Need some trade advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really thinking about trading in my 2006 2wd Libby for a 2003 4wd Liberty Renegade. It's black :icon_smile: and is priced to sell at $7,995.

I checked out my Liberty's trade value on KBB. And it said it was worth
6,900. I'm figuring it would be worth a little less since it was in an accident. Maybe 6,500? Pritz fixed it up good tho. I've had no problems since the accident.

But what trade price do you guys think would be fair for my 2wd KJ?

My Jeep is in good condition. Even tho it's a 2wd I've taken care of it. Has 90,000 miles on it.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
problem with looking at kbb for a trade in value is they dont look at the
current market relative to fuel prices
considering that fuel will probably hit $3.50 a gallon before the end of the summer
the demand for a 17 mpg compact SUV ,the class of the KJ, is going to be very small
I would bet you will get less than $6K trade in
I could be wrong and hope I am
you should go and see you can always say no thanks

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the accident damage was fixed right, I would discuss it but I wouldn't lower the price just for it. When I sold a car like that I had before and after pictures. It would be interesting to see if the accident shows up on a Carfax report.

I will say that the dealer isn't going to care what the KBB price is and will probably lowball you. See what Carmax will offer. They can ship the 2WD Libby down south where there is more of a demand.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the accident damage was fixed right, I would discuss it but I wouldn't lower the price just for it. When I sold a car like that I had before and after pictures. It would be interesting to see if the accident shows up on a Carfax report.

I will say that the dealer isn't going to care what the KBB price is and will probably lowball you. See what Carmax will offer. They can ship the 2WD Libby down south where there is more of a demand.

dont be so sure about "shipping it down south"
any vehicle that gets poor mpg sits on the lot right now
KJ = poor MPG

like I said before we had a low milage KJ LTD with nothing left off
lifted with new rubber
local high school kid "bought it" and we still got low balled
and gas was closer to $2.50 then
a dealer will know this and low ball you even more
remember they need to turn a profit

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree about the fuel prices. But somebody isn't going to buy a Jeep for good fuel mileage or good JD Power ratings. Although the KJ was a Consumer Reports recoomended buy for a couple of years, somebody has to want a Jeep in particular to buy it.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I recently got OVER Blue Book for a trade in...

What the negative nancies in this thread do not understand is that used car values, no matter which vehicle are up right now as the used car market is HOT with people on budgets, not buying as many new vehicles as before, and as a result, trade in values are up as well. I'd imagine that you COULD get close to Blue Book if everything checks out right.

And never, EVER tell them about an accident.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently got OVER Blue Book for a trade in...

What the negative nancies in this thread do not understand is that used car values, no matter which vehicle are up right now as the used car market is HOT with people on budgets, not buying as many new vehicles as before, and as a result, trade in values are up as well. I'd imagine that you COULD get close to Blue Book if everything checks out right.

And never, EVER tell them about an accident.

what you say is very true
used car values are up but it is just that
CARS are up
gas drinking SUV's are sitting and dealers know this ,they had them sitting
even a year + ago ,we were offered an H3 Adventure ,I think that was the package, basically a near $40K SUV with under 20K miles on it for $25K
because they "were having trouble moving it" however we wanted something that got better MPG not worse
same can and will be said about a 90K mile KJ
now if it were a 90K mile Civic you would get KBB and maybe even some extra

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPG's mean nothing,it's how much and how fast they can sell it for is how they judge how much they will give you and will vary from place to place.Small 4wd SUV prices are shyrocketing this winter due to the bad storms and mpg's is not a factor in that.I know the 2 local Jeep dealerships here are paying top dollar for '04-'06 4wd KJ's,they sell real fast here.

Any Hummer is hard to sell,just like any Saturn is today as poeple get scared when they know the "company" is no longer around.

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TJKJ2002 hit the nail on the head. Here's the thing though... If the 2003 is going for that cheap why would they be willing to pay you top dollar on your trade-in? Obviously in your market the KJ's are a bit soft. If the two are in similiar condition I suspect that you can expect to pay an additional $1,800 to $2,200 difference for the Renegade. That being said, DO IT MAN!!! Ofcourse I maybe a little biased... I have an '04 black Renny and love it.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
what you say is very true
used car values are up but it is just that
CARS are up
gas drinking SUV's are sitting and dealers know this ,they had them sitting
even a year + ago ,we were offered an H3 Adventure ,I think that was the package, basically a near $40K SUV with under 20K miles on it for $25K
because they "were having trouble moving it" however we wanted something that got better MPG not worse
same can and will be said about a 90K mile KJ
now if it were a 90K mile Civic you would get KBB and maybe even some extra

All false. Period. Been there and done that. Experienced it.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All false. Period. Been there and done that. Experienced it.

you do realize that I was driving when you were 3 years old right?
I bought my first car when you were 5
try be mindful that there are older people who have been around the block
more than once before you make statements like this

oh and if you think I am wrong
do some simple math
take the % of loss from the MSRP on a civic VS a Jeep any thing
you will find that the Jeep looses a far higher %
same can be done for any car that gets over 30 mpg VS any suv
mind you same year and miles or you can favor 1 or the other