Need to Replace Radiator. Which one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all prolly gettin tired of me......

I found a hairline crack in the plastic of the radiator, right at the top. Was going to try to fix it, but it's real close to a seam.

I searched on Autozone, $177, and Rock Auto which is a lot lower but has a lot of different manufacturers. Ive read that I should stay away from some Chinese made ones, but I don't know which is which. So,,,,question is can somebody recommend a brand from Rock?

Sub Question: Has the tow package. The electric fan don't work, and I just put a new fan clutch on the other one. Along with water pump, thermostat and hoses. Since I've got the other fan, do I really need the electric one?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all prolly gettin tired of me......

I found a hairline crack in the plastic of the radiator, right at the top. Was going to try to fix it, but it's real close to a seam.

I searched on Autozone, $177, and Rock Auto which is a lot lower but has a lot of different manufacturers. Ive read that I should stay away from some Chinese made ones, but I don't know which is which. So,,,,question is can somebody recommend a brand from Rock?

Sub Question: Has the tow package. The electric fan don't work, and I just put a new fan clutch on the other one. Along with water pump, thermostat and hoses. Since I've got the other fan, do I really need the electric one?
Yes you need the electic. The clutch fan is not intended to be the main. Anyways for the radiator go mopar.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mopar, I went with Spectra before and it cracked in under a year! No issues with my Mopar rad.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My buddy Chris went through 11 of those in less than two years, finally went with a MOPAR and no issues since

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix the electric cooling fan 1st before you drive it again,it's the main cooling fan and the mechanical fan is not rated for nor enough to keep the engine temps in check.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix the electric cooling fan 1st before you drive it again,it's the main cooling fan and the mechanical fan is not rated for nor enough to keep the engine temps in check.

Wow! Seriously? That thing puts out a storm! I've already done 4 separate 45 mile trips plus a few shorter drives. I'd've never guessed that

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So apparently I need to know my transmission type. How do tell that? Plate on ****** to find?

It would help us and you if you filled out what year you have etc , that way we can tell right away what differences yours has when there is a problem

cradthebad

Reaction score
Get the Mopar. I was stupid and went with the cheaper option, Carquest is the brand from Advance Auto Parts and its absolute junk. Started leaking from the internal transmission fluid cooler inside the radiator within 4 months. Also to see which transmission you have look at the transmission pan and see how many bolts are holding it on, if there are 15 then you have the 45RFE, if you have 13 then you have the 42RLE.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So apparently I need to know my transmission type. How do tell that? Plate on ****** to find?

Just look at the pan. 13 bolts = 42rle / 15 bolts = 45rfe

left 42rle // right 45rfe

Attachments

• 42trpanrtvse.jpg
    42trpanrtvse.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 45rfe-transmission-oil-pan-3.jpg
    45rfe-transmission-oil-pan-3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 10

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input folks. After a couple days of thinking I've decided on mopar. Dealer wants 250 + tax. Have to find on cheaper. And I'll have to tap out the air bleed plug. Dealer don't even stock those.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input folks. After a couple days of thinking I've decided on mopar. Dealer wants 250 + tax. Have to find on cheaper. And I'll have to tap out the air bleed plug. Dealer don't even stock those.

Before you mess with that plug unless it's leaking , just fill from the overflow bottle. Start it up with the radiator cap off and add fluid letting it run for a little bit. Then put the pressure cap on and let it come up to temp. Keep
An eye on it you may have to add more fluid. I've done mine this way several times now and have not had a problem with air in the system. It takes more time but avoids that bleed screw.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given all the radiator failures I read on here I have to wonder what is so great about using a Mopa replacement?

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given all the radiator failures I read on here I have to wonder what is so great about using a Mopa replacement?

LOL! Me too!! But I've also read consumer reviews of other radiator which seem to fail any where between a few months and a couple years. This jeep is an 03, and due to the upper inlet being partially eaten away due to corrosion, I'd bet it's original. That's 12 years.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! Me too!! But I've also read consumer reviews of other radiator which seem to fail any where between a few months and a couple years. This jeep is an 03, and due to the upper inlet being partially eaten away due to corrosion, I'd bet it's original. That's 12 years.

I have 1997 and 1990 Fords with their original radiators - and the 1990 is seeing daily use now that the 2005 Liberty is in the shop - again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.