New 2004 owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clinton

Reaction score
Hey all, just picked up an 04 Liberty and have been tinkering around with making sure everything is in good order. So far nothing major, had a code for b1s2 02 sensor circuit low, 5 minute swap and driving for a few minutes cleared the code. I also did a full synthetic oil change, noticed a few minor leaks... back corner valve cover on pass side, and what looks like high pressure PS line probably under the pump and at the bends behind the light. The valve cover isn't too bad, it just drops right on the exhaust for a little aroma therapy when stopped lol!

So the leaks being minor will probably be a summer project, did see a bit of wet on the back of the oil pan when I drained the oil, didn't get a good look so it could just be blow back from that valve cover, have to get a better look. The more immediate I plan on next are gonna be the rear diff fluid, transfer case, front diff, and trans fluid/filter. I'm probably gonna go the quick and easy route for the rear diff and vac pump out and refill since the seal looks nice and dry, don't want to muck it up lol.

The only other thing I had to fix was the sunroof, the clips that hold on to the sliders (not sure the exact names there) are partly broken and the pins were misaligned... so I had to pull the window off, realign the clips and pins, get the sliders with all of that back to closed position without them popping back out of place, put the window back on, annnnnd finally telling everyone not to ever touch the switches unless I get the new parts lmao... but at least it's closed and sealed instead of sagging in the back.

Odds and ends I'll be getting a spare tire cover, a visor clip (broken), floor mats (missing), and maybe some nerf bars down the road. It has 109K on it for an 04 so hopefully I get plenty of use out of it... any other common issues to look out for other than anything I hit on already?! :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You're getting there, but I would pull the rear diff cover and just check everything over real well. Usually bunch of gunk in the bottom if it hasn't had regular changes like it should.
But thats me, when I buy a used one its pretty much tore down and rebuilt before going out on the road . All fluids, belts , hoses, oil/filter, flush cooling system, thermostat , plugs etc.
When I bought the 03 year or so ago, it pulled in and didn't leave the garage for two days while I pulled spare parts out of stock and replaced everything to my satisfaction.

I just threw away a spare tire cover the other day. May have another one though laying around for stock size.

What color is the 04 , I bought an 04 new

Clinton

Reaction score
Yeah I would go to town on everything if the wife wouldn't kill me lmao... the belt looks new, and the upper rad hose, lower looks a bit older so I'll probably eventually drain it and put a new one on, another Summer job probably. Air filter looked good, battery looked new, may plop some new plugs and coil ons in this Summer too, and I already got new pads and hardware to freshen up the brakes.

I'm torn between digging in and doing the whole pumpkin seal drain on the rear diff or being lazy lol... and I still need to crawl under to see if it needs the friction additive or if it's not limited slip, trac loc or whatever they call it. I did get the build sheet from Jeep, but it just said the corporate 8.25 rear, didn't mention trac loc.

Last edited:

Clinton

Reaction score
Oh it's red with black/tan interior, been looking on eBay for the visor clip, Jeep said they couldn't get them or the floor mats anymore... found the clip for 12 and the mats are like 70-80 used for the OEM fabric ones so I may just get the trimmable rubber ones with the logo on them. They also said they couldn't get the wheel cover, which by that point I was just like whatever with them because I know they have wheel covers lol, saw the OEM ones on eBay for like 50-60. Someone took off the stock 215's that the build sheet said it came with and put on 235's... spare is a 225 though so go figure lmao!

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes pull the rear diff cover. At 25k mine had lube mud cakes in the housing at bottom.
I used some spray brake cleaner, even on gears, and they all looked good fortunately, with no major particles found.
My build sheet states: AXLE- Trac-Lok differential which requires the limited slip additive 4 oz bottle -mopar.

Last edited:

Clinton

Reaction score
Yeah I probably will go ahead and pull it... looks like AZ has a Felpro gasket for 4 bucks, I just hate using only RTV because I don't trust not getting a solid seal lol. Looks like I have the 42 ****** and they have a gasket with filter for that as well for like 15 bucks, guess those two things are next up on my to do list. Being as mine has the part time only 4WD and I don't really plan on using it anytime soon, how important is doing the front diff right away?

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the line from the cooler to the reservoir is known to rub and leak, it's kind of a pain to deal with - remove the grill and you can get to the cooler, then its a matter of fanangling it onto the reservoir lol, it's a bit awkward - but it is nothing unusual for the liberty

i use a lubelocker gaskets (reusable, around 110kmi and dry as a bone) on my diff's , but the front diff has a drain plug so it's just a matter of uncorking the fill plug and the drain plug (in that order ;) ) it actually makes the front diff easier to service than the rear aside from removing the engine skidplate. Keep in mind even tho no torques going through the front diff it still rotates as you drive so still needs servicing - as far as right away goes.. eh , it's a bottle and a half of gear oil probably no reason to put it off just to be safe right?

Last edited:

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO if your leaking oil do not use synthetic oil! It leaks out too fast!

Fix your leaks fast! You may open up valve covers and see so much sludge that the oil cant go past it fast enough so it leaks out the gaskets more.

check your front end out & rear UCA etc.

Welcome! & Good Luck!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup LubeLocker gaskets are excellent quality!
58657[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I only re-use them once each, & then buy new ones again.

Attachments

• LubeLockerGaskets.jpg
    LubeLockerGaskets.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no leaks on my rear axle cover -sealed with a bead of silicone.
been doin this since the 1970's

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a paper gasket glued to my Crane Diff cover , been on and off a dozen times and no leaks at all. Old drag racers trick

Clinton

Reaction score
IMO if your leaking oil do not use synthetic oil! It leaks out too fast!

Fix your leaks fast! You may open up valve covers and see so much sludge that the oil cant go past it fast enough so it leaks out the gaskets more.

check your front end out & rear UCA etc.

Welcome! & Good Luck!

It's not leaking near enough to be worried about, just a light weep on the back corner of the cover on the pass side... I would rather know I have good synthetic oil in there on an older engine and not knowing how well it was changed previously, like I said it's not even leaking enough to really affect the level on the stick, but I have an extra quart of synthetic on hand anyhow, plus synthetic doesn't have near the burnoff, sludge build up, and it flows and coats better so I use it in all my vehicles, plus you can use a synthetic rated filter and go 6-9K between changes easily. Wally World has the Fram synthetic filters and you can get a 5 qt jug of brand name full synth both for about $30 and change, well worth it considering the "instant" drive in places will run you that much or more for standard oil and upwards of $90 for full synth.

Clinton

Reaction score
I have a paper gasket glued to my Crane Diff cover , been on and off a dozen times and no leaks at all. Old drag racers trick

Yeah I just picked up a Felpro paper gasket from AZ for 4 bucks, I'll bite the bullet and take of the cover I guess lol, although now that I see those pictures of the gaskets with the rubber seals I would have ordered those instead, ah well... next time maybe hah!

QcHemi

Reaction score
Oh it's red with black/tan interior, been looking on eBay for the visor clip, Jeep said they couldn't get them or the floor mats anymore... found the clip for 12 and the mats are like 70-80 used for the OEM fabric ones so I may just get the trimmable rubber ones with the logo on them. They also said they couldn't get the wheel cover, which by that point I was just like whatever with them because I know they have wheel covers lol, saw the OEM ones on eBay for like 50-60. Someone took off the stock 215's that the build sheet said it came with and put on 235's... spare is a 225 though so go figure lmao!

I just ordered the visor clip on Amazon...2 days later it was here and installed..:happy160: