New headlight bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel

Reaction score
I just found this forum and am thrilled to learn more about my KJ!

I just had a headlight bulb burn out, and in talking to a couple guys in my office, they all recommended getting brighter bulbs. I'm not very savvy when it comes to electrical stuff, so I need a little advice. I believe they're 9007's, right?

One guy mentioned picking up some 80/100 bulbs from JC Whitney. Is there any issue with those being compatible? Will they burn too hot, or blow a fuse, or something else I'm not aware of? Blue vs. white, etc?

(I realize they're for off-road use only and illegal for street use, so for the sake of argument let's say I off-road it to work every day...)

I don't have a ton of cash just for headlights but figured that if I need them I might as well upgrade a bit. (Not in for a several hundred dollar upgrade to HID)

Recommendations?

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Sylvanya "Silverstar" Bulbs are pretty common around here, and readily available at wally-world/auto parts stores. Not sure on the 80/100's, but just thought i'd throw another option out there for you.

cheers.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
javert says you have to get a special bulb that was only used in the first 213 off the line of your model year and they are not used in any other car. Make sure you get the right ones or it causes the CD player to run backwards and you will hear messages telling you to kill The Polish Sausage mascot at the next Brewers home game. I know it sounds crazy, but javert says so.

Diesel

Reaction score
the_titan said:
javert says you have to get a special bulb that was only used in the first 213 off the line of your model year and they are not used in any other car. Make sure you get the right ones or it causes the CD player to run backwards and you will hear messages telling you to kill The Polish Sausage mascot at the next Brewers home game.

I actually hooked up my neighbor's indiglo calculator watch in there for a temporary fix. The only issue is that now the Kunnuter valve is leaking blinker fluid and the lugnuts keep slipping off.

Any other insight on the 80/100 watt bulbs, or good replacements?