Need Some Lift Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I don't want to come across as noobish, but I need some help picking out a lift for my 2003 kj (build date 09/2002 not sure if it is pre lowered). I have been doing research for hours and have only confused myself. The kj will be my daily driver and is 2wd. It may see a light to moderate trail once or twice per month and I will be putting a rear locker in to try to get the most out of 2wd. I need to find a lift on the cheaper side (at most $400 if possible) that can clear 245/75/16 AT's. I will be installing this lift myself so the easier the install the better. What do you off road experts recommend for my kj. I have a good amount of tools and 1 other person to help me install this lift. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Jacob

birdtail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME / Old Man Emu

All others will either ride rough or sag relatively quickly.

The OME is worth the money. If you get a cheap lift like Rough Country it will sag back to stock height in about a year.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Save for OME 927 front & 948 rear springs.
Then 2 new standard KJ shocks for front (Bilstien or OME)
Then 2 new lifted shocks for rear. OME or Bilstien.
Good info is in the KJ lift section.
Along with lift which will give you a better ride, two Tera-flex front bump stops..
and Some Vancouver Canucks hockey pucks (soon to be Cup Champs!) for bump stops rear.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For a almost ten year old vehicle 400 dollar range is not going to get it, your springs and shocks need replacing the way it is now. Save up an extra 400 and do it the right way, better ride etc

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the help,
I think I have settled on Rusty's 2.5" suspension lift. I need to order a lift soon as I need new tires and I am going to order treadwrights 245/75/16 guard dogs and I do not have enough time to save for the frankenlift or OME lift before I need to order these tires as my current tires are shot.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the help,
I think I have settled on Rusty's 2.5" suspension lift. I need to order a lift soon as I need new tires and I am going to order treadwrights 245/75/16 guard dogs and I do not have enough time to save for the frankenlift or OME lift before I need to order these tires as my current tires are shot.

dont do that
the Rustys lift is not worth it
I know of 1 KJ locally that got the Rustys coil lift a month after I got the OME
med. coils
at the time we were the same hight
a year latter I was nearly a full inch taller

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Rustys springs are rated the same as stock so not a wise choice.
I installed one Rustys lift ( under protest) tried to tell them but....within 20,000 miles it was down to an inch over stock height at 25,000 was back to stock height, rear shocks lasted even less time and had to be replaced, never did ride good at all and had a lot of bouncing and poor handeling
If you want to throw money away it a good place to do it though!:shrug:

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save for OME 927 front & 948 rear springs.
Then 2 new standard KJ shocks for front (Bilstien or OME)
Then 2 new lifted shocks for rear. OME or Bilstien.
Good info is in the KJ lift section.
Along with lift which will give you a better ride, two Tera-flex front bump stops..
and Some Vancouver Canucks hockey pucks (soon to be Cup Champs!) for bump stops rear.

Not if my Bruins have anything to say about it ;)

Go with the OME/Bilstein set up. It's $660 from Jeepin By Al's and is of far better quality than Rusty's.

yosemite.kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a cheap idea. You could add a rear spacer lift/extra iso's/longer shocks and put 245/75's on in the back since its 2wd. You could not rotate tires front to back, though. Add a clevis to the front to help level it.
No I'm just kidding, but how sick would that look!! Raked with big tires in the back.:headbang:
Seriously, get ome or check out "wesway" lift for ideas.

2007 with 93,00:
1/2 in. clevis lift w/one pair of extra rear iso's. (A $25 lift)
245/70R16 Hankook DynaPro A/T tires
Other Stuff

Last edited:

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a cheap idea. You could add a rear spacer lift/extra iso's/longer shocks and put 245/75's on in the back since its 2wd. You could not rotate tires front to back, though. Add a clevis to the front to help level it.
No I'm just kidding, but how sick would that look!! Raked with big tires in the back.:headbang:
Seriously, get ome or check out "wesway" lift for ideas.

2007 with 93,00:
1/2 in. clevis lift w/one pair of extra rear iso's. (A $25 lift)
245/70R16 Hankook DynaPro A/T tires
Other Stuff

hahaha, I think I am going to get Rusty's 2.5" suspension lift instead!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha, I think I am going to get Rusty's 2.5" suspension lift instead!

Here is your LAST WARNING!

DO NOT GET THE RUSTY'S LIFT! IT IS NOT GOOD AT ALL.

if you want 245 75 tires, do the wesway lift.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43643

That will get you by as you save for the OME/bilstein lift. Do not throw away everyone's help here. Most have already been there and done that and we've seen lots not take the advice and always regret it later.

Just trying to help you out, but if you go with Rusty's, Happy Sagging!

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Rustys 2.5 in suspension lift on my wifes 02 Liberty in october 2010. This morning I checked and its still sitting at 21 1/4 inches from center of hub to the fender at all 4 corners. We dont do any off roading so maybe thats why it hasnt sagged. It looks and rides great plus we got our lift while it was on sale.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Rustys 2.5 in suspension lift on my wifes 02 Liberty in october 2010. This morning I checked and its still sitting at 21 1/4 inches from center of hub to the fender at all 4 corners. We dont do any off roading so maybe thats why it hasnt sagged. It looks and rides great plus we got our lift while it was on sale.

so it's been what? 8 months? So what was it when it was put on?

My OME has sagged 1/2 inch after 13 months.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend staying away from the Rusty's springs too. I had Rusty's springs on the rear of my KJ for about a year. As has been mentioned several ties already, they are soft springs. Having a stock rate spring in a longer length for a lift actually makes for an even more soft ride. I went from Daystar spacer lift with stock springs to Rusty's rear springs, to SkyJacker rear springs. The rear suspension was very squishy with the Rusty's springs. Daystar spacer in the rear was actually a better ride. But the SkyJacker rear springs are the best by far. They are a tad stiffer than the OME 948's. But good luck finding a set. I got one of the last new pair available in the country, I think.

If you are dead set on getting the Rusty's lift, at least firm up the rear with a set of these shocks that Tom put on his. They would give you a little extra spring rate to compensate for the too-soft ride. See Tom's springs here: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=638116

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder why some ask for suggestions
other times I wonder why we suggest the best way to do things
some listen and learn
others :disgust::shrug:

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allot of dreamers on all forums Tom!
Sometime I think that these folks just want to take part and be part
of the gang!

Indeed. The best posts which rarely happen are the...well...you were right it sagged or yeap it only lasted X. :happy175:

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is your LAST WARNING!

DO NOT GET THE RUSTY'S LIFT! IT IS NOT GOOD AT ALL.

if you want 245 75 tires, do the wesway lift.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43643

That will get you by as you save for the OME/bilstein lift. Do not throw away everyone's help here. Most have already been there and done that and we've seen lots not take the advice and always regret it later.

Just trying to help you out, but if you go with Rusty's, Happy Sagging!

I appreciate all the help, if the wesway lift will clear 245/75/16's then I will do that instead of rusty's and will save for the ome. I did not think a 3/4" lift would clear 245/75/16's MT's. I am looking at 245/75/16 treadwright guard dogs (old goodyear mtr design) which measure out to a 30.9" diameter but some have gotten theirs in, and they were larger and smaller than that by a few tenths of an inch. Will these clear the pinch weld after I flatten it? I am not too worried about rubbing because I should be able to get the OME lift by the end of the year.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First thing you do is measure where you are now, if it has already sagged to 18 inches or so going with a wesway or whatever its called will only get you back to maybe stock height.
Measure from the center of the wheel to bottom of the flare and report back. When mine was stock and new 245-70s fit good with only rubbing being backing up and turned all the way.
I've done several lifts on 03-04-05s that were down to 18 inches and below