Need some input..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArcsandSparks

Reaction score
I purchased a 2007 KJ a few days ago, and I already have a 1.5" OME lift kit and Cragar Soft 8's sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.

My question is, with running a 245 tire over the stock 225, am I going to run into issues with the ABS system?

I know I need to replace the speedometer gear, but do I need to do anything else?

While I have a thread going... I'll introduce myself.

I'm Nate, I'm 32, I'm trained in Mig, Tig, Arc, and Oxy-Acetylene forms of welding, and I've owned Jeeps all my life. My first car was a Jeep, and my last will be too :ROFLJest:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Gee, that's a damn good question that I cannot answer for you!
But I am going to take an educated guess.
I think that if you have the pinion reset mod done to correct the speedo reading then that would also reconfigure the ABS on your Rig.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

ArcsandSparks

Reaction score
Gee, that's a damn good question that I cannot answer for you!
But I am going to take an educated guess.
I think that if you have the pinion reset mod done to correct the speedo reading then that would also reconfigure the ABS on your Rig.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

What is the pinion reset mod?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Dealer does magic to the computer. Wheel revs if not mistaken.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
What is the pinion reset mod?

The dealership service department hooks up their Snap on computer and plugs in the new tire size, the revolutions per mile (676 for a 245-75-16) and your KJ now reads the correct speed as well as the transmission shifts when it should.
(Keeping it simple... I'm fried right now)

Look through the following links below.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41160&highlight=pinion+reset
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48652&highlight=pinion+reset
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40767&highlight=pinion+reset

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nate
There isn't any gear to change in the KJs, sounds like you are coming from the Wrangler or XJ world where you have to do that. Everything is done through the computer to reset the speedo etc

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 and when I put my 245/75/16s on my speedo was dead on. It was off by 3mph prior so you may get lucky and not need to reset anything

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 and when I put my 245/75/16s on my speedo was dead on. It was off by 3mph prior so you may get lucky and not need to reset anything

same story here, was 8 km an hour light on my speedo according to my gps. I anticipate the same "fix" when I upgrade my rubber.

Worth checking.