New Buyer Question, Under-priced Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ozone000

Reaction score
Hello. I'm considering purchasing a '06 Limited with all the options excepts heated seats and gps, including the skid plate package that seems nearly impossible to find on this year and Selec-Trac.

I have a couple of questions.

The price for this Jeep is low. Like, $2000 less than the KBB plus carfax estimation. I know that may not be all that accurate, but it is FAR more of an advertised discount than any other KJ out there.

My first question really is...is it the expensive options that make this an actually less desirable vehicle, or am I just lucky to be in a place where the value is not, well, values. That is, is the price the same as a 2007 sport with some dents because the sport is really about the same value?

This reminds me of the joke where two economists are walking down the street and find $1,000 lying on the sidewalk. They say it is fake because if it were real, someone would have picked it up already. Markets are generally pretty efficient, and this seems like an outlier. That makes me nervous.

Second question: I would generally prefer a simpler setup. Do many people do any kind of offroading with a sunroofed, power leather seated, EVIC'd beast? Not that I really plan to....but if the opportunity exists.....seems a bit riskier than tossing around the base model.

Thanks all. One of the primary concerns I have when buying a vehicle is the support of other members, and this seems like a good place. I'm diy all the way.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as going off road , it all depends on what you like really. Me personally I like simpler vehicles without out all the fancy doodad, but yet I found a really nice one owner last year, 05 Limited with everything that I got and my Step Dad is driving. And yes he goes offroad at 88 years old. :icon_lol:
But as far as price, that much under is kind of strange but maybe they just want to move it . I picked up an 03 one owner with 81,000 miles that they had a price of 6999 on, got it for less than half that
Check it out, if you read on here you can see things to look for , test drive it and see how it feels, suspension of course will be crap but thats easily fixed

ozone000

Reaction score
Thanks! That makes me feel better, as does the quick response. I also don't care for the doodads, but I've found that they are pretty reliable, really, which is really my concern. The Infinity speakers are probably much better, but maybe not. The skid plates (and slide rails? I don't know) are probably good enough for my uses. I hope the tow hooks will be useless. The current tires are probably not quite perfect, Cooper Discoverer HT Plus. Lift is cheap enough and my wife will likely insist. :emotions34: This will be a utility and fun truck. Initially I was looking for only utility. I commute by motorcycle and have a car for most other things but we need a second car at this point as a backup. Need some room to be able to do some repairs without being sans vehicle.

I've seen some pics of the shiny grille going through mud. Mostly I'll be going through sand or dirt, if anything. Like my ADV motorcycle but with some room for the female dog.

The Jeep is outside of Malibu. Perhaps not the highest demand for that kind of vehicle here? Tow package with extra cooling seems nice though.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have an auto mechanical background, or a trained ear, then you would be good to take it to a certified mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. If there's something wrong with it that's not obvious to the novice, then it would be money well spent. If the seller has something to hide, he will quickly object to an inspection. That's when you run away fast.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you think that a Liberty with EVIC, heated seats, premium sound system, etc would be less reliable or capable off-roading.

The Infinity speakers tend to blow the foam out and then sound like garbage, but that can be any car any speaker. I have the rest of the "doo-dads" and they've all been 100% reliable.

I dont go rock climbing with it, but mud/sand/dirt two-tracks and occasionally NO tracks, and haven't had any issues yet. Also go through 6-16" of snow about 4 months out of the year (not something you'll need to do in California). My leather seats have yet to stop me from getting through an off-road situation.

My guess is that it is likely priced to move. Plus, I can't see Malibu being a high-demand area for a Jeep Liberty. I only know about Malibu what you hear from pop culture and how it's portrayed on tv and in the media.. but it seems like the type of geographical/sociological area where a Liberty wouldn't fit in well.

Hence, a lower than Nationally typical pricing on it. If it's mechanically sound, and you like it otherwise, i'd see no reason to buy it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you're a DIY guy spend the extra time to really go over it. Take a look at the oil, see if it's milky or especially dirty, ask about differential and T-case oil changes, see if it has a CarFax history (especially wrecks.)

Since you're in Cali you don't have to worry about rust - the issues will be mechanical and electrical if there are any issues at all.

As far as the rest of the options - I have a Renegade that came with a lot of the options that are on the Limited. Yet I've added some that didn't come from the factory like leather heated/power seats, upgraded to a double-DIN head unit, satellite radio, etc. Plus the lift, ARB, rock rails, blah blah blah. It's my daily driver and I put a LOT of miles on it for my business so I want to be comfortable. And I'm just as comfortable on my off road trips as I am on the road ;)

For two grand cheaper than you were expecting you can do a fair amount of repairs for that money. Or if it's in good shape your finances are all set for the lift, tires, rock rails, Moabs.... :mexsmoke:

Bob

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm considering purchasing a '06 Limited with all the options excepts heated seats and gps, including the skid plate package that seems nearly impossible to find on this year and Selec-Trac.

