New! 2006 Steering Wheel Play question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgliberty06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a proud new owner of a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport. It has 44k on it and is in amazing condition. My only question is I feel that there is a little bit of play in the steering wheel. It's not too bad in city but on the highway it feels like the car drifts off a little. Ive read through previous posts and know that some have had problems with steering. I can wiggle the wheel about an inch to inch and a half left to right and still stay straight. turning is fine but the play seems to cause more of a turn of the wheel than needed.

Is this pretty common or should this be a concern?

Thanks and Happy to be here!

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not normal.

When stationary and wheels are straight when you wiggle the slop in the steering, are your wheels moving at all?

Check U joints in steering column then move your way down to the rack and pinion, then outward to tierod ends.

Its not a F250 so it should be super tight.

If you elimate the steering column as a problem, go for an alignment (check) they should be able to tell you what they see if your lost and don't find the problem.

jgliberty06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks thats what i was thinking. It know people with wranglers who have issues with play but it still isnt normal to wander when i get around 60mph.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that issue a while back and it turned out to be a bad alignment.

Members online

No members online now.