New front susp. to new front susp. again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WICKED KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I replaced the front suspension struts and spring combo about a week ago. the problem that's happening is that im getting a hard bang up front. everything is tight (i.e. bolts nuts and w/e). I purchased them from rock auto as a complete set up for about $250 for the pair I think. I also have an old rusty's lift that I purchased in like 2005 that's still on there. Ive got a lot of sag over the years due to that and thought that a set up (stock parts) would alleviate that problem. but I didn't. now im considering this from Rocky Road. what does anyone think about this set up. it doesn't really cost that much.

http://www.cartserver.com/sc/cart.cgi

also what height would it give me? I also have the clevis spacers that I bought from JBA. I bought 2 size rings .500 and .250. was thinking about putting both on.

WICKED KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that I could just replace the struts and keep the rustys on there. I really have no problem with the lift set up as it was before. just a little sag was all. just need to get that height back and the banging to stop

WICKED KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can I get the KYB GR2's and still use the stock spring and rustys spacer?

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your April '01 KJ had factory higher springs (when new) than all other years. So your factory springs sagged with age. You bought replacement springs from rockauto, which I am certain, mirror the ride height of later model springs ('03 and up). So right there you are losing what you had when the '02 KJ was new. I can't see your Rusty's cart link, it doesn't work. But anyway, do research on this site about opinion and real results regarding using parts other than these- Jeepin By Al, All J Frankenlift, Ironman, Old Man Emu, or combination of all those. You really should reconsider, before spending more money and being further unsatisfied with ride height or ride quality. I recommend buying from above places/ mfgs. and selling the new, hardly used Rockauto coils and shocks to someone needing stock height replacement.

And no, don't stack clevis spacers. .5 inch is the most that people recommend.

As for the banging noise, that could be one of several things. Did you tighten to torque spec, everything while it was still on jacks or when the tires were back on the ground? Always tighen when full weight of the Jeep is on the ground. Be sure swaybar bolts are tight.

You can dismiss my and others suggestions about lifts (many are dead set on trying another method), but the people on here know what works, what is a bandaid, and what is a waste of your money. I have learned so much from these guys and using the search tool.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you pulled in my driveway and asked for advice, my first response would be to tell you to remove everything you have on there now and buy good parts and redo it all. :sorrysign:Throw that crap Rustys spacer away, get the right springs from OME or Ironman and do it the right way. Everything you are mentioning is just doing a bandaid repair and will not last long term.
Yes I'm sure some think that what we preach every day almost is pure ********* and you want to "do it your way or a cheaper way" , but in the end what we suggest works...period.
I won't install a spacer lift since I know in the end the owner will not like it and the ride will be crap. If I install something or suggest something I am linking my name to that product and want a happy owner when all is said and done.
You've already wasted enough money now do it right and be done and be happy
Oh and sorry I speak so frank and don't provide roses but it is what it is :icon_wink::rofl:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
your April '01 KJ had factory higher springs (when new) than all other years. So your factory springs sagged with age. You bought replacement springs from rockauto, which I am certain, mirror the ride height of later model springs ('03 and up). So right there you are losing what you had when the '02 KJ was new. I can't see your Rusty's cart link, it doesn't work. But anyway, do research on this site about opinion and real results regarding using parts other than these- Jeepin By Al, All J Frankenlift, Ironman, Old Man Emu, or combination of all those. You really should reconsider, before spending more money and being further unsatified with ride height or ride quality. I recommend buying from above places/ mfgs. and selling the new, hardly used Rockauto coils and shocks to someone needing stock height replacement.

And no, don't stack clevis spacers. .5 inch is the most that people recommend.

As for the banging noise, that could be one of several things. Did you tighten to torque spec, everything while it was still on jacks or when the tires were back on the ground? Always tighen when full weight of the Jeep is on the ground. Be sure swaybar bolts are tight.

You can dismiss my and others suggestions about lifts (many are dead set on trying another method), but the people on here know what works, what is a bandaid, and what is a waste of your money. I have learned so much from these guys and using the search tool.

You have learned well grasshopper

WICKED KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help fellas. I was happy with the spacer lift until I was deployed for 2 straight years and the weight of the jeep sagged the front. that's what I think and what im blaming it on. hahaha. but just ordered new OME's and doing it right. with a .500 clevis on each side

and im not hurt by all the straight forward answers. that's what I was looking for and knew yall could give it to me

thanks again will update next weak when all is put on

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds awesome. Sorry, so many try to blaze their own trail when it comes to lift part combinations. Thank you for your service, let us see pics when you install!