Need tires before lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to get a new set of tires before it starts snowing, the stock GY HP's are already useless in the rain, but I only have the cash for a lift or tires, but not both.

I'm trying to figure out the largest tire I can run without a lift, that won't look stupid once I'm lifted. I currently have the dreaded chrome clad 17's that I'm not opposed to getting rid of.

I can get a set of BFG T/A KO's in 30x9.5x15 with 4 15x7 steelies for around $937 out the door.

They're only a 1/4" wider and just under an inch taller than stock, with the right offset/BS, would the fit with minimal rubbing? I can live with rub at full lock since I won't be offroading until I get a lift.

But would they look tiny once I lift it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot depends on two things;
A) how much your stock suspension has already sagged
B) backspacing on the wheels you are looking at buying

A member on LOST thought he could get by using that size and 15X7s only to find out it rubbed way too much, he then had to do a clevis and top plate lift just to be able to drive it.

Will they look small? depends on how much you lift it

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe some cheaper tires and used rims? You can save a couple of hundred bucks by not paying for the Mall Terain name. I am not sure what is available to you in Canuckia to make another suggestion, though. Craigslist,etc...always has 15x8 4.5 BP rims for cheap if you want to try the 15" route. Then you could do a budget lift...rear spacers ( available used regularly for cheap) and front clevis/shim plate...to be able to run the larger tires until you get another lift if the budget version proves unacceptable to you.

Otherwise, find some dime a dozen KJ 16" stockers and 245/70/16's or 235/75/16's. Pay careful attention to the aspect ratio on those unusual sizes: mix them up and you will have a short tire or one that is too tall for no lift.

30x9's will not look tiny and probably won't work well without a lift, anyway. The easiest, most versatile, least trouble tire size for a lifted KJ is 245/75/16 and most of them are 30.5-30.75" tall. Many folks space their tires out so that they "look" bigger and maybe that would be an option for you later of you wanted the tires to be more exposed once lifted.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just my suggestion. I would get some used tires until you have enough to lift and get tires. I think those tires are too big now and will be too small later. I think they will look skinny maybe more than anything. Look at craigslist, there are always people with tires on there. That's how I got my spare, I didn't feel like hanging 200 bucks on the tailgate so instead I hung 40 bucks.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already checked kijiji, the canadian equivalent of craigs, and there's nothing on there with tread left lol

The other option is to go with a 245/65-17, they're 1/4" wider 1/2" taller.

I can get a set of toyo open country a/t's installed for $682USD at belle tire in MI, or a set of Motomaster total terrain A/P (canadian tire store brand, usually made my michelin or cooper) for around $750CDN. The total terrains are more of a highway tire, but the few reviews I've found they don't sound bad.

If I went with the 245/65-17's they wouldn't look quite as odd once lifted until I got new tires.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
<--- whole hearteldy agrees with used tires... you might be able to get a set of 4 snow tires for about $100-200 depending on how picky you are

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a question
why or how can you drop $1000 on rims and tires but not
$1200 on a lift and tires?
I found Firesstone AT' for $130 each in a 245/70 R17 ,about the same size as a
245/75 R16
which many many people run with OME springs
then OME springs and shocks for another $550-600
rough numbers shows $1200 is lift and 5 new tires

just asking

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because I'm in Canada lol

I can get tires under $700USD installed at belle tire in michigan, but shipping/duty screws everything up for the lift.

I've found OME springs for ~$300 + shipping, shocks are another storey.

Even going with the 4wd hardware 2" (rebranded BDS) and adding rancho 5000's for the front is still $619 + shipping.

And it's winter in Canada and I don't have a garage to put the lift on, in. And working 6 days a week on midnights doesn't help either lol

Trust me I'd rather do and OME lift with some spacers and run 31's, and do it right the 1st time, but it's just not possible to get the lift installed before snow starts falling, and I'm already using FT 4WD in the rain, the stock wranglers are junk even with 6/32's left.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Mr. Personality who has a Jetta station wagon, not a Liberty, strikes again...:happy175:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr. Personality who has a Jetta station wagon, not a Liberty, strikes again...:happy175:

:freak3:
really a Jetta wagon
not quite
not even the same platform
VW Tiguan ,same platform as the GTI
look it up ,learn some facts
out performs EVERY vehicle in the class ,even the V6's
and gets 26-28 real world MPG doing it

oh and I sold the KJ for a reason.........

and if common sense is personality
then I have it coming out of my ears
probably why we sold the 17mpg Jeep for a 27 mpg car when the DD jumped from 3 miles to 30+ miles one way
common sense ,or maybe just maybe we really did not need 2 lifted ,1 moded, Jeeps to keep up with

Last edited:

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going with 245/65-17 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS, $686 out the door. Made an appointment for saturday afternoon at discount.

Found out we're scheduled to keep working 6 days a week for at least the 1st 30 weeks next year, so no point in lifting for bigger tires if it's just going to sit in the parking lot at work.

Thanks for the input guys.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the new rubber installed today, I think they look great.

Definitely more stable, definitely stiffer, and definitely heavier lol

So far no rubbing at full lock or driving through michigan on the way back to the border.

Crappy cell phone pics:

You must be registered for see images