muffler for sound but not going to gain much real world HP, just sounds like you do.
Only real thing to do if going bigger tires is to regear
The one company that made headers for the KJs even stopped making them
so..............

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re-gear.

I live in Colorado,my apartment is at 6200' and my work is at 6900'.Wheeled at high as 12,400'.Stock 3.7,stock 45RFE trans,6000lbs curb weight,and 35" tires.Granted I have 5.13's in the diffs.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe 5-10hp if any at all,mostly effects the trans for better shifting by correcting the speedo and altering shift points.

The transmission shifts soooooo much better. According to hypertech it's a 25hp/25tq gain. I'm sure that's not true but it's significantly faster and worth it to me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2