2005 CRD - Need alternator clutch pulley and crankshaft sensor to be replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwilinski

Reaction score
I need an alternator clutch pulley and a crankshaft sensor to be replaced n my 2005 Liberty CRD. I live in Minneapolis MN. Does anyone have a recommendation as to who might be able to do this for me?

osbro168

Reaction score
Your alternator doesn't have a clutch if you ask someone to change they will think its some kinda joke your A/C does.

jwilinski

Reaction score
Okay. Is it just called an alternator pulley? It’s what I’m told is causing the chirping sound while idling.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
CRDs have an alternator decoupler made by Litens and they go bad. You'll see rusty dust around the hub of the pulley when they go bad and they can then develop "Chirpies", a canaryal disease; sadly, untweetable. I think an impact gun is used to disssmount from the alternator shaft but I haven't done mine yet.

jwilinski

Reaction score
I’m a bit confused. What is the part called that is causing the chirping that needs to be removed and replaced?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m a bit confused. What is the part called that is causing the chirping that needs to be removed and replaced?
It's an 'alternator freewheel clutch' I charged mine a few years ago, there are 2 different types I believe, mine has two female hex fitting so to remove it I welded 2 M12 (?not sure on the size check!) Nuts together so I could undo the pully with a spanner and an allan key fits in the hole in the nuts to hold the shaft still.
The other type has a spline instead of the larger hex so needs a special tool.

I'm off shift on Thursday if you aren't any further ahead I'll see if I can get a picture of the tools I used.

jwilinski

Reaction score
It's an 'alternator freewheel clutch' I charged mine a few years ago, there are 2 different types I believe, mine has two female hex fitting so to remove it I welded 2 M12 (?not sure on the size check!) Nuts together so I could undo the pully with a spanner and an allan key fits in the hole in the nuts to hold the shaft still.
The other type has a spline instead of the larger hex so needs a special tool.

I'm off shift on Thursday if you aren't any further ahead I'll see if I can get a picture of the tools I used.
Is this the tool needed?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need a puller, it's screwed on. You need the hollow tool to unscrew it while you hold the shaft.
This is the splined version
You must be registered for see images attach

And this is the hex version
You must be registered for see images attach