The price for this Jeep is low. Like, $2000 less than the KBB plus carfax estimation. I know that may not be all that accurate, but it is FAR more of an advertised discount than any other KJ out there.

My first question really is...is it the expensive options that make this an actually less desirable vehicle, or am I just lucky to be in a place where the value is not, well, values. That is, is the price the same as a 2007 sport with some dents because the sport is really about the same value?

This reminds me of the joke where two economists are walking down the street and find $1,000 lying on the sidewalk. They say it is fake because if it were real, someone would have picked it up already. Markets are generally pretty efficient, and this seems like an outlier. That makes me nervous.

Second question: I would generally prefer a simpler setup. Do many people do any kind of offroading with a sunroofed, power leather seated, EVIC'd beast? Not that I really plan to....but if the opportunity exists.....seems a bit riskier than tossing around the base model.

Thanks all. One of the primary concerns I have when buying a vehicle is the support of other members, and this seems like a good place. I'm diy all the way.

I've never found KBB to be very accurate in my area.
You can get great deals just because the market is soft or the car sat too long on the lot and they need to move it.
If it is at a dealer they got in trade or at auction, meaning cheap. Usually dealers want to get a mark up of $2000.

Get a mechanic to check it out just to be sure if you're worried or maybe a warranty if they offer it. MY bank (USAA) had some company they recommended, but mileage and years requirements have to be met as well.

I'd get a carfax report but even then there are lot of little details that don't show up.

ozone000

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm inclined enough to do the inspection myself. I do them all the time. Not sure yet if the dealer will let me jack it up in the lot, but I'm not too worried about that. A needed bearing is not going to keep me from buying the Jeep so a test drive should be fine. The Carfax has extensive maintenance history.

Speaking of which, where can I buy a factory service manual? Google sends me to a bunch of "free download" sites, but I'm pretty sure its a free virus download. Or is Haynes the best option?

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be happy new owner! Off to the trail!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have all factory service manuals for mine ( from actual Jeep dealerships)
Best thing IMO, can carry them anywhere and no dang computer needed ! LOL

Onebigwrenchy

Reaction score

I guess this jeep is a private sale. Not a dealer or wholesaler right.
Has a state inspection been done?

ozone000

Reaction score
It's a dealer, but there were a couple of things wrong with it that are easy for me to fix. I offered $1500 less than what they were asking out the door, which translated to a $2300 discount after taxes and fees (lots of fees in Cali). That's on top of the aforementioned discount from KBB and Carfax. Only then did I actually look at the Jeep in person. I figured that if they accepted my ridiculous lowball offer then it was worth seeing if there was something obviously wrong with it. I'm not sure that they went to the Jeep website and got the equipment list, the price was appropriate if you didn't take into account the off-road package and selec-trac, which are pretty uncommon options and don't have choices in KBB. (At least from my research, it's not easy to find a '06 or '07 with the off-road package and though they all have hitches now, not all have the full tow package.) It had been sitting for quite some time, though they swore they just got it Cars.com and Carfax said otherwise.

After all, I got it at the bottom of the KBB fair market range, but that range doesn't include the Off-Road package, Selec-Trac, aftermarket stereo already installed (with Bluetooth), or the steady stream of documented maintenance from the other 2 owners. It is in near but not quite very good condition. If you count the Carfax valuation modifier (debatable), I got it at private party good condition prices.

For what it's worth, though the dealership did finally stop me from walking out on them, they didn't fill the tank, offer a warranty, or even wash it for me before I left.

Who knows, as they say, a fair deal is one where each party thinks they screwed the other guy. :party52:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Renegade was fully loaded and I wheeled her no different than I would a base model vehicle. Had to clean some mud from the sunroofs tracks every now and then though lol. I loved getting out to the bush on a hot Saturday with all the windows and sunroof open. That being said if I were to buy a rig dedicated to wheeling I would buy something with less frills. Less chances of water messing up wiring and motors and the such. Life is too short to not enjoy the finer things. My Titan is fully loaded too and I enjoy it.

ozone000

Reaction score
I think I was misunderstood a bit. I do not think that the fancy insides of a Jeep will inhibit any off-road ability.

However, I did wonder if maybe the options do not increase the value as KBB expects. As an example, I personally don't care about all the options I got and was looking at KJs at the same price for which I got mine without all the options. If the demand of options doesn't increase the price, then one may find a vehicle seems to be under-priced vis-a-vis a price guide that prices options according to a formula rather than actual sales.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoy and welcome to the club. I was bit miffed when I saw mine didn't come with skid plates but it just allows me to pick what I want instead.