New Guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and new to the liberty. Just bought an 04 Sport 4X4 with the 5 speed in it on Friday. This place looks like a great source of information.

I had a couple of questions I didnt see via the search, if I missed them I apologize. 1. What do you guys put on the grey bumpers and fender flares of the sport? 2. What is the best thing to check for for the engine codes of p0441 and p0442? I bought a seperate extended warranty but if its something simple I'll try and fix it myself

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll have some other questions later on, since I havent had it even a week yet.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
the grey non painted bumpers are "stock" theyre baseline. My Sport has grey painted fenders which were a special edition thing.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0441 Generic Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow

Insufficient or excessive vapor flow detected during evaporative emission system operation. If after performing all powertrain test for P0441 with results that appear to be normal/test pass, check for fuel in the purge canister. If there is fuel in the purge canister check ORVR (on-board refueling vapor recovery) system per service manual section 25. If ORVO is working as designed insure that the vehicle owner is not overfilling the fuel tank.

P0442 Generic Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)

A 0.040 leak has been detected in the evaporative system. (A faulty gas cap may cause this code). Also see TSB 25-001-02A. Note: The respective Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures Manual will direct the technician to determine if the vehicle evaporative system has an external system leak. Examples of some external system leaks are: a loose gas cap, a disconnected evaporative system hose, or a loose hose connection. Remember that the evaporative system may also have an internal system leak. This internal leak may be caused by an intermittent or permanently stuck open Duty Cycle Purge (DCP) valve. This leak source is considered to be internal because any escaping emissions enter into the engine system and not directly into the atmosphere, unlike an external leak. An internal leak may cause one of the above DTC?s. Possible causes of a stuck open (intermittent or permanent) DCP valve are: 1. Corrosion due to system moisture or possible water intrusion into the system.

Those are just cut and pasted from on online database, but it gives you a good idea about what's involved with those codes. Depending on your mechanical know-how, you might be able to trace the problem and correct it using these paragraphs alone. Basically, those codes are a pain.

Regarding the gray trim, I've never put anything on it and it seems to stay the same. Never faded or cracked. Pretty durable stuff, not like the fender flares they put on Wranglers of days past.

2003KJ

Reaction score
the grey non painted bumpers are "stock" theyre baseline. My Sport has grey painted fenders which were a special edition thing.

What I think he meant was what do you put on them to bring the color back.

"Mothers Back To Black" works OK. I usually just take some of the same Black Magic Tire Foam that I put on the tires, work it in with a damn sponge with some of the foam on it into the tires, then go over the plastic trim on mine. Seems to last just as long as Mothers (if not maybe slightly longer...all depends on how much driving in the rain/washes I do).

For the codes, when I look them up I get:
P0441
Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
P0442
Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
I wanting to assume (but we all know what happens when one assumes) that the P0442 code is coming up because of the P0441 code. I could be wrong on this however.

Most Evap. codes I see are in relation to the gas cap either being faulty or loose. However they usually throw the P0442 code, and only that code. In your case, I have to wonder if the purge pump is malfunctioning. I've never had to mess with the purge pump before on a vehicle, so i'm not confident enough to tell you what to fix and to do it yourself. My advice to you is to bring it in under the extended warranty you purchased, and have them fix it. The mechanic should have a simple way to test the purge pump and make sure it's functioning properly.

(welcome) to the site!!!

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its actually 440 and 441, I messed it up. Sorry but thanks for the replies. I did some further research after posting and decided to let the dealership worry about it, seems like too much headache to mess with since there doesnt seem to be one thing in particular that sets the codes off.

And the color is fine on the fender flares just wanted to keep them that way. I was thinking about the tire foam but wanted to see what others were using.

Speaking of tires I'm gonna need some soon. And the tire forum seems to be all about how big of tire can I put on it. Any recommendations for those that dont plan on going off road? I have 16" rims.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i like my 235/75/16 Dayton AT, but they are really road tires. look offroadish. fill the wheel well. no road noise!
Oh, they rub ever so slightly. but only when 1. im really turning hard, 2. i have it full of people and turning hard
You must be registered for see images

http://www.allegiancetire.com/atdltruck.asp

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
Its actually 440 and 441, I messed it up. Sorry but thanks for the replies. I did some further research after posting and decided to let the dealership worry about it, seems like too much headache to mess with since there doesnt seem to be one thing in particular that sets the codes off.

And the color is fine on the fender flares just wanted to keep them that way. I was thinking about the tire foam but wanted to see what others were using.

Speaking of tires I'm gonna need some soon. And the tire forum seems to be all about how big of tire can I put on it. Any recommendations for those that dont plan on going off road? I have 16" rims.

You actually had the codes right the first time. Since the code numbers go well into the 1000's...the ones below 1000 get 0's infront of them (like P0441 and P0442).

As for tires, You can find some decent street/all season tires out there for reasonable prices. I've heard a lot of good things about the Michelin LTX M/S tire, but of course with Michelin, you're gonna pay a pretty penny.

Personally, I would recommend a good all terrain. Even though you don't plan on doing any off roading, you never know when you'll come up on a situation where you'd regret not having an A/T. I hardly (if ever) wheel my Jeep, but there have been several occasions where the A/T's I have on have come in real handy (exploring new housing developments that dont even have paved roads yet, and everything was solid mud, to name one example).

The two most popular A/T's around here are the BFG All Terrain TA K/O, and the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO. I've had the Revo's on for about two and a half years now, and they're down to probably about 30% left. I'm looking at replacing them this spring, and will probably go the BFG route, because I really like the aggressive look they have. Don't get me wrong, the REVO's are a wonderful tire, but with Bridgestone, like Michelin, you're going to pay a bit more for the name. I have nothing but good to say about the Revo's. They've stood up to everything i've thrown at them (washed out roads, muddy paths, driving on the beach..etc etc). The only thing I havent tried them in yet is snow, because we havent had any in about 3 years (hopefully that will change tonight).

The reason why they have worn as fast as they have is my lower ball joints went bad slowly, and I didn't realize it until it was almost too late. After I had it fixed under the recall, I had them re-align the Jeep and I rotated my tires, and from then on I could hear them howling down the road (they sound like the big M/T's on those monster trucks you see running around town....sounds really cool :D ). Had the ball joints not gone bad, I could probably get another year easily out of them.

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I realize about the zeros, its throwing P0440 and P0441 and not P0442. But I had it picked up a few minutes ago, the service dept actually sent someone to pick it up and bring me something to drive, since the dealer is an hour away.

Thanks for the tire recommendations, I was definately thinking of a all terrain for the just in case reasons you stated. My mother just put the Michelin LTX M/S on her Cherokee sport, that may be the the route I go. They make for a quiet ride and have a ton of tread on the tire, which should last a while. I've got at least a few oil changes to think about it though.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Hello New Guy. :)

I love the unpainted plastic fender flares. They're very durable and even if you do scratch them, you won't feel so guilty about it. They don't seem to fade either. Only thing is though, IMO they only look good on certain colors.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
cdh1125.......I can't help with your fender question but just wanted to say.......welcome and congrats on your new jeep.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, you must have one heck of a dealer if they are picking the Jeep up and leaving a loaner!

A tire shine will actually work out great on the flares and bumpers. It will or course make them shiny as heck but it will do its job at protecting them. The only thing about that, you will need to treat the flare just like you would a tire. Which means you will need to reapply it everytime you wash the Jeep, etc.

Make sure you dont use the same sponge to wash the flares and the paint once you do put a protectant on the flares, you dont want to get that crap all over your paint.

I use something call Meguiars All Season Dressing. You can get it in the gallon sizes or get a 32oz sample size from AutoDetailingSolutions.com. Its under "detailer line." Most of that stuff in the detailer line is for detailing shop that details alot of cars. Autodetailingsolutions makes it possible for weekend warriors to buy the products by making sample sizes, that way we dont have to buy an entire gallon. Example, the gallon of detailer line Glass cleaner will make 11 gallons of cleaner once you dilute it. I bought the sample size of glass cleaner(concentrate) and can make around 3 gallons. It was only $6 too. The All season dressing is ready to use and is not a concentrate, but the 32oz sample will still last along time.

Here is a Jeep with the plastic cladding of which I use ASD on.

Before/during:

You must be registered for see images attach

After:

It will last a few washes but the shine will degrade with each wash. If you drive in the rain alot it will wear off fairly fast. You may also notice that it looks like it runs when it rains on it. If you wipe the plastic with a damp MicroFiber towel or cotton towel it will spread it back out.

On a tire:

I buy those blue handled applicators at Advance auto for $1. Makes application alot easier and faster.

Another option is Mother Back to Black. It doesnt have to be used on old plastic, it can be used on plastic that is still in good condition. Ive never used this product but Ive read its good. It can also be bought at walmart.

Last edited:

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, you must have one heck of a dealer if they are picking the Jeep up and leaving a loaner!

Yea they're not bad at all. All seem like good people. They have a guy who's only job is to drive people to work and drive people cars and pick up their car for repair.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have some Mother's back to black already, so I'll probably just use that for now.