New engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sailor422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as some of you may know I need a new engine and that the v6 is prone to oil issues apparently. So my question is this does anyone know of any other engine that fits into the Libby I'd love to Put a inline 6 or a beefier engine and not have to put the same one with possibly the same issues in.
Thanks
Matt

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What issues?
I know of a lot in the 175/200,000 mile range so not a lot of issues really
If you want a different engine dig deep its not a cheap nor easy project. And an inline 4.0 now you do want issues :happy175:

sailor422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um apparently an oil issue that chases the engine to blow. Which happened to me if that's the case I'll put a new engine in and sell it

Red_KJ_666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the issue that caused the motor to go? Mine has a lot of km's on it with no problems wondering what I should watch for or replace, as Tom stated tho there is no easy engine swap for a KJ. You will spend a pile of Dough putting anything else in that you will never get back.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um apparently an oil issue that chases the engine to blow. Which happened to me if that's the case I'll put a new engine in and sell it
Not maintaining your vehicle is why it blew if it was a oil issue.

Your looking at 3-4 times the cost of replacing the 3.7 with another type of engine other then the 3.7,and that is before you get into the electronic side which will double or triple that cost again.It's not only the engine that would be swapped but the trans,t-case(most likely if not a Chrysler trans/engine),whole driveline,and other mods needed to make it fit.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be the guinea pig and put a 4.7 in it's place.

sailor422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not maintaining your vehicle is why it blew if it was a oil issue.

Your looking at 3-4 times the cost of replacing the 3.7 with another type of engine other then the 3.7,and that is before you get into the electronic side which will double or triple that cost again.It's not only the engine that would be swapped but the trans,t-case(most likely if not a Chrysler trans/engine),whole driveline,and other mods needed to make it fit.

It was most definitely not a maintenance issue I was meticulous with my fluids. I'm just repeating what the mechanics have been saying to me. One guy said the rings went. And then after looking online there are many complains abOut an oil sludge issue. Don't know how fake their claims are. I'm as confused as anyone. All I know is my jeep was running fine and bam no more engine.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have never heard of the 3.7L having "oil issues."

but a engine swap with anything else than the 3.7l is counter productive.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So as some of you may know I need a new engine and that the v6 is prone to oil issues apparently. So my question is this does anyone know of any other engine that fits into the Libby I'd love to Put a inline 6 or a beefier engine and not have to put the same one with possibly the same issues in.
Thanks
Matt

Sorry about your engine problem Matt.

The 3.7L is used in a lot of Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge products and as far as I know there is only "oil issues" in cases of lack of maintenance or the wrong oil weight maybe. (lack of maintenance will cause problems with any engine, not just the 3.7L)

So you had this since new? How many miles on it? If you got it used, then how many miles on it when you got it, and do you have maintenance records from the prior owner? Maybe the prior owner abused it? (not changing the oil regularly)

Many on here have high mileage with no problems.

The 3.7L is the only easier/cheaper option for an engine swap I know of.

Dave

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hmmm, the only engines I have seen here that have blown are because of non-spec oil and lack of changes. Most of the non-spec oil was dino oil too. All the ones here that high mileage are running just fine and use synthetic and good brands.

Seems to be the key with these engines. Mind you, I have had Italian engines for years so ya GOT to look after them! They go bad real quick with the rong stuff in 'em!:pp:

Oliver

sailor422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used only quality synthetic bought it with 72k in 08 and it just went over 113k. My dads mechanic everytime I showed to pick my dad up told me they had a problem. I looked on here and figured he was full of it cause I trust the hell out of you guys on here. And then this happened and I'm not saying its a huge enthusiast issue cause do know you guys like me take care of your stuff. I just wanted to see if there was another engine cause to replace these 3.7 are particularly expensive in comparison. And just give you guys a heads up in what happened to me. It's a shame I loved my liberty.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used only quality synthetic bought it with 72k in 08 and it just went over 113k. .
So you have 72k of unknown miles there.

Any engine can go 60k,75k,and even 100k with no issues even if severly neglected and abused then one day it just breaks.This is how bad rumers about engines/vehicles get started as the 1st(and possible 2nd) owner didn't take car of the vehicle at all and traded it in thus the 2nd or 3rd owner get's the joy of dealing with a neglected/abused vehicle even if they took care of it correctly when they owned it.The majority of vehicle owners just do not care about the 2nd most expensive thing they own(for some it's the most expensive) because they have a warranty and plan on getting rid of it when it expires or at the 1st hint of problems.Trying to get poeple to do maintenance brfore a issue(when it's to late) is like trying to brush a ***** teeth.I see this all the time at work and I work on all makes/models but being in Colorado I do service more Jeeps then any other brand and I can tell you Jeeps(besides ones with the 4slow) have less problems then others.I have yet to see a 3.7 or even a 4.7 with "oil issues" or a damaged engine and the 3.7 is in alot more vehicles then just a KJ/KK.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He might be referring to the wierd oil sludge that builds up around the oil fill cap/PCV valve area sometimes...Havent read anything about this causing any problems though.

Any swap would probably require a full drivetrain and electronics swap. That means you would need an entire donor vehicle to make it even remotely cost effective.
You could keep an eye on craigs list and your junkyards for a wreck to show up for cheap, but even then you will have a LOT of custom fab to do.

Thats not to say it cant be done...theres plenty of room in our engine bays and underneath that you could probably fit just about anything if sufficiently motivated.