New Head Unit and Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm shortly planning on replacing my stock CD/Stereo head unit along with all door speakers (maybe tweeters too). Can I have some suggestions on a Head Unit and Speakers?

Thanks all!!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the same thing.

I was gonna go with an Alpine CDA-9847 with some Kicker speakers. I got kinda cheap... so.... I haven't done it yet.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd get either a pioneer or Alpine head unit and then some boston accoustic speakers.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, in ours I just replaced the HU with a Pioneer DEH-4700MP, added a small amp and 10" sub and it sounds great. I left the stock speakers alone and I can still here it when it's a block away.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jp1 said:
FWIW, in ours I just replaced the HU with a Pioneer DEH-4700MP, added a small amp and 10" sub and it sounds great. I left the stock speakers alone and I can still here it when it's a block away.

Thanks for the info. I decided to replace my speakers because my back right passenger speaker has a garble in it. I can't hear it often but if I adjust my sound to go through the back speakers I can easily hear it. It happens when I'm only using 1/4 of the volume, it's worse if I turn it up more.

Thanks for the info and I'll check into that type of HU. What type of small amp and sub did you add?

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blckkj said:
Thanks for the info and I'll check into that type of HU. What type of small amp and sub did you add?

The amp is, ready for this........a Jenson 75wx2 RMS. I bridged the 2 channels and it runs a Kenwood 10" Bandpass box. Nothing fancy, pretty much low end stuff, but still sounds pretty good. It makes for a decent budget system. The amp and box are at least 5 years old and still sound just as good as they did new and my wife usually plays her music pretty loud.

I really like Pioneer HU's and they've served me well for quite a number of years. I just put a Pioneer DEH-3700 in my Dak, but the one in the Jeep sounds better.

I'd be interested to know what you wound up getting. Please post that when you get a chance.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I decided to replace my speakers because my back right passenger speaker has a garble in it. I can't hear it often but if I adjust my sound to go through the back speakers I can easily hear it. It happens when I'm only using 1/4 of the volume, it's worse if I turn it up more.

I have the same garble in the same speaker. Very weird...

I suggest an Alpine head unit. I've also had good luck with Pioneer and Aiwa. The Aiwa had a great sound, but the Alpine has the ability to make the iPod and lots of other things work, so I had to go for it.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
I have the same garble in the same speaker. Very weird...

I suggest an Alpine head unit. I've also had good luck with Pioneer and Aiwa. The Aiwa had a great sound, but the Alpine has the ability to make the iPod and lots of other things work, so I had to go for it.

Good looking out!! I am getting an iPod Mini in about a month. I wasn't sure what type of unit will work with the iPod.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the one I have for Alpine:

You must be registered for see images attach

Alpine iPod Interface, KCA-420i

Pioneer makes one, too:

You must be registered for see images

Pioneer iPod® Interface Adapter (CD-IB100)

I think those are the only interfaces for aftermarket decks that are made by the same vendor and allow the ipod to be controlled by the HU

There are some other products that connect to factory head units (and some aftermarket ones), but they tend to be expensive and specific for a model.

And there's always some head units (like my old aiwa) that have an AUX input on the front or back, so you can plug in whatever you want to.

evane007

Reaction score
Have Clarion DZX6 series, 6.5 image dynamics in front door. 15 inch type r in rear. Will switch soon. Too much room

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jp1 said:
blckkj said:

The amp is, ready for this........a Jenson 75wx2 RMS. I bridged the 2 channels and it runs a Kenwood 10" Bandpass box. Nothing fancy, pretty much low end stuff, but still sounds pretty good. It makes for a decent budget system. The amp and box are at least 5 years old and still sound just as good as they did new and my wife usually plays her music pretty loud.

I really like Pioneer HU's and they've served me well for quite a number of years. I just put a Pioneer DEH-3700 in my Dak, but the one in the Jeep sounds better.

I'd be interested to know what you wound up getting. Please post that when you get a chance.

Picked up the Pioneer DEH-3700 and it works great!! I have a MTX 400watt amp powering my 10" sub. I like how the 3700 has 2 pre-outs, aux input, and it plays MP3' s!! Good deal from Best Buy since it was on sale. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! Now I just need to upgrade my speakers.