New Head Unit for my KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackForest

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a new head unit for my '03, mostly because there's no way to plug an mp3 into the stock one. I'm looking for something between $75-$110, Any suggestions?

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crutchfield and sonic electronix....both great site what are you looking to get? cd player? digital media deck? ipod integration? pioneer, kenwood, alpine, and jvc are all great brands with plenty affordable options.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem with crutchfield is that they're overpriced in my opinion. Of course, you're buying peace of mind for the fact that you're getting what you need. Not saying that isn't worth it, but if you know what you're doing and what you need, then you can get yourself a much cheaper deal.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a JVC-KD R610, bought it for a few reasons. Top reason was you can adjust the color of the LED's and back lighting to any color, so mine matches the Jeep's LEDs now (much more stock looking).
2nd reason was it had a USB drive on it for MP3 playback.
3rd was price.
4th it had an AUX plug.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a new head unit for my '03, mostly because there's no way to plug an mp3 into the stock one. I'm looking for something between $75-$110, Any suggestions?

Get a satellite radio adapter (mine is from Terk) plug in to the back of the HU, then get a decent length RCA to 3.5mm adapter cord and voila! plug in your mp3 player. I did this to both the Liberty and Ram.

Looks like this:
You must be registered for see images

Then plug one of these into it:
You must be registered for see images attach

Total cash outlay (ebay) about $30.

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a satellite radio adapter (mine is from Terk) plug in to the back of the HU, then get a decent length RCA to 3.5mm adapter cord and voila! plug in your mp3 player. I did this to both the Liberty and Ram.

Looks like this:
You must be registered for see images

Then plug one of these into it:
You must be registered for see images attach

Total cash outlay (ebay) about $30.

yep works great i have that same unit

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Will that work with the base head unit? I think that's what I have :shrug:

Wow they are pretty scarce on the interwebz!

Last edited:

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend this unit by Kenwood

Kenwood KDC-HD455U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

I just recently installed this in my 2006 with the premium infinity system. It is cheap, absolutely loaded with features, and quite attractive. It also has a color setting that matches the factory dash lighting 100%, runs AUX input as well as USB input, controls pandora, iPhones, and has HD radio.

BTW: It can be found cheaper at FRYs, which is where I found mine. I'd also check Amazon and other retailers first.