Need QUIET Tires Real Bad, Any Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
Hi All,

This for my wife's 2006 Liberty Sport 4x4.
Maintaining stock rim & tire size.

My wife is going nuts with road noise from her Liberty tires. I cannot blame the tires because I think they developed a rumble from being towed behind our motor home. The tires happen to be Firestone Destinations, now with about 25,000 miles on them.

I bought a second set of stock (5 spoke Renegade) rims from one of you here. This allows for a dedicated second set for spring/summer/fall local driving, NEVER tow behind our motor home, NEVER in winter, NEVER off-road.

So.....I seek the most quiet and comfortable riding tires that are reasonably priced.

I assume the stock size 225/75 will offer a more comfortable & quiet ride over the alternate stock 235/70s.

Any suggestion on a particular tire?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to get much quieter than the Destinations
As far as size that has nothing at all to do with noise of the tires.
How often did you rotate them when being towed behind your motor home?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She needs a better stereo system then! lol
What kind of tires are on the second set, and have you road tested them for noise?

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
Hey, Thanks for stepping into my thread here.

Rotating the tires has been done a few times, but to be honest, all it accomplished is to make all 4 tires rumble. I think what is happening when being towed behind the motor home, the front tires lag behind in the turns, so there is minor skidding of the front tires until the Liberty steering wheel catches up to the direction of the motor home. This only during sharp turns.

Also, I cannot rule out the possibility that the tow brake might have the Liberty tires skid if I set braking sensitivity too high.

I do recall the Destinations being fairly quiet when new, but during/after our first vacation towed behind the motor home, the rumble had begun.

I figured on using the rumbling Destinations on OEM wheels as the sacrificial lamb on trips and winter time. My wife can tolerate the rumble for 3 months, not all year long.

The new tires could have a less aggressive thread pattern to achieve most quiet results for 9 months of her around town driving.

BTW: the second set of wheels didn't come with tires. I seek to buy new quiet affordable tires for them.

We bought the Liberty used in 2009 with near 30,000 miles with the original Good Year tires and they too rumbled badly at the time which had us buy the Destinations at around 35,000 miles. Here we are now with 60,000 miles and back to the old problem. The tire thread doesn't look bad, so I want to use them part-time for trips & winter. I figure I can swap wheels and tires to make my girl happy 3/4 of the year, hence, seeking the most quiet tire available with no application for winter driving.

Last edited:

07 liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through 2 sets of destination AT's on my 07. They were a quiet tire at first but after I got about 20,000 miles or so on them they would get loud. Drove me nuts for a while because I was convinced it was a wheel bearing or something else mechanical. Put a new set on and was just as quiet as can be until i once again hit about 20,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
I went through 2 sets of destination AT's on my 07. They were a quiet tire at first but after I got about 20,000 miles or so on them they would get loud. Drove me nuts for a while because I was convinced it was a wheel bearing or something else mechanical. Put a new set on and was just as quiet as can be until i once again hit about 20,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I assume you never towed your 07 Liberty behind a motor home during the 20,000 mile period?

I am looking for a tire that will remain quiet throughout it's life, or reasonably quiet till the end. Our Destinations with 25,000 truly play with "The Mind". There is plenty of thread left, sinful to considering throwing them away. They can still do their job in winter and when being towed.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you never towed your 07 Liberty behind a motor home during the 20,000 mile period?

I am looking for a tire that will remain quiet throughout it's life, or reasonably quiet till the end. Our Destinations with 25,000 truly play with "The Mind". There is plenty of thread left, sinful to considering throwing them away. They can still do their job in winter and when being towed.
All tires get louder as they wear.

You will have to look into luxury specific car tires but they may not be made in the size needed and they will make the ride terrible and will not last due to the KJ's weight.

You can try Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus(expensive) or Destination LE2's.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I'd personally vote for the Destination LE2s for a quieter ride. I like my ATs but only have about 15k on them. I've had many sets of Michelin's on different vehicles and never had a set that were loud, but if looking for a bargain might consider Definity A/T or M/T. I've heard good things from several people. They're made by Cooper and sold by Pepboys around here.

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input.

I never did share that my noisy Destinations with 25,000 miles of wear are A/Ts. They are P235/70/R16 matching my door sticker, confirmed last night. I looked at the LEs and was favoring them per your inputs, but the expense had me hurting. I decided to search the web for the cheapest P235/70/R16 tires I could find, just to have something to compare. I found 5 tires for $250 cheaper, Prodigy H/Ts at Discount tire for $73 each x 5 tires. They are made by Yokohama. I am not worried about thread-wear life, figuring it's probably better to change tires more frequently for the sake of developing road noise as they wear. They will be on the vehicle spring/summer/fall, so I am thinking they will do the job well. Unless you can change my mind in the next few hours, my wife is heading out this afternoon and bringing them home for me to mount & balance myself tomorrow evening. I do have access to the equipment to get the job done right.

Here are the tires I decided on.
Tire Details - Discount Tire

Last edited:

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea if true or not, but I have heard other toad users over inflate somewhat. I think the more passenger car style you use, the quieter you will be. The more closed the outer tread is the better.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Destination LE2, as quiet as you can get for a Highway Tire on truck or SUV that gives you all season traction. HL Aleznas from Bridgestone are fine but suck in snow.

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
Just a follow-up to what I did and the intial results.

I decided to go for the cheapest 235-70-16 tires I could find, figuring it is better to replace the tires more often instead of trying to get my money's worth from more expensive tires.

Discount Tire has Prodigy H/T for $73 a piece. Prodigy is made by Yokohama. I bought & installed them on my wife's Liberty a week ago. They are very quiet and also offer a nice ride, I assume because they are brand new. Time will tell if they can keep it up over the miles. They are to be dedicated spring/summer/fall street-use tires on a second set of rims so I don't care how they would perform in snow, off-road, or mud. That is what my noisy Destination A/Ts are saved for.

BTW: I spun-balanced my Destination A/Ts before stacking them in the garage. The inside edges are choppy which explains the noise. I assume the strange wear is from 4x4ing and from being towed behind the motor home.