New CV Axle Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

db840

Reaction score
So last week I got new JBA cut down CV axles installed on my 2004 Liberty and eveything was working great. This weekend I installed a 4" JBA lift and now the new driver side CV is popping when I drive straight or turn right. Why? The Jeep has not had an alignment yet because I'm not sure I can safely drive it. What could I have done to the CV?

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's those cvs or is it possibly the front driveshaft rear cv?

Last edited:

db840

Reaction score
Not 100% sure it is the cv axle but it makes the classic bad cv popping noise. Turning slightly left or hard left and the noise is instantly gone. With speed it gets louder. Everything was quiet before the lift so I'm not sure what else could be making that noise. Never touched the front driveshaft. Pulled back the cv boots and everything seems fine. Wheel bearing seemed tight as well.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure it is the cv axle but it makes the classic bad cv popping noise. Turning slightly left or hard left and the noise is instantly gone. With speed it gets louder. Everything was quiet before the lift so I'm not sure what else could be making that noise. Never touched the front driveshaft. Pulled back the cv boots and everything seems fine. Wheel bearing seemed tight as well.

I'd be more inclined to pull apart the cvs on the front driveshaft to see what is up inside of them. Could probably use some grease anyways.

db840

Reaction score
I don't think it could be the driveshaft because the noise stops when I turn left and the popping sound seems to becoming from the driver-side front wheel. Could it be that since the wheels are out of alignment from the lift (23" mid-hub to fender), that a bad alignment the possibly the cause? It currently pulls strongly to the left. I'd hate to think I ruined my new cv axle somehow.

db840

Reaction score
So I just lowered the front lift to 21" center of the hub to the bottom of the fender and the popping noise is drasticly less, hardly noticable but faintly there. Still handles poorly-like it's very windy outside eventhough it isn't. But at least I can drive it to the alignment shop. Maybe cut cv axles weren't worth it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You can not really do anything until you have a proper alignment, you get all kinds of noises and bad handling until thats done

db840

Reaction score
I've never heard of a bad alignment causing cv axle popping noises. We'll see tomorrow if that is the cause as the Jeep limps to the alignment shop in the morning.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never said a bad alignment would cause CV popping noises
What I did say was that until you got an alignment done its hard to say what maybe making the noise. It could be putting something on a bind which in turn makes something pop when turning.
When lifting one thats never been lifted before you are changing the angles on so many different parts / plus if things were not tightened when full weight was on them, its just hard to say for sure what it is. Thats why get an alignment that takes one part out of the mix to try and determining what it is.
At 4 inches of lift the CVs should not be popping if everything was installed correctly and then all lift parts tightened when fully on the ground.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put JBA cut axles on mine and they don't pop. Getting a defective one is always a possibility. But, when you had stuff apart, did you inspect the intermediate shaft on the passenger side? The outboard end on mine was badly tapered and the cv hub was flopping around making a clunk/pop/groan noise that I couldn't tell which side it was coming from. Sometimes noises can travel, so don't trust your ears to say it's definitely the driver side unless you have your ear right up against it....which is hard to do while driving.

db840

Reaction score
Well the Jeep is back from the alignment/tire shop, front end re-lifted to 23" (4" lift) and the popping noise is 97% gone. Even more reduced than when I lowered it to 21" (mid-hub to fender). Only at hard acceleration or when I turn start to turn right at 20 mph does it start to show up. At least it's drivable now. The guy doing the alignment drove it afterwards and said it felt like the front driveshaft was bent. He said it was worst in 4wd. I'm not so sure it's the front driveline because when the noise starts, I can stop it by turning left. Anyhow, time to go to driveline shop and get them to check it all out. They are the ones that put in my gears/Truetracs and cv's and can tell me what's wrong at this point. At least it's drivable. Tom M is right, one thing at a time to reduce the variables.

Before the weekend (stock at 18" height):
You must be registered for see images attach

After the weekend (23" height-4" JBA lift, 265/75R16 BFG's)
You must be registered for see images attach

Time to add more mud...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pull the front driveshaft now, takes just a few minutes and drive it for a while .

db840

Reaction score
I was just thinking of that. Will do it tomorrow. Thanks Tom.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the front diff mount bushings(all 3 of them),they can get weak and allow the front diff to move causing knocking noises on acceleration and turning,if they are worn(moved to easily with prybar) they need to be replaced and 1 of those mounts is like $500.It'd check the R&P mount bushings also,another known cause of knocking noises.

db840

Reaction score
So I took the front driveshaft off and drove around and the noise is still there. But it's a good thing I did this because I would not have known the rear boot on the driveshaft had ripped and deteriorated. Checked the mounting bolts to the front diff and steering rack and everything was tight. Now it's off to the driveline shop tomorrow to get them to check it out.

db840

Reaction score
Driveline shop did a road test and looked at it and could not figure it out so they asked me to bring the Jeep back on Tuesday and they will put it on a hoist and find out what is actually wrong.

db840

Reaction score
So the Driveline shop rechecked everything and it seems to be a one-off bad axle. Talked to JBA and they are sending me a new one to replace it. Awesome service by JBA. And that's why I'm 100% JBA parts